jobs in spain

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 10:48 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 40
jonesa80 has a spectacular aura aboutjonesa80 has a spectacular aura aboutjonesa80 has a spectacular aura about
Default jobs in spain

Can anyone help me please,

I'm English looking to move to Spain - can anyone tell me what jobs are available for people who dont speak Spanish. And also wheres the best place to start looking.

thank you

Andy
jonesa80 is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:50 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
pwwm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Albuñol. Granada
Posts: 1,532
pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: jobs in spain

Hi Andy

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wong, Where I live you would only get work in the greenhouses at very low pay. (Albunol) Probably the best place's to look would be the costa's as there are many expat bars etc, not too sure what else there is for a non Spanish speaker, remember that a lot of bar work is seasonal.

Best of luck, I am sure if you are determined enough something would pop up.
pwwm
pwwm is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:09 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
countryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Sax, Nr Elda Alicante.
Posts: 223
countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by jonesa80
Can anyone help me please,
I'm English looking to move to Spain - can anyone tell me what jobs are available for people who dont speak Spanish. And also wheres the best place to start looking. thank you Andy


Hello Andy,
I think you will be very limited in the work you are looking for, you would have to look at the seasonal work and in the costas where most of the English are, I think you would work in the Black market side (cash in hand) unless you get a contract of employment, finding real work as a non Spanish speaker is going to be very hard for you unless you know someone who is already out here and running some sort of employment agency.

But I wish you the best of luck if thats what you want to do.

David SR
countryboy is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 3:19 pm
  #4  
Sun, Sea & Sangria.
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Marbella
Posts: 142
BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by jonesa80
Can anyone help me please,

I'm English looking to move to Spain - can anyone tell me what jobs are available for people who dont speak Spanish. And also wheres the best place to start looking.

thank you

Andy
Where are you planning to move to?

Costa Brava, Del Sol, other?
BritBull is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:13 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 40
jonesa80 has a spectacular aura aboutjonesa80 has a spectacular aura aboutjonesa80 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by countryboy

Hello Andy,
I think you will be very limited in the work you are looking for, you would have to look at the seasonal work and in the costas where most of the English are, I think you would work in the Black market side (cash in hand) unless you get a contract of employment, finding real work as a non Spanish speaker is going to be very hard for you unless you know someone who is already out here and running some sort of employment agency.

But I wish you the best of luck if thats what you want to do.

David SR
thanks for the advice. was really hoping for something other than just bar work especially as we want to start a family in the next few years.
jonesa80 is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:15 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 40
jonesa80 has a spectacular aura aboutjonesa80 has a spectacular aura aboutjonesa80 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by BritBull
Where are you planning to move to?

Costa Brava, Del Sol, other?
My financee used to work in majorca but i know that is very seasonal work.
South of spain near the sea would be ideal, not exactly sure where.

Have a good job in uk, but the lifestyle is something we are seeking (like most people i guess)
jonesa80 is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:57 pm
  #7  
Sun, Sea & Sangria.
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Marbella
Posts: 142
BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by jonesa80
My financee used to work in majorca but i know that is very seasonal work.
South of spain near the sea would be ideal, not exactly sure where.

Have a good job in uk, but the lifestyle is something we are seeking (like most people i guess)
#

Yep the lifestyle is superb if you can find a decent job.
I moved to Marbella last year from a job paying 50euro per hour.
I couldn't find ANYTHING whatsoever on the coast, work wise.
It took me 4 months, applying every day for everything which became a full time job in itself.
I spoke no Spanish (my bad) and eventually found a position within my field (IT) in Gibraltar.
If you are planning to move to the south coast, I would suggest Gibraltar as a good start point to get some money coming in.

The taxes are ridiculously high and the traffic is a complete nightmare but money is money.

Cheers & best of luck

BB.

Last edited by BritBull; Nov 25th 2005 at 1:01 pm.
BritBull is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:36 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 85
jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: jobs in spain

Finding a job in Spain is not easy, pay is low and you need a lot of luck.

