Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

keeping dogs in spain

keeping dogs in spain

Old Apr 29th 2015, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Yandi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default keeping dogs in spain

Are there any hard and fast rules about keeping dogs in apartments in Spain. Ie restrictions on numbers, size sharing communal area? Would it be better to look at villas/ houses/finca if I want to bring my dogs with me. (I have three) one large and two medium- small. Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2015, 12:12 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: keeping dogs in spain

Originally Posted by Yandi
Are there any hard and fast rules about keeping dogs in apartments in Spain. Ie restrictions on numbers, size sharing communal area? Would it be better to look at villas/ houses/finca if I want to bring my dogs with me. (I have three) one large and two medium- small. Thanks
Most communities have their own individual rules and regulations relating to pets.
I am not aware of any overall national regulation, though I expect common sense and due consideration will apply regarding noise, disturbance and cleanliness etc.
I think under the circumstances you would be wise to consider a property on its own.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

It will also be prudent to research the various inocculations, tablets, collars needed here, a dog in Spain needs more protection from nasties than a dog in Leeds if it is to survive.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 12:54 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Surely having that many dogs in a piso or apartment just isn't going to work.

As a landlord we have a general policy of no pets unless first discussed with us.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

this is interesting.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs would have to be kept out of the communal areas in most urbanisations, but as has been siad you would need to read the regulations for where you live. Please, also read carefully the regulations on dangerous dogs, they are very different to the UK, and remember that, in Spain, there are a lot more nasties than in the UK.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Most communities have their own individual rules and regulations relating to pets.
I am not aware of any overall national regulation, though I expect common sense and due consideration will apply regarding noise, disturbance and cleanliness etc.
I think under the circumstances you would be wise to consider a property on its own.
Thanks for the interest, we would not be living there full time and the dogs are well behaved ( two. Of them are Badenjis that don't bark) but I guess three would be pushing my luck. Lol
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lyric050203
It will also be prudent to research the various inocculations, tablets, collars needed here, a dog in Spain needs more protection from nasties than a dog in Leeds if it is to survive.
Thanks, luckily I have many friends who show their dogs all over the world so I'm pretty clued up in that area
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Dogs would have to be kept out of the communal areas in most urbanisations, but as has been siad you would need to read the regulations for where you live. Please, also read carefully the regulations on dangerous dogs, they are very different to the UK, and remember that, in Spain, there are a lot more nasties than in the UK.
I would probably not choose anything in an urbanisation, luckily my breeds do not come under any DD regulations. they are such fun I carnt possibly leave them for anything longer than two weeks. Besides there are such lovely walks to go on in spain
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Surely having that many dogs in a piso or apartment just isn't going to work.

As a landlord we have a general policy of no pets unless first discussed with us.
They would be no trouble in an apartment, as I wouldn't live there all year round and we would be buying not renting. I would be mindful of neighbor and realise not everyone shares my enthusiasm for dogs
Old Apr 29th 2015, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Our puppy which is 8 months old has had a rabies jab, that cost 50€ several worming and flea treatments at 15€ a time and the biggie which she started today 30€ bloodtest and 120€ for 3, weekly injections against Lishmania. Next wednesday she goes in to be spayed another 160€. Having a dog and protecting it from nasties is not cheap here, but a damn sight more expensive in the UK!
Old Apr 29th 2015, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Our puppy which is 8 months old has had a rabies jab, that cost 50€ several worming and flea treatments at 15€ a time and the biggie which she started today 30€ bloodtest and 120€ for 3, weekly injections against Lishmania. Next wednesday she goes in to be spayed another 160€. Having a dog and protecting it from nasties is not cheap here, but a damn sight more expensive in the UK!
Lol don't I know it. Still I will never have a drink or drug problem as I carnt afford it
Old Apr 29th 2015, 7:23 pm
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya
well spain or rather different townhalls have rules, most say no more then 7 dogs to a property some say 5 and to be keeped quiet between midnight and 7 am. Find that very funny because thats the time the spanish hope there 4 legged alarm system work the best.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 7:53 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
That seems quite expensive compared to prices in this very rural area and to be fair having had a lifetimes experience of vets mostly in the UK but some elsewhere, I've found the Spanish vets I've dealt with to be very competent.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
That seems quite expensive compared to prices in this very rural area and to be fair having had a lifetimes experience of vets mostly in the UK but some elsewhere, I've found the Spanish vets I've dealt with to be very competent.
Our vets around here are amazed at the high cost of treatment in UK, we have found them to be cheaper than UK, including all the meds are now very recently departed Cocker spaniel needed. Maybe different area it changes but ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.