Reload this Page >

Knitting supplies

Knitting supplies

Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

xirles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Knitting supplies

Hi All,

Having just found out I am going to be a grandma, I have this strange urge to have a go at knitting. Does anyone know of any wool/knitting supply shops around Benidorm/Albir/Altea areas?

Thanks in anticipation!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knitting supplies

Congratulations.

My wife buys all her wool from the local Chinese "multi precio" shop here in Sevilla. She tells me that it's of surprisingly good quality.
I'm sure there must be a few of these shops around your area.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Congratulations.

My wife buys all her wool from the local Chinese "multi precio" shop here in Sevilla. She tells me that it's of surprisingly good quality.
I'm sure there must be a few of these shops around your area.
I found that the wool in the Chinese shops around this area to be of very poor quality. With baby things needing to be washed so much I would advise that you buy good quality wool or all of your hard work could be ruined in the first wash.

Rosemary
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:42 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xirles
Hi All,

Having just found out I am going to be a grandma, I have this strange urge to have a go at knitting. Does anyone know of any wool/knitting supply shops around Benidorm/Albir/Altea areas?

Thanks in anticipation!

Hi xirles,

Congratulations

So you are a knitter, I am a bit of a "hooker" myself.

There is a small (really tiny) wool shop in Benidorm if you walk along Levante beach to where the old town starts, then walk with your back to the sea, it might be off c/Apollo (I think) the shop will be down a little narrow street.

I have been there a couple of times, but dont know the name of the shop or the street, but I can picture it in my mind.

It could possibly be this shop, it fits the general area and how I found it the first time.

It has a large window, all glass, glass front door, with a lovely display of yarns.

I hope you find it.

As Rosemary said, it is not a good idea to buy the Chinese shop wool, it will be a wasted effort.

A friend of mine knitted a ManU kit, jumper, scarf, it washed terrible, lucky it was only for the DOG
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:07 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Hi xirles,

Congratulations

So you are a knitter, I am a bit of a "hooker" myself.

There is a small (really tiny) wool shop in Benidorm if you walk along Levante beach to where the old town starts, then walk with your back to the sea, it might be off c/Apollo (I think) the shop will be down a little narrow street.

I have been there a couple of times, but dont know the name of the shop or the street, but I can picture it in my mind.

It could possibly be this shop, it fits the general area and how I found it the first time.

It has a large window, all glass, glass front door, with a lovely display of yarns.

I hope you find it.

As Rosemary said, it is not a good idea to buy the Chinese shop wool, it will be a wasted effort.

A friend of mine knitted a ManU kit, jumper, scarf, it washed terrible, lucky it was only for the DOG
I have sat here picturing the shop that you mentioned and remember that it was a good shop selling good yarn. When we last went to Benidorm (more than 2 years ago) we did not know where any of the crafty shops were and the tourist info place gave us a map and marked them all on it for us and this shop was amongst them.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Nov 10th 2011 at 8:45 am.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:39 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I have sat here picturing the shopt that you mentioned and remember that it was a good shop selling good yarn. When we last went to Benidorm (more than 2 years ago) we did not know where any of the crafty shops were and the tourist info place gave us a map and marked them all on it for us and this shop was amongst them.

Rosemary
I went there in the summer, I met friends who were staying in a hotel and needed to do something while lounging by the pool.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name or the address, though, like you the rest is crystal clear in my mind.

Is that a bad sign for the future?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I found that the wool in the Chinese shops around this area to be of very poor quality. With baby things needing to be washed so much I would advise that you buy good quality wool or all of your hard work could be ruined in the first wash.

Rosemary
All I can say is don't knock it until you have tried it.
My wife has made hundreds of baby items out of this wool over the past 5-6 yrs and sold them all over the world. She has never had any complaints about the quality.
Lots of customers have even returned asking for bigger sizes as their babies grow out of the originals.

No doubt these things get washed frequently.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 4:53 pm

Rosemary
Originally Posted by big wheels
All I can say is don't knock it until you have tried it.
My wife has made hundreds of baby items out of this wool over the past 5-6 yrs and sold them all over the world. She has never had any complaints about the quality.
Lots of customers have even returned asking for bigger sizes as their babies grow out of the originals.

