Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Just registered

Wikiposts

Just registered

Old Yesterday, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just registered

Very well put Barriej.......

Steve
Old Yesterday, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
They are building more than 20 new apartment blocks and hotels in Benidorm right now....maybe you would like to inform them that tourism is something they dont want or need before they waste all that money.
Apartments are for people - the hotels are for tourists. The people work in the hotels to keep the tourists happy.
the way it should be..
Old Yesterday, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

@BarrieJ, I didn't say tourism is bad per se, far from it, tourism is good but I'm suggesting that the current model is no longer working (note the problems with drunks in Mallorca for example) and Spain are right to address it. They are fed up with the high volume of holiday lets and also large groups of badly behaved drunks and who can blame them? You don't believe me? Google it.

Admittedly they have partially brought it upon themselves by attracting a certain type of tourist in certain areas but they seem pretty determined to change it and I wish them luck.
Old Yesterday, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I will add my 2c Didnt want too, but all you seem to do is bash Brits in your posts.

I also live near Benidorm and yes there some who 'guzzle' beer early in the morrning and why not, they are on holiday. Not what you would do (nor me) but its none of my business as long as its controlled.
But Benidorm is also a major tourist destination for thousands of Spanish, German, French and Scandinavians who sometimes dont behave wonderfully.
And Benidorm is considered a major city of culture. (mind you so was Hull)
The city gives the central government over 1,800 million in taxes every year, but it only receives around 18 million back in financing...

Here you go. So tourists are bad according to you.
This from a report by BBVA (some small time company I doubt you have heard off)

BBVA Research has analysed developments in the Valencian tourism sector for a number of years, and seen the important changes that it has undergone. The sector generates around EUR 16 billion per year (15% of regional GDP) and is responsible for 290,000 jobs (15% of total employment).
Here is the rest of it.
https://www.bbvaresearch.com/en/publ...yond-benidorm/

I do however also have to point out that the Spanish are not fed up with the British, but ALL NATIONALITIES who have arrived and purchased second homes and who only visit twice a year and rent out for the rest.
To be honest in this case I think Brits are in the minority as we, as a nation have one of the poorest retirement incomes and most of us would have had trouble funding one home let alone two. In fact a huge number of Spaniards have second homes but they remain empty.

Also now Im going to be a pendant. The reason the Brits flock to Benidorm is down the SPANISH mayor of the time deciding he wanted some of that lucrative tourist money that was pouring into the Costa's, which was also pioneered by a Spanish person.
Oh yep thats right, your precious Malaga and the costa's where hoards of drunken Brits and Germans in the early and mid 70's flocked.
We had never heard of Benidorm. If you went to Spain in the 70's you went to the Costa del Sol..

I even (sadly) remember going on 18-30 holidays in the early 80's to such places as Torre del Mar, Marbella and the Mushroom place (Fungusrolla as we called it
Torre del Mar? Are you sure about that, because I don't know where you would have stayed on an 18_30 holiday in the 80s. There are stiĺ only 2 hotels of any size there, the Mainake built in 2000 and the Andalucia Beach built in 2003. Other than those there are only small hostals and a lot of apartments most of which are owned by Spaniards and rented to tourists when they are not using them as their own holiday homes. I think you possibly meant Torremolinos.

Last edited by Rosemary; Yesterday at 10:06 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Yesterday, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts exactly, there were no package tours in TDM back then and I'm not aware of any now.

Last edited by Rosemary; Yesterday at 10:09 am. Reason: Quotes messed up so removed them
Old Yesterday, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Lou71,

"No problem in this area with good quality tourism"

Can I ask how many bars (perhaps you call them drinking establishments) are there in your town and what time they open for start of business?

Steve

Old Yesterday, 10:19 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Just means Spain actually needs them more than it does us who live here.

And finally Spain actually caused this problem and now it wants to end it.
I will bet you anything you like that nothing will happen long term. Yep the AirBNB thing will deflate, you wont be able to get a tourist licence for that flat you own but never visit.
"us who live here" also includes the Spanish themselves, so saying that "Spain actually caused this problem and now it wants to end it" is a simplistic way of talking about conflicting interests. Exactly the same problems exist in Cornwall, the Lake District, and Edinburgh and you wouldn't say the UK caused this problem.

AirBnB allowed landlords to place adverts for unlicenced apartments and not declare taxes. That has come to an end in Spain, but AirBnB is still part of the problem, they allow unlicensed tourist flats to be advertised and may not even collect tourist tax.

People who work in the area cannot afford any place to live as landlords buy up flats and convert them for tourist use. Property prices have gone through the roof and monthly rent for long term occupiers has risen to the same price as it would cost to rent a flat as a tourist. And yes, tourists also bring noise, vomit in the stairwells, etc... if you lived in a building where half the flats had been turned over to tourist use you'd be pissed off too.

If more hotels are built, tourist flat licences are not renewed so tourists go back to hotels, and AirBnB is forced to only take adverts from properly licensed tourist flats (of which hopefully there will be relatively few) then this will begin to address the problem.
Old Today, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back on topic:

If the MIL has ample resources of her own then it may prove difficult to claim that she is wholly dependent on you, and has been for at least the previous 12 months.
Simply that she lives with you does not automatically make her your dependent.

If she can meet the €28,800/pa financial requirement then she can apply for her own NLV

Family reunion visas only become possible after the sponsor had completed 5 years of residency.

https://www.immigrationspain.es/en/f...fication-visa/
Old Today, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Torre del Mar? Are you sure about that, because I don't know where you would have stayed on an 18_30 holiday in the 80s. There are stiĺ only 2 hotels of any size there, the Mainake built in 2000 and the Andalucia Beach built in 2003. Other than those there are only small hostals and a lot of apartments most of which are owned by Spaniards and rented to tourists when they are not using them as their own holiday homes. I think you possibly meant Torremolinos.
Maybe it was.
I know the family holidayed in Torre del Mar in 1974 and 1976 (during the Uk heatwave). As I still have the slides from the holiday and the 8mm film somewhere (Im not joking)....
When you are 18 and go on holiday with a rowdy bunch, the location never seems to be important.
Dont think it was an 'official' club 18-30 anyway as it was all organised by someone we knew who worked at Beechams in Brentford...

But anyway. Memories eh...
Old Today, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it was.
I know the family holidayed in Torre del Mar in 1974 and 1976 (during the Uk heatwave). As I still have the slides from the holiday and the 8mm film somewhere (Im not joking)....
When you are 18 and go on holiday with a rowdy bunch, the location never seems to be important.
Dont think it was an 'official' club 18-30 anyway as it was all organised by someone we knew who worked at Beechams in Brentford...

But anyway. Memories eh...

I think he/she meant Tossa de Mar, right next door to LLoret de Mar - very popular places in the 70's and 80's with the brits.