Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Just a quickie!

Just a quickie!

Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Just a quickie!

This question is for all the people who have moved to Spain. Where do you take your annual holiday, do you come to the uk or do go somewhere different. xx
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:47 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just a quickie!

We live near the coast in Alicante province and took our holiday last year in inland Andalucia, and loved it. It was only a five-hour drive away, but to another country.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:58 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
We live near the coast in Alicante province and took our holiday last year in inland Andalucia, and loved it. It was only a five-hour drive away, but to another country.
I did likewise one year,really enjoyed it,a fascinating area.
At present cooling off in boring Sweden.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I ceased taking "annual holidays" when I moved to Spain, so that's 7 years now without the typical British style fortnight abroad.

Instead I do lots of weekend breaks - up to about 6 a year. Skiing in Sierra Nevada, Madrid, Barcelona, Girona, Zaragoza, Denmark, Germany, Paris. Anywhere really. Next stop will be a few days in Morrocco, but I'll wait for the temperatures to cool down first.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
I ceased taking "annual holidays" when I moved to Spain, so that's 7 years now without the typical British style fortnight abroad.

Instead I do lots of weekend breaks - up to about 6 a year. Skiing in Sierra Nevada, Madrid, Barcelona, Girona, Zaragoza, Denmark, Germany, Paris. Anywhere really. Next stop will be a few days in Morrocco, but I'll wait for the temperatures to cool down first.

We don't do the fortnight thing either, but oh likes to have 7yr old to the UK for boy type cricket/airshow kind of stuff while I take the (even more) sun with dd who lives in UK.

nb would be interested to hear once you've done Morocco, am still hankering after taking the 4x4 over....
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

I took would be interested once you have been to Morroco. Off to Majorca next week for 7days. Used to have an apt there in Puerto Andrax so now renting a villa and meeting up with old friends.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

W3e havent been on holiday since we got here, just breaks around Spain. Am going to America later thyis year though
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Good idea to take lots of little breaks around Spain x
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:32 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

When I lived in the UK, my annual holiday was always a different part of the UK.
Now in Spain for the last six years, I do "city breaks" to different parts of Spain & Portugal. In the past year, Albuferia(portugal), Ayamonte (Spain), Monte Gordo (portugal), Doñana National Park, Extramadura, Lisbon, Galicia (La Coruña area), Seviille, Cordoba, Granada, Marbella.
I still visit the UK to see Grandkids etc once or twice a year.

Davexf
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I just came back from a short break in Teruel & Albarracín, Aragon and Ive got to say its one of the most beautiful parts of Spain I have come accross. Howevere I seem to be saying that every time I go away somewhere in Spain
Old Aug 1st 2009, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Wouldn't say that going back to the UK visiting relatives is a holiday!! And they don't give us much of a chance now anyway as they like to come and see us. We take short breaks anywhere within Portugal/Spain, somewhere new every time. A few hours drive and it seems you are in another country and there so much that we want to see.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 12:10 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Let me turn this question on its head for a moment, seeing as almost everyone has answered identically.

When you were in the UK, were your holidays generally taken visiting other parts of the UK? If the answer is yes, then it totally makes sense of continuing that tradition in your new country of residence (ie visiting other parts of Spain). If the answer is no, as you would always go abroad, then I find it interesting that just because you have moved to a different country, that you change that part of your life.

I visit many different parts of Spain and Portugal but I don't necessarily consider it a holiday. More a visit or a break. Just because I live in Spain now, it doesn't make Greece or Italy or Turkey or France etc any less attractive to me as a holiday destination, and these have been the places me and Mrs F have gone on holiday to in recent years.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

By the year 2001, we were happily settled in Spain, the children were off-hand, we had some money in the bank and we had a list of places we wanted to visit, at our leisure, travelling eastwards around the world from here. The planning had taken years, pleasurable times dreaming of the big adventure, starting with the Middle East, where it all started.

On the afternoon of 9/11, I was sipping coffee in a tiny Spanish bar, when the news showed the first plane hitting the twin towers. I hurried home and spent the rest of the day watching the horrific events.

We discussed it the next morning and decided that our travelling plans were doomed. And so it proved. We've managed Australia and the US since, but it was painful, especially Philadelphia airport on our entry to the US, and Sydney wasn't much better.

But Spain is a big country, and there are many places we have yet to see, and a few places in the UK that we missed when we lived there. And Dublin, I went there to watch the rugby once and didn't see any of it, apart from the rugby.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:17 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Let me turn this question on its head for a moment, seeing as almost everyone has answered identically.

When you were in the UK, were your holidays generally taken visiting other parts of the UK? If the answer is yes, then it totally makes sense of continuing that tradition in your new country of residence (ie visiting other parts of Spain). If the answer is no, as you would always go abroad, then I find it interesting that just because you have moved to a different country, that you change that part of your life.

I visit many different parts of Spain and Portugal but I don't necessarily consider it a holiday. More a visit or a break. Just because I live in Spain now, it doesn't make Greece or Italy or Turkey or France etc any less attractive to me as a holiday destination, and these have been the places me and Mrs F have gone on holiday to in recent years.
I used to go on holiday abroad every year after my daughter was about 6. We used to make short breaks maybe in the UK, but abroad was holidays (never came to Spain, well once in 1970 something).
Now as I said I havent been on holiday since we came here, this year "abroad" will be the first time.
Good weather was an important part of a holiday, we couldnt rely on the UK at all. Now in Spain we have the weather. We dont work anymore, so holidays are a bit of a different concept nowadays
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

I usually go up Galicia, where it is usually cooler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.