Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Killing tree stumps with acid

Killing tree stumps with acid

Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Killing tree stumps with acid

I've had a couple of trees cut down, and the man who did the job advised me to treat the remaining stubs with hydrochloric acid sold in some shops (in Mercadona it's Salfuente) to kill the tree stumps.
I've carried out the treatment and been careful using it as I appreciate what it is, however what I want to know is, has this been a waste of time, will this product do as I've been told it will and if not has anyone a better solution (no pun intended!)?
In addition I had to have my palm tree cut down as it had been hit by the dreaded red weavil. I'm left with a small tree stump which looks quite attractive, but I don't want it to start growing again in any way. I know little or nothing about gardening, so my other question is, will this cut down palm tree start growing again even though it was effectively killed by the weavil and would the above treatment ensure it won't?
Thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:48 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Killing tree stumps with acid

Hi

I dug out a palm tree which had died from the dreaded weavil and found grubs in the roots! You really do have to destroy the whole tree.

Davexf
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

I dug out a palm tree which had died from the dreaded weavil and found grubs in the roots! You really do have to destroy the whole tree.

Davexf
Thanks for that Dave. On the small stump I intended to place some decorative feature or pot for plants which I think would make quite a nice feature. Alternatively I'd build something around it to on which to place something.
This stump, although not very high, is very wide and would take more time and expense I think to dig up completely. I certainly couldn't do it!
So, can I just kill it and the roots with something? Hope I can!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks for that Dave. On the small stump I intended to place some decorative feature or pot for plants which I think would make quite a nice feature. Alternatively I'd build something around it to on which to place something.
This stump, although not very high, is very wide and would take more time and expense I think to dig up completely. I certainly couldn't do it!
So, can I just kill it and the roots with something? Hope I can!
Drill a large hole in the top of the stump, big enough to hold just over a pint. Fill hole with a pint of milk and seal. Seal must be rain tight. It will take a few years but will work.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nogard
Drill a large hole in the top of the stump, big enough to hold just over a pint. Fill hole with a pint of milk and seal. Seal must be rain tight. It will take a few years but will work.
Thanks for that tip. Sounds more reasonable than digging up the whole thing!
As a matter of interest, why milk?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know. It was a tip i was given years ago. I have used it and it works!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I do not know. It was a tip i was given years ago. I have used it and it works!
That will do me then, if it works, it works!
Thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:08 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks for that tip. Sounds more reasonable than digging up the whole thing!
As a matter of interest, why milk?
It acts as a feed for bacteria, bacteria help break the stump down.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

dougandfiona is an unknown quantity at this point

I was advised by one of my swedish friends that hammering in copper nails also kills trees/stumps?

Has anyone used this technique before?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:33 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougandfiona
I was advised by one of my swedish friends that hammering in copper nails also kills trees/stumps?

Has anyone used this technique before?
Its a very slow way to kill a tree, many large oaks have copper nails in them from the 20's, I've found them when felling them. If the tree is less than a metre in diameter at a meter high then simply strip back the outer bark, leaving the cambium layer and paint on a strong solution of roundup. It will kill the tree.... although if the three is close to your house you might not actually want the tree dead....
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

I believe, hammering in copper nails will kill a tree; albeit not a stump as the sap will have returned to the roots and will therefore not carry the copper, in solution, throughout the stump as it would the tree.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:05 pm
Straw Man.

I believe, hammering in copper nails will kill a tree; albeit not a stump as the sap will have returned to the roots and will therefore not carry the copper, in solution, throughout the stump as it would the tree.
No, it won't.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

OK. I bow to your greater knowledge.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:13 am
Just Joined

morlandg is an unknown quantity at this point

Try substituting the milk with old engine oil.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

I think I'd heard powdered milk as opposed to milk, though that was many moons ago and I know less than nothing about gardening really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.