Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

just moved to Spain, Advice and help please

just moved to Spain, Advice and help please

Old Aug 8th 2016, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Curlygirly is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile just moved to Spain, Advice and help please

Hi everyone, well we finally made it. We bought our house in the Oria district of Andalucía and moved out 12 days ago.
Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
1/ Having sold both our cars in the UK before flying out we are keen to buy a car fairly soon. Any advise on buying a second hand car from a dealer? We need it to be reliable, good for rough terrain etc?

2/ What do we need to get a local doctor or join the Spanish medical system? We have a padron, NEI numbers, the deeds to the house and passports is that all we need or do we need to contact the DWP in UK to inform them we have left the UK etc? Do they(DWP) need to send us anything?

3/ Can anyone tell me where we can buy solar lights from (the string kind to hang in trees) at a reasonable price please?

Thank you for your help in advance...
Old Aug 8th 2016, 6:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just moved to Spain, Advice and help please

I don't think that you have given much information in your previous posts about your situation (or maybe I missed it).

Are you retired or planning to get a job?

If neither of those apply you will not be entitled to any health care at all. You would need to have private insurance to be able to use a doctor (or pay cash).

If you stay for more than 90 days you are obliged to sign onto the list of foreigners and to do that you will be asked to provide proof of medical cover and sufficient income. Have you done that yet?

You mentioned that you had signed onto the Padron, but that is an entirely different process and does not entitle you to any benefits such as health care.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would you need a advice re' buying a car from a dealer and the type? Spain is not on another planet! Would you ask such advice for a vehicle type if you were in the UK? Do some research as to what type of vehicle you need and can afford then look up local dealers for their stock.
You need it to be reliable? What does that mean? Don't most people? Again, do some research. Would you ask people in the UK to recommend a suitable vehicle? You'd probably get 100 replies and opinions.
And the added solar lights question is bizarre!
Old Aug 8th 2016, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Leroy Merlin in Murcia for the lights once you have bought your car
Old Aug 9th 2016, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Curlygirly
Hi everyone, well we finally made it. We bought our house in the Oria district of Andalucía and moved out 12 days ago.
Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
1/ Having sold both our cars in the UK before flying out we are keen to buy a car fairly soon. Any advise on buying a second hand car from a dealer? We need it to be reliable, good for rough terrain etc?

2/ What do we need to get a local doctor or join the Spanish medical system? We have a padron, NEI numbers, the deeds to the house and passports is that all we need or do we need to contact the DWP in UK to inform them we have left the UK etc? Do they(DWP) need to send us anything?

3/ Can anyone tell me where we can buy solar lights from (the string kind to hang in trees) at a reasonable price please?

Thank you for your help in advance...
You should have informed DWP and HMRC. Before you moved
Don't know if you have children, but I think you don't get family benefit from UK
You need to fulfil all the requirements to be resident in Spain,( known as signing on the foreigners register at the Police station) use the search facility for these.
You will have to prove you have the required finance eg 6000 k in bank or 600 euros per person income monthly in the Spanish bank
Some regions require both
You will have to prove you have Spanish health cover. You will pay full price for prescriptions
After a year you may be able to pay into the Spanish NHS at 60 euros per person per month, plus price of prescriptions
When you receive a state pension healthcare is free, but you pay towards prescriptions
Don't forget to register on the Spanish tax system so you can pay spanish tax on your worldwide income , ( except government pensions-search for info on that) savings and investments
Research the assets declaration, in case you have to present a modelo 720 listing all your assets( best to go to Blevins Franks website for info)
Sounds a bit like you should have done more homework before you moved to Spain!

Last edited by Neptuno; Aug 9th 2016 at 11:59 am.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

It's gone strangely quiet!
Old Aug 9th 2016, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

re. solar lights - Loafing Along mentioned Leroy Merlin in Murcia. As Orial is to the east of Baza thought I would mention that there is a new Leroy Merlin opened recently in Granada which may be closer than Murcia for you. Having said that there is also an IKEA near the L.M. store in Murcia but not one in Granada as yet.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cats-R-Us
re. solar lights - Loafing Along mentioned Leroy Merlin in Murcia. As Orial is to the east of Baza thought I would mention that there is a new Leroy Merlin opened recently in Granada which may be closer than Murcia for you. Having said that there is also an IKEA near the L.M. store in Murcia but not one in Granada as yet.
I should think solar lights are the least of the OPs problems!
Old Aug 9th 2016, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Neptuno is wrong. He says you need 6000k in the bank but that is 6 million! I think he means 6000€.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marcbernard
Neptuno is wrong. He says you need 6000k in the bank but that is 6 million! I think he means 6000€.
I stand Corrected!
Old Aug 9th 2016, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Curlygirly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Fred and others for your helpful comments.
We are semi (early retirees) but will need to earn so have bought a place with several other houses to restore and turn into holiday lets, this will eventually become our income and help boost our pensions when we get them. We are looking at medical cover (we have sufficient savings) any recommendations?

The lights may seem a bazar question but as we couldn't find any in our two nearest towns I just thought id ask. Thank you to those who took the time to answer.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

brie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marcbernard
I have researched everywhere but could not find any number. Is this 6000 EUR coming from personal experience?
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Neptuno
I stand Corrected!
I have asked already the 6000 EUR, but also would like to know where that 600/month is written? Because it would be useful to know an exact number, but I have never found it anywhere...
Old Aug 10th 2016, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Brie
I have been in Spain since well before there were any requirements, so the figure is not based on personal experience. However the actual current requirements seem to be based on the view of the official dealing with your application, and several posts on this and other forums have mentioned the €6000 figure. However if you have read the various advice from the likes of UGOV you will be aware that physical cash is not necessary; for example a credit card with sufficient credit level will be taken into account.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply. This 6000 does not sound very strict - I was guessing much higher requirement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.