Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

jumilla/yelca area

jumilla/yelca area

Old May 4th 2010, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: jumilla/yelca area

Hi Relampago: Sorry I didn't mean to cause any offence - as a Briton I can't tell the difference between any Spanish accents. I might guess that someone is from Andalucia but, then again, they could be from the Canaries or from Rumania! As far as Murcianos go unless they were to say acho and platico in the same sentence I wouldn't have a clue. Nonetheless, I have been told by Spanish people, who are not Murcianos, that the accent here is a strong one and that was all I meant.

As to the snow though I do know about that. It's a sort of white powder and I can recognise it. I would absolutely stand by what I said in my original post.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
Hi Relampago: Sorry I didn't mean to cause any offence - as a Briton I can't tell the difference between any Spanish accents. I might guess that someone is from Andalucia but, then again, they could be from the Canaries or from Rumania! As far as Murcianos go unless they were to say acho and platico in the same sentence I wouldn't have a clue. Nonetheless, I have been told by Spanish people, who are not Murcianos, that the accent here is a strong one and that was all I meant.

As to the snow though I do know about that. It's a sort of white powder and I can recognise it. I would absolutely stand by what I said in my original post.
No problem, mate. The stupidities and hoaxes are for to correct, right?

The truth to confuse spanish with romanian is to be a useless (and more when living in Spain) because the difference between the two languages is more than obvious
Old May 6th 2010, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

coletteandmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
We have a house in Pinoso which is about 30kms from both Jumilla and Yecla and we live in Cartagena which is also in Murcia.

To be honest both towns are pretty tedious. They're OK, nothing wrong with them but nothing much of note. No noteworthy buildings to speak of - there are a couple but they are lost amidst the streets of concrete boxes. The fiestas are pretty good and Jumilla has quite a busy artistic life one way and another including a pretty good flamenco competition (Murcia has a strong flamenco tradition.) To be honest it's the same answer as it would be for what's Brighouse or Cramlington or Borstal like - the places are what you make of them and both Yecla and Jumilla are perfectly nice. Inland Murcia by the way has a big Ecuadorian population and Jumilla benefits from a couple of bars that serve Ecuadorian food and beer to give you a break from the traditional inland fare of rice with rabbit and snails or gazpacho (rabbit and "pastry" rather than liquidised soup)

The Murciano accent is a bit of a joke all over Spain but at least they only speak Castellano which is an improvement over the Valenciano spoken in Alicante next door which sometimes make information even less available than usual (cultural programmes etc only presented in Valenciano which rather excludes we immigrants.)

The next couple of paragraphs are a bit contentious. Just a view. You will get others.

Don't know much about the schools not having children but there are often debates on the expat forums about schools with views ranging from rubbish to excellent. My wife works in a state school and she has worked in others. As a composite view I would say that Spanish education is quite old fashioned with a lot of emphasis on learning facts rather than understanding principles. Unlike in the UK where the curriculum is wide ranging and the discipline quite hard here the discipline is quite lax but the curriculum is strict. There are lots of stories of older Brit youngsters "retiring" from school because they don't understand enough of what's going on to stay interested.

Young children pick up Spanish easily but older children struggle nearly as much as their parents. My Spanish is rubbish but it's an awful lot better than most 30/40/50 year old Brits I know. I find it very isolating when trying to participate in community meetings etc. and speaking Castillian Spanish or rather my lack of it is probably my only real concern about living in Spain. I try to read the newspapers, watch the telly and keep up with the place I live. It's hard work and most Brits don't bother so they know more about what's happening in the UK than they do about here which, again, is quite isolating. Think of those Pakistani or Vietnamese or Polish areas of the town near you in the UK with their own shops and services and you have the life of most expats here.

