Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Knee replacement surgery in u.k

Knee replacement surgery in u.k

Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:17 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Knee replacement surgery in u.k

Can anyone tell me about aftercare for knee replacement surgery in the u.k. I'm in Italy and due to go to u.k. to assist my mother and it would help if I knew what to expect especially the time I need to stay there.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:30 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knee replacement surgery in u.k

It depends on your mother. If shes reasonably fit then she could recover within 4 - 6 weeks and could be able to look after herself reasonably well within 4. If she´s a little frail or infirm then it can take as long as three months??? The hospital should have an OT team, who will assess both her and her aftercare premises and will help adapt and plan for her aftercare. I would suggest you phone them and discuss what they think the situation will be and they will advise you ????

Jo xx
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:58 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

My mother is reasonably fit but is registered blind and diabetic. Because it is urgent and due to long delays for past surgery her GP has sent her to a private clinic. The surgeon is great but the nursing staff leave a lot to be desired. No information at all has been offered except to say social services will be informed. She lives in a 2nd floor flat with no lift and when she asked how she is supposed to get home the reply went along the lines of 'your husband can pick you up and we'll get you in! Having lived in Italy over 30yrs I have no idea what to expect of the NHS so any information even the simplest, would help greatly.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:12 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get in touch with your mothers gp or her surgery. They will also have an aftercare team who I´m sure will be only too pleased to speak to you as you will take some of the pressure off them, they will talk you through the care plan. There is a lot they and social services can do if they have to. There are home carers who can come in and assist with dressing, washing, toileting and some shopping. Meals on wheels for food, and nursing care for changing any dressings and physio. But I would imagine as far as your mums concerned you´ll be the one she wants there and most of the services that I´ve mentioned above are of course, stretched due to spending cuts etc...!!!

Your mother should be entitled to a carers allowance while she is convalessing (if she´s not getting it already), that info should also be avaiable from the gps surgery or the DSS

Jo
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:32 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

might help

http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-with-and...cement-Surgery
Old Apr 17th 2009, 5:37 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Surely this is nothing to do with the Spanish forum, you should be asking the UK Social Security or DWP.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:45 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by jdr
Surely this is nothing to do with the Spanish forum, you should be asking the UK Social Security or DWP.
Sorry jdr, your right. I did post it on the Italian forum but no one came up with a reply so I tried your's simply because there are more of you and more of you have aging parents. Had a word with the clinic who intend to get her an emergency assessment after the op and before they send her home. Her GP is very helpful.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:51 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:57 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROSALINDANN
Sorry jdr, your right. I did post it on the Italian forum but no one came up with a reply so I tried your's simply because there are more of you and more of you have aging parents. Had a word with the clinic who intend to get her an emergency assessment after the op and before they send her home. Her GP is very helpful.
Glad you got it sorted, I am sure they won`t let her out of hospital without someone to look after her.

PS, I am an aging parent. ;-)) cloudy again today though.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:13 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by jdr
Glad you got it sorted, I am sure they won`t let her out of hospital without someone to look after her.

PS, I am an aging parent. ;-)) http://bestsmileys.com/undersun/6.gif cloudy again today though.
I had gathered you were but I was trying not to be rude!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

If only everyone was so thoughtful!! You know that JDR is going to come looking for you now.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:23 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Mrs P had both knee caps replaced last year. I put this extra wear down to the fact she was a groupie in the sixties.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 5:34 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Mrs P had both knee caps replaced last year. I put this extra wear down to the fact she was a groupie in the sixties.
How long did it take for her to get reasonably mobile again?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:15 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Or may be it was because she was always on her knees at your feet .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.