Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Jazz in Vigo, Galicia

Jazz in Vigo, Galicia

Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

MikeQuigley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jazz in Vigo, Galicia

Is there anyone there who knows about jazz in Vigo (Galicia)? I'm having a hard job finding a jazz jam or even local contacts. Not much on the web and the one jazz jam that I found has closed down. Complicated by the fact that the locals seem to apply the term "jazz" to all sorts of popular music.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jazz in Vigo, Galicia

Originally Posted by MikeQuigley
Is there anyone there who knows about jazz in Vigo (Galicia)? I'm having a hard job finding a jazz jam or even local contacts. Not much on the web and the one jazz jam that I found has closed down. Complicated by the fact that the locals seem to apply the term "jazz" to all sorts of popular music.
I dont know anything about jazz in Vigo, but I do know jazz is pretty big in Spain and there are a number of big important jazz festivals. The one in Vitoria is the most important.

I've heard a few young jazz bands in Asturias and they were great, what gets me is that Spanish musicians are technically excellent, just like their footballers

Do beware that jazz in Spain may include lots of Latin American or flamenco influences that I think are great and definately are part of jazz (jazz is anything you like anyway by definition!). There may be some people in Galicia who mix in local folk music because that is big up there with the bagpipes and everything.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

When I read the title of the thread I went woo! at least something about this part of the country! but also hmmpft! because I think I can't be of much help. I have a friend who's a "jazz" musician though, he's based in Santiago. What cricketman said, around here it's easy to find people who play jazz as in folk/celtic/fusiĆ³n.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:05 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

In Santiago you can see Elvis Costello & Diana Krall play on the night of the 27th July.
You have missed the Jazz festival in Vigo;

Will this place do?
or does this list help?