Winters aren't exactly cold but they are extremely unpleasant because carpetless, curtainless, non insulated, marble floored, tiled walled houses are built to keep cool not to keep warm. On a typical winters day expect it to be pleasant out, wearing a jacket, but numbingly cold in the house. It does snow from time to time but we are not talking Burgos or Galicia type weather. Snow in the streets always makes for photos in the local papers.

Airport wise it's OK, I'd be amazed if you can make Alicante in 50 minutes but both Alicante and San Javier, Murcia are within striking distance. There has been talk for years of building a new airport near Murcia. Murcia, by the way, is a reasonably interesting city, now the 7th largest in Spain apparently and it's easy to get to from both Jumilla and Yecla.

Wildlife is odd. Spaniards go out and shoot things all the time and there are often little pieces in the local newspapers about a wild pig being involved in a car accident but I saw more rabbits on one roundabout in Huntingdon at dusk than I've seen in five years here. Even in Salamanca, where I lived for a while, where the air is full of falcons and buzzards I never saw a fox or a rabbit or an owl except as roadkill.

No idea about golf courses. There's a forum called spainserve.com that's based in Yecla so why not ask there, you may also get better information about schools.

Unemployment in Spain now stands at 20%. Finding work is hard. If you aren't a fluent Spanish speaker then the chances are pretty low that you'll find anything. Even if you do have Spanish lots of jobs need a specific qualification that you won't have. Setting up a business is the way most Brits go round here (obviously people have jobs too but in a sort of generalised answering a post sort of way the self employed bit is true) but that too is quite difficult because there is a minimum social security payment of around 260€ per month whether you earn anything from your business or not. If you were to go to an area where there are far fewer Brits - almost anywhere except Alicante, Murcia, Malaga and the Islands - the fact that you speak English can make you saleable as an English teacher for private classes if for nothing else. Over in Salamanca my wife and I were the only Brits in the town of Ciudad Rodrigo and the local language school were keen to employ me whereas here in Cartagena there are lots of better qualified native speakers than me so I can't find anything.

Just on house hunting. The Spanish property market is plagued by fraudsters. Other people will disagree but I would tend to trust the Estate Agents who have an API sign outside their business premises. It's a sort of professional organisation that "suggests" a level of professionalism.

I can't be bothered to read back over the essay above so please forgive the typos.
thanks for taking the time to reply to all my points.
i am extremly worried about the job situation as we only have enough savings to see us through 6 months without jobs and my inlaws are constantley telling me this is a bad time to try and make it in spain we are bound to fail!! this is a big enough step without the doubts people keep drumming into our heads.
do you know of any local places we can look for jobs before we come out to spain newspapers,recrutment agencies etc
i was so possitive about wanting a different way of life but at this moment in time i feel deflatley
anyhelp from anyone will be grately apprieciated
Old May 6th 2010, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coletteandmike
thanks for taking the time to reply to all my points.
i am extremly worried about the job situation as we only have enough savings to see us through 6 months without jobs and my inlaws are constantley telling me this is a bad time to try and make it in spain we are bound to fail!! this is a big enough step without the doubts people keep drumming into our heads.
do you know of any local places we can look for jobs before we come out to spain newspapers,recrutment agencies etc
i was so possitive about wanting a different way of life but at this moment in time i feel deflatley
anyhelp from anyone will be grately apprieciated
The old question is are you fluent in Spanish? If yes, then look at the Spanish local newspapers and job sites, just use google.es. If you're lucky you may get a job within 1-2 years (yes it is that bad), IF you have the right experience and you are in an area where there are the possibility of jobs.

If you don't, then look in the local English newspaper for jobs. There will be no recruitment agencies in that part of Spain. The only ones I know for English speakers are in Marbella and they're dodgy anyway.