No doubt these things get washed frequently.
If you look at my post I have stated that in this area it is of poor quality, I did not say that I thought it might be poor quality, I said it is poor quality, therefore I think that you should have realised that I have indeed tried it. As a professional knitter I would not use their wool and therefore I felt it important to point out to a beginner that they may find that the Chinese shops vary in quality. Glad that you have had a different experience, no need to be so aggressive with your post.

Rosemary
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:10 pm
Banned

If you look at my post I have stated that in this area it is of poor quality, I did not say that I thought it might be poor quality, I said it is poor quality, therefore I think that you should have realised that I have indeed tried it. As a professional knitter I would not use their wool and therefore I felt it important to point out to a beginner that they may find that the Chinese shops vary in quality. Glad that you have had a different experience, no need to be so aggressive with your post.

Rosemary
The crocheting cotton for sale in the todo shops, Egyptian cotton is very good and so cheap around 2 euros, but being either 12, 8 or 5 I feel it is too fine to knit with.

I must agree with Rosemary about the quality of the knitting yarns though, knitting is not a cheap hobby, it is more expensive than buying a finished article in most cases.

It would be such a shame to put in a lot of work, making a baby present only for it to be ruined as it does tend to get "balled" with the slightest bit of friction, usually on the sleeves.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by me me
The crocheting cotton for sale in the todo shops, Egyptian cotton is very good and so cheap around 2 euros, but being either 12, 8 or 5 I feel it is too fine to knit with.

I must agree with Rosemary about the quality of the knitting yarns though, knitting is not a cheap hobby, it is more expensive than buying a finished article in most cases.

It would be such a shame to put in a lot of work, making a baby present only for it to be ruined as it does tend to get "balled" with the slightest bit of friction, usually on the sleeves.
Yes, the crochet cotton is brilliant, I have loads of items crocheted by my neighbour prior to her death and all of the thread was bought from the Chinese shop. Out of interest Me Me what area do you live? Maybe you come under the same suppliers as I do and Big Wheels maybe is in a totally different area and maybe therefore a different supplier.

Have you noticed that in some of the chinese shops they have wool with Made in Spain on the ball band. Fancy them thinking that they can get away with printing it in English and trying to sell it in Spain!!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for the replies and advice! Looking forward to wandering around the old town in Benidorm to find the wool shop. Should be an interesting winter as I only ever knit one baby jacket and that was for my son 28 years ago
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:51 pm

Thank you all so much for the replies and advice! Looking forward to wandering around the old town in Benidorm to find the wool shop. Should be an interesting winter as I only ever knit one baby jacket and that was for my son 28 years ago
Good luck with your shopping. Hope you find something nice to knit and that you enjoy doing it again. If you need any help with reading the pattern or anything feel free to PM me and I will do what I can for you.

Rosemary
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:52 pm
Banned

Yes, the crochet cotton is brilliant, I have loads of items crocheted by my neighbour prior to her death and all of the thread was bought from the Chinese shop. Out of interest Me Me what area do you live? Maybe you come under the same suppliers as I do and Big Wheels maybe is in a totally different area and maybe therefore a different supplier.

Have you noticed that in some of the chinese shops they have wool with Made in Spain on the ball band. Fancy them thinking that they can get away with printing it in English and trying to sell it in Spain!!!!!!

Rosemary
I am in Alicante centre, to tell you the truth I dont even look at the knitting yarn in the chinese shops.

I would rather pay more and get decent stuff.

The novelty yarn and the fantasia types in the Chinese shops are OK, and a hell of lot cheaper than craft or wool shops.

As for the plain yarn, I even hate the feel of it, I donĀ“t know how to explain it, but is sort of sets my teeth on edge.

Anyway I enjoy it and it keeps me out of trouble.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Rosemary. Will let you know if I get stuck! Going to start with something fairly idiot-proof (thought a baby blanket) and take it from there
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:55 pm
Banned

I hope you find it, and happy clicking over the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.