We wrote about this recently, click below to read our article:

Jobs in Spain
jaldridge is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:41 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 206
coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by jonesa80
Can anyone help me please,

I'm English looking to move to Spain - can anyone tell me what jobs are available for people who dont speak Spanish. And also wheres the best place to start looking.

thank you

Andy
Teaching English, though probably a saturated market in areas of the coast where there are a lot of expats. I'm doing a CELTA course in Madrid at the moment.
http://www.madridteacher.com/english...ing_madrid.htm
coralsoft is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:53 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 40
jonesa80 has a spectacular aura aboutjonesa80 has a spectacular aura aboutjonesa80 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by jaldridge
Finding a job in Spain is not easy, pay is low and you need a lot of luck.

We wrote about this recently, click below to read our article:

Jobs in Spain
thanks very much for your help. may prove to be more difficult than i first thought. didnt relize there are so few job agencys in spain. I think i have found 3 or 4 on the net theres about 10 in my small home town.

andy
jonesa80 is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:57 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Poolguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 34
Poolguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by jonesa80
thanks very much for your help. may prove to be more difficult than i first thought. didnt relize there are so few job agencys in spain. I think i have found 3 or 4 on the net theres about 10 in my small home town.

andy

I've posted a job in the pool industry but so far no replies. I guess that language is the biggest hurdle. English speakers just don not tend to learn other languages.

I think work is there if you have initiative....

Andrew
Poolguy is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:35 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
maryg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Midlands/Murcia
Posts: 163
maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by Poolguy
I've posted a job in the pool industry but so far no replies. I guess that language is the biggest hurdle. English speakers just don not tend to learn other languages.

I think work is there if you have initiative....

Andrew
I am working really hard at my Spanish.....although my classes are only once a week for 2 1/2 hours, I try and practice my reading and comprehension at home when I'm not working. I suppose most English people living on the coast don't feel the need to learn Spanish because they are mostly in an English speaking environment.
I would jump at your offer of work so would my husband but we are going to be living inland.....another reason to learn the language.
Best of luck with your search to provide employment!
Mary
maryg is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2005, 6:44 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gray C's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Cheshire England
Posts: 1,125
Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by maryg
I am working really hard at my Spanish.....although my classes are only once a week for 2 1/2 hours, I try and practice my reading and comprehension at home when I'm not working. I suppose most English people living on the coast don't feel the need to learn Spanish because they are mostly in an English speaking environment.
I would jump at your offer of work so would my husband but we are going to be living inland.....another reason to learn the language.
Best of luck with your search to provide employment!
Mary
Hi

We have applied to move to Canada, but this option is in the balance due to our daughter requiring growth hormone treatment, which is likely to get us a refusal on medical grounds (deemed to be a drain on the Canadian economy)

Our second option is to move to rural Spain, but where and how do we make a living?

Mary, I was interested to read your posting. How do you propose to make a living in rural Spain, as I would be interested to hear your ideas? My Spanish is very rusty and quite basic, but I am confident that I can learn the language to a reasonable conversational level with a bit of hard work.

We intend to purchase a property without a mortgage and can bring approximately £900 per month income with us, so I was hoping that we might be able to live reasonably comfortable (family of three, daughter aged 14) if we can generate an additional income of approximately £300 per month. Please tell me if this assumption is pie in the sky.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can manage to acquire this extra income.

We intend to live in a ruralish area, but not too far away from the British communities, on one of the costas (not decided yet and open to suggestions)

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Cheers

Graham
Gray C is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:41 am
  #14  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: jobs in spain

You are having a laugh, aren`t you. Owning a house and having 1200 euro`s
income a month, you should be laughing. That is massive money for Spain. I dont think you would need any extra, but it is nice to have something to do to pass the time away, cos you cant sit in the sun all day
jdr is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:24 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gray C's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Cheshire England
Posts: 1,125
Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: jobs in spain

Originally Posted by jdr
You are having a laugh, aren`t you. Owning a house and having 1200 euro`s
income a month, you should be laughing. That is massive money for Spain. I dont think you would need any extra, but it is nice to have something to do to pass the time away, cos you cant sit in the sun all day
Not having a laugh really, we are just not sure how far money goes nowadays in Spain. I do know that prices have gone up quite a bit in Menorca, but was not sure what our potential income would buy us on the mainland. I am pleased to hear your comments about the cost of living in ratio to our income. It gives us some peace of mind, but as you correctly state, we would not want to sit around in the sun all day and some part time work would be nice, even if you think that we may not need the extra money.

One thing that should be borne in mind though is that 14 year old daughters do not come cheap, with all their designer clothes etc.

Cheers

Graham
Gray C is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.