Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Just Moving to Madrid, Spain - What to do?

Just Moving to Madrid, Spain - What to do?

Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

hspw123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just Moving to Madrid, Spain - What to do?

Hi community members,

I recently took the decision that I want to consider moving to Madrid as I run a digital service, marketing agency and am self-employed (I can work anywhere in the world). For context, the company is UK based and I pay myself in dividends and salary etc.

I am not 100% sure I will move to Spain to become a permament tax-resident but am currently finding an apartment. I arrived two days ago to Madrid (mid-February) I was planning on exploring as a tourist (on short-term lease apartment/Airbnb) and then deciding whether to move here after 3 months. It would be a big hassle to declare residency and change my taxation structure before I've decided.

However, now I am concerned that I need to do something now to declare that I'm here, as people could be suddenly told to leave after BREXIT?

Thank you,

H

Last edited by hspw123; Feb 14th 2019 at 2:24 pm. Reason: Updated
Old Feb 14th 2019, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Moving to Madrid, Spain - What to do?

Originally Posted by hspw123
Hi community members,

I recently took the decision that I want to consider moving to Madrid as I run a digital service, marketing agency and am self-employed (I can work anywhere in the world). For context, the company is UK based and I pay myself in dividends and salary etc.

I am not 100% sure I will move to Spain to become a permament tax-resident but am currently finding an apartment. I arrived two days ago to Madrid (mid-February) I was planning on exploring as a tourist (on short-term lease apartment/Airbnb) and then deciding whether to move here after 3 months. It would be a big hassle to declare residency and change my taxation structure before I've decided.

However, now I am concerned that I need to do something now to declare that I'm here, as people could be suddenly told to leave after BREXIT?

Thank you,

H
Relax a bit, you have 90 days as a tourist so in theory can only register as a resident after March 29th. No one will suddenly be told to leave, try and imagine the planning the local government would need to do in organise such a process..
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks - where does March 29th come from? Thanks for your support on that and response - much appreciated.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - where does March 29th come from? Thanks for your support on that and response - much appreciated.
Brexit date at the moment..
Old Feb 24th 2019, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

People wont be told to leave, but we all might need a visa to be here...
Old Mar 11th 2019, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Does anyone have a lawyer they recommend in Madrid area to do this for me? I have just moved here (and haven't yet been here 30-days). I would like to register as a resident but via the correct process to get it correct first time around.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone have a lawyer they recommend in Madrid area to do this for me? I have just moved here (and haven't yet been here 30-days). I would like to register as a resident but via the correct process to get it correct first time around.
What you really need is a "Gestor" they tend to do all the public administration jobs.. Do not know one in Madrid but a check in a local directory should show several.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Well I would get going fast. You need to get medical insurance and sign on padron. You will then sounds like need to do the paperwork to autonomo etc. Quite a lot to start . Then you need to make an appointment which might mean waiting a week at least. Given that next week is a Puente I would just find any Spanish speaking lawyer or accountancy firm to start immediately. Remember if the government decide to leave without a deal the 29th of March that could be your last date. Might not happen but better safe than sorry