Is it just me?

Old Mar 8th 2007, 5:45 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it just me?

Right, I have noticed that there is a bit of, shall we say snobbery for the want of another word, about those in Spain, and those not yet there, or even those planning to go.
It isnt apparent at first but as people post more there is a swing towards people looking a bit down their nose at others.
I have lived abroad more years than I have lived in the UK, I dont consider myself British for this reason, and I have to say that when I lived in Spain I found there were lots of people who behaved like you were invading their space and you had virtually nothing to offer.
As a question, have any of you lot experienced the "Been there seen it, bought the T-shirt attitude", or is it just me?
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Right, I have noticed that there is a bit of, shall we say snobbery for the want of another word, about those in Spain, and those not yet there, or even those planning to go.
It isnt apparent at first but as people post more there is a swing towards people looking a bit down their nose at others.
I have lived abroad more years than I have lived in the UK, I dont consider myself British for this reason, and I have to say that when I lived in Spain I found there were lots of people who behaved like you were invading their space and you had virtually nothing to offer.
As a question, have any of you lot experienced the "Been there seen it, bought the T-shirt attitude", or is it just me?
Perhaps its not snobbery Matt, just proud they have already done it and are in the position to give advice of their experiences to the people thinking of moving over.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Perhaps its not snobbery Matt, just proud they have already done it and are in the position to give advice of their experiences to the people thinking of moving over.
And that much I can fully understand, but there can be, and I really am generalising here, but there can be a bit of an arrogant attitude about the whole thing.

I'm not having a pop at anyone or suggesting that people are anything, but its something that I have noticed as a bit of a trend and I experienced a lot of it out there.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

And that much I can fully understand, but there can be, and I really am generalising here, but there can be a bit of an arrogant attitude about the whole thing.

I'm not having a pop at anyone or suggesting that people are anything, but its something that I have noticed as a bit of a trend and I experienced a lot of it out there.
You may get a few people who dont divulge as much as they could cos they dont want their little bit of Spain overrun with Brits, but then that happens the world over.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:23 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jdr
You may get a few people who dont divulge as much as they could cos they dont want their little bit of Spain overrun with Brits, but then that happens the world over.
I can understand that.

Funny because one of the people who live in a very un british place in Spain, I have also found to be one of the most helpful people on here, but I do see where your coming from.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:57 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I cant say ive noticed any people talking down their noses on this forum. However when i was in spain the general attitude of the ex pats was "yeah we're here now!" and i was somehow inferior because i was just visiting. On the plane on the way home we was talking to this girl, an ex pat who was visiting england again, and then towards the end of the flight she got talking to someone across the isle.. a guy who was also an ex pat... and she never said another word to us again.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:59 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair there are Brits and Brits. When we decided to move to Spain we were very cautious because we had heard that in some areas Brits were not well thought of. We purposely chose an ordinary townhouse in a little working town. In our little town we are known as The English Couple and we quite like that (sad or what) they do not come anymore inoffensive than we are so therefore any ill conceived ideas that the locals had about the Brits have been knocked on the head.

Is this snobbery? I certain hope not because I have never been a snob in my life.
Rosemary
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
I cant say ive noticed any people talking down their noses on this forum. However when i was in spain the general attitude of the ex pats was "yeah we're here now!" and i was somehow inferior because i was just visiting. On the plane on the way home we was talking to this girl, an ex pat who was visiting england again, and then towards the end of the flight she got talking to someone across the isle.. a guy who was also an ex pat... and she never said another word to us again.
Perhaps she fancied him more ;-)
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:45 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Lol Matt.....I have to say that I am occasionally guilty of the above. Not because of snobbery...god forbid. Just that I deplore ghettos of any kind, and when I hear English voices in my local venta, I think..hell we are being overrun. I listen to their conversation carefully to make sure they are the sort of people I want to converse with... I am sure there is a school of people who like the keeping up with the Joneses element, and want to have what others do not, but not me. I just want the place to stay Spanish and unspoiled and to feel I am in Spain when I sit in my Venta and not in some cafe in Brighton or Margate or whatever.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:00 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Lol Matt.....I have to say that I am occasionally guilty of the above. Not because of snobbery...god forbid. Just that I deplore ghettos of any kind, and when I hear English voices in my local venta, I think..hell we are being overrun. I listen to their conversation carefully to make sure they are the sort of people I want to converse with... I am sure there is a school of people who like the keeping up with the Joneses element, and want to have what others do not, but not me. I just want the place to stay Spanish and unspoiled and to feel I am in Spain when I sit in my Venta and not in some cafe in Brighton or Margate or whatever.

Unless your blind nobody on earth could confuse the places . Margate is like the aftermath of world war 2 and Brighton well been a while since i was there but doesnt grab me in any form ..
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:04 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't noticed any snobbery on this forum it is all very interesting. I have noticed when I am in Spain though that if ever we ask, for instance, someone working in a bar, what it is like in living in Spain then I get the impression there is a bit of a closed shop, if you can understand what I mean
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

I haven't noticed it on here either, but I have when in Spain talking to people, even friends I find don't offer info, hence the reason I'm on here
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:32 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Yep i have noticed a little bit of that with a few posters , rugbymat . But there again is that the british thing coming through maybe ?
Keeping up with the Jones and hate to see others better off sort of thing .
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:36 pm
Straw Man.

I am starting to realise that the word snobbery was a poor choice.

Interesting thoughts, I left the Urbanisation where my family lived within weeks and ended up living in a purely Spanish area, where I pretty much stayed until I left, but on the rare occasions we had to deal with any Brits some absolutely horrified me.
I'm not just talking about the usual paralytic, gangster wannabe, larger lout Brits, but also the way they treated new comers, the way SOME of them went out of their way to close up shop with anyone new and really make things difficult.
They were generally the ones who also complained that the Spanish were not as efficient, hard working, or whatever else as the British!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:49 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Touche to BigPete about Margate and Brighton. Just the first two seaside resorts that came to mind. Re Margate, well a friend of mine is a housing officer and covers Margate and Thanet and she assures me that they ARE a different world.
Matt I think for some it is a case of wanting to encourage fewer Brits to move to their part of Spain.
One of our posters wrote some while ago that she hoped that the new houses being buit behind her were sold to Spanish as she hadn't moved there to live in an expat community. Imagine if you moved to, say, an island in the Seychelles and then found large numbers of people from your hometown buying the houses around you ?? Some would welcome it, and others not.
We have a British and and a Spanish neighbour, and all the others are Spanish in our cul de sac. If the houses changed hands and more Brits moved in, I wouldn't be unfriendly and would possibly enjoy their company, but if I had the choice I would rather they were Spanish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.