Your best bet is finding casual work by asking around the expat bars. Or set up on your own, at least then destiny is partly in your own hands, but make sure you know your market!
Old May 7th 2010, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point

This is one of the bigger ones
Old May 8th 2010, 8:18 am
Just Joined

thanks everyone who has been so kind and so honest.
we are flying out next week to view some houses so will see how we go
Old May 8th 2010, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

i am extremly worried about the job situation as we only have enough savings to see us through 6 months without jobs and my inlaws are constantley telling me this is a bad time to try and make it in spain we are bound to fail!!
As unpalatable as it is, they could well be right, you've picked the worse possible time.

this is a big enough step without the doubts people keep drumming into our heads.
I'm sure they have your best interest at heart, and are simply trying to save you from failing. People often ask on these forums for advice, and more often than not, don't like what they hear and choose to ignore it anyway. People can only do their best and tell it as they see it, if you still go ahead and try it, then that's up to you. You might make a go of it, but as has been pointed out, many fail. A bit like your in laws really, if I was advising kids of mine I'd be giving them same info as they are giving you! Without a guaranteed job and lots of money, don't even think about it. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be going for it.
[/QUOTE]
Old May 9th 2010, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by agoreira
As unpalatable as it is, they could well be right, you've picked the worse possible time.

I'm sure they have your best interest at heart, and are simply trying to save you from failing. People often ask on these forums for advice, and more often than not, don't like what they hear and choose to ignore it anyway. People can only do their best and tell it as they see it, if you still go ahead and try it, then that's up to you. You might make a go of it, but as has been pointed out, many fail. A bit like your in laws really, if I was advising kids of mine I'd be giving them same info as they are giving you! Without a guaranteed job and lots of money, don't even think about it. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be going for it.
[/QUOTE]

i know its a bad time but when is a good time?
this is the year my daughter would start secondary school so the big change is happening if i dont do it now i cant do it for another 5 years till she has finished her education but all the bells in the head are ringing saying dont try now. maybe our new life will have to wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 9th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

this is the year my daughter would start secondary school so the big change is happening if i dont do it now i cant do it for another 5 years till she has finished her education but all the bells in the head are ringing saying dont try now. maybe our new life will have to wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

As awful as it sounds I think you are best off waiting but I dont know for how long.

You just cant leave your daughter when she leaves school and it probably wouldnt be fair to take her to Spain at that time either.I dont think she would thank you for it.

Ive been in this situation also and had to wait 10 years for this and other reasons before we came.

Frustration is not the word for it.

Now I am living the life I have always craved but sadly without her as she is still in Plymouth.Shes 21 soon and she went to school in Valencia the 2nd time I lived here when she was 9 so she is not a stranger to Spain..

She loves Spain but knows its not right for her to live here - whether she ever will I dont know.

Thats the bottom line really.

And of course the income issue - you just have to have a continuous income stream to last.

Dont give up the dream though because they do come true, it just depends how long you are willing to wait and how much you want it to work.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:04 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to add to painermujers post about schooling.

Having been kid that was "plonked" in a foreign school at 7 I can tell you little bout what it was like.

For me it was not too bad, as I was not in the "big School" so a lot more allowances are made for everything.

As I was 7 my mistakes and lack of understanding of the language were still seen "borderline cute", one or 2 years older and there is a lot less tolerance about, after all you are being prepared for secondary school.

Also it was a lot easier for a foreign child in the UK to learn English, than for an English child to learn Spanish in Spain (although it can vary depending on where you choose to live).

I was surrounded by English, no Spanish TV and no Spanish neigbours. I did get to know a lot of Spanish and Italian families, and the younger children ( or less, from what I can remember had not trouble adapting.

The teenagers really suffered, and teenage kids only want to be cool and, helping out is not seen as cool.

Another thing to remember is that we were taken to a country with more of a future for us, Spain in my opinion offers less of a future for the young adults and school leavers.

If you think that the future for the young is bad in the UK, Spain is worse.
Old May 10th 2010, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JLFS
I just wanted to add to painermujers post about schooling.

Having been kid that was "plonked" in a foreign school at 7 I can tell you little bout what it was like.

For me it was not too bad, as I was not in the "big School" so a lot more allowances are made for everything.

As I was 7 my mistakes and lack of understanding of the language were still seen "borderline cute", one or 2 years older and there is a lot less tolerance about, after all you are being prepared for secondary school.

Also it was a lot easier for a foreign child in the UK to learn English, than for an English child to learn Spanish in Spain (although it can vary depending on where you choose to live).

I was surrounded by English, no Spanish TV and no Spanish neigbours. I did get to know a lot of Spanish and Italian families, and the younger children ( or less, from what I can remember had not trouble adapting.

The teenagers really suffered, and teenage kids only want to be cool and, helping out is not seen as cool.

Another thing to remember is that we were taken to a country with more of a future for us, Spain in my opinion offers less of a future for the young adults and school leavers.

If you think that the future for the young is bad in the UK, Spain is worse.
gosh what a bummer all that sounds
im wondering why anyone with kids would move to or stay in spain at all?
i also have a 21 year old daughter who was the tennager from hell (although she is doing very well now)i thought a move to spain might spare me another horrid teenage hell!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 10th 2010, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paintermujer
this is the year my daughter would start secondary school so the big change is happening if i dont do it now i cant do it for another 5 years till she has finished her education but all the bells in the head are ringing saying dont try now. maybe our new life will have to wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As awful as it sounds I think you are best off waiting but I dont know for how long.

You just cant leave your daughter when she leaves school and it probably wouldnt be fair to take her to Spain at that time either.I dont think she would thank you for it.

Ive been in this situation also and had to wait 10 years for this and other reasons before we came.

Frustration is not the word for it.

Now I am living the life I have always craved but sadly without her as she is still in Plymouth.Shes 21 soon and she went to school in Valencia the 2nd time I lived here when she was 9 so she is not a stranger to Spain..

She loves Spain but knows its not right for her to live here - whether she ever will I dont know.

Thats the bottom line really.

And of course the income issue - you just have to have a continuous income stream to last.

Dont give up the dream though because they do come true, it just depends how long you are willing to wait and how much you want it to work.[/QUOTE]

frustration is not the word for it. i feel deflated.
im still coming out on tuesday to view some properties as planned but i feel like im just winding myself up as with no jobs to go to and the school situation how can i make the family suffer so i can live my dream
Old May 10th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

gosh what a bummer all that sounds
im wondering why anyone with kids would move to or stay in spain at all?
i also have a 21 year old daughter who was the tennager from hell (although she is doing very well now)i thought a move to spain might spare me another horrid teenage hell!!!!!!!!!!!
Spain is great for kids but they have to still be young when you come.

My youngest was 8 and I dont think you can really go older than that to join a spanish school. She loves it here but it didnt come without difficulties with her - different school meals is the worst hell for her being a picky eater, not being able to communicate has been very frustrating also for her.

Of course there are the int schools but they are so expensive you need a good income.

Teenagers do seem better behaved in Spain and have more respect so I hope that rubs off also cos if we had stayed in Plymouth in a few years we may also have had a teenager from hell.She has attitude whereas her older sister is very placid.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by paintermujer; May 10th 2010 at 1:36 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Suemac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Colette and Mike

I don't know whether you have made a decision yet, as it is obviously several months since you posted on here! I live in Jumilla, so please fire away if you have any more questions about the area. So far as we are aware, there are just 4 Brits living in the town: ourselves (John and I have retired here) and our friend Jaqui, who teaches English in one of the acadamies, plus her 11 year old daughter. We know quite a few other Brits, mainly retired, who live in the countryside.

I think it depends on where you are living and what lifestyle you want. I would strongly advise renting first and if possible not burning your bridges in the UK, until you are sure that you have made the right decision. There is very little work here, as other people have said. There have been a couple of adverts for English-speaking jobs in the bodegas, but not recently.

Sorry that I didn't see your post earlier - I found this forum by chance when doing a google search!

Sue