Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Jalon Valley - advice needed

Jalon Valley - advice needed

Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

jimjan will become famous soon enoughjimjan will become famous soon enough
Default Jalon Valley - advice needed

Hi to everyone, from a couple of newbies to this site.

We are both retired, looking to move out to Spain by next Christmas. My husband is in a wheelchair so our daughter (who is late 40's) will be coming with us to help out, intending to also become resident.

The spec we gave the agents was;

1.Coastal or within 15 mins drive.
2 Community/village, flat, with all facilities within walking distance so I can manage the wheelchair OK and take hubby to the local bar!
3 We all intend to take Spanish lessons, but hope to find a mixed age range expat community with social life for us and something for our daughter
4. Medical facilities in the immediate area, and not too far from a main hospital owing to my husbands health problems (high importance).

The suggestion has been the Jalon Valley so if there are any expats in this area comments/advice will be very appreciated.

Also we would be interested to hear if any of the (not so expensive) coastal resorts would be suitable (though we wouldn't want to be in a place that ' shuts down' at the end of the season)
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jalon Valley - advice needed

Originally Posted by jimjan

We are both retired, looking to move out to Spain by next Christmas. My husband is in a wheelchair so our daughter (who is late 40's) will be coming with us to help out, intending to also become resident.

2 Community/village, flat, with all facilities within walking distance so I can manage the wheelchair OK and take hubby to the local bar!
3 We all intend to take Spanish lessons, but hope to find a mixed age range expat community with social life for us and something for our daughter
4. Medical facilities in the immediate area, and not too far from a main hospital owing to my husbands health problems (high importance).

The suggestion has been the Jalon Valley so if there are any expats in this area comments/advice will be very appreciated.

Also we would be interested to hear if any of the (not so expensive) coastal resorts would be suitable (though we wouldn't want to be in a place that ' shuts down' at the end of the season)

who suggested the Jalon Valley?

it is lovely, and I have a friend with a house there, but I would no way recommend it if you have a wheelchair, unless you were planning to live right in the middle of town in Jalon or LLiber, and even then you'd get a town house with several floors, and the streets are hilly!

There is a new modern urbanisation, but you are still at least half an hour from the coast, (and that's really pushing it!)
Old Nov 5th 2006, 7:49 am
Just Joined

The valley was suggested by a couple of agents we talked to at the 'Place in the Sun' exhibition.

The problem we have is that we are not able to visit Spain and have a good look around all the areas, so we are having to rely on recommendation for a starting point.

We are pretty much decided on North Costa Blanca but are open to suggestions as to any suitable areas.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

The seafront in Denia stretches for miles and is flat. There are promenades with ramps at the southern end of the town. There is also a hospital in the town and a new one being built currently.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point

We have lived in Javea Port for the over two years now. I have difficulty in walking too far and going up hill,it is lovely and flat here . The main reason about living in this area the accessibility to a good health centre, although the main hospital in Denia is about twenty minutes drive away , about the same as Jalon, but everything here is in walking distance, banks , supermarkets, shops in general, beach and seafront, loads of good restaurants and bars all within easy reach, Javea Arenal area is also flat and easy to get around and has good accessibility, also good for younger people who like to club & disco, but Javea Old town is built high up and extremely hilly and hard to get around. Javea Port although coastal is almost the same all year around unlike a lot of coastal resorts that are like death valley in winter.
Having said that if you want a more remote setting Jalon might be okay I have n't been that far yet, only to Alcalali which is the next village but I found that too remote for us, as I don't drive now.It also depends on how much you can afford for property as Javea is quite expensive.Although there are more areas in Javea a bit less pricey they also can be a bit remote.
Also the people who live in Javea is quite mixed but they reckon that about 52% are non Spanish , although it still feels quite Spanish living here.
I guess it is down to whatever you need out of living in certain areas.
What we done was rented for 4 months will we had a good look around if that is possible I suggest that might help.
Personally I can't recommend Javea Port enough, I have major heart problems been to Denia Hospital three times but only as an outpatient , but found them extremely helpful and the hospital spotlessly clean.
Good luck if there is anything you would like to know.
Please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by guttyfeet; Nov 5th 2006 at 3:15 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Really think you should be looking to somewhere more to the coast, it doesn't shut down in winter as the Spanish Costas are all year round resorts. Inland it can be very hilly, and Spanish roads in those areas aren't really that wheelchair friendly. Here on the Sough Costa Blanca, we have plenty of shopping, bars restaurants in easy walking distance say in Torrevieja, and there are plenty of ramps for wheelchairs at road junctions, paths sloped down. miles of flat promenade walks and a very new hospital, only opened in the last few weeks. Unless you want a property right on the front or on the beach then they aren't too expensive, and you have the choice of apartments or houses. Suggest you look at a few of the property companies and what is available. I do suspect that the chap at the property exhibition was pushing the Jalon Valley because he had a load of properties there to sell.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Would agree with the comments above re the Jalon valley. Also would second the comments regarding Javea port. Of the three main areas in Javea - Arenal, old town and the port, the port is the best, in my opinion. Parking in the summer is a nightmare though.

Denia is still cheaper than Javea although not sure why. It could be that Javea beaches face south whereas Denias face north.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 3:32 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Jalon is nice but too far inland - really you want to be on the coast near the action and facilities - Denia has the nearest hospital and is a lively bustling town - next door to Denia is my town Javea - which would be my choice (or Moraira).

Mark
Old Nov 7th 2006, 10:35 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I was telling my friend who lives in Jalon about this & she was shocked that it was suggested to you in your situation

She suggested La Xara.......bigger ex-pat community, pretty flat, good links to the hospital in Denia, about 15 mins from the coast & property much cheaper than in Javea (where I live, and which of course would be my first choice) & Denia
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone who's answered - its given us plenty to think about.

We're intending to go the off-plan route as we are thinking along the lines of it being better value for money, less problematic and safer as regards some of the things we've read about (such as land grab and inheriting previous owner debts). However, in looking on the Internet at some of the areas suggested, we've seen a few re-sale that may suit.

Any thoughts on which is the best way to go, names/websites of recommended agents, and is it worth trying to negotiate price?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the area you will be looking at so can't suggest any agents or developers, but I certainly don't think buying off plan gives less chance of problems than buying a resale - in fact I would say just the opposite. There are plenty of comments from people on this forum who have experienced dreadful problems with delays in build completion, developers not having the proper permissions and building licences leading to the properties being declared illegal builds, then having problems getting electricity and water supplies connected, etc. etc etc.

If you buy a resale (as long as you have a good lawyer who will check the position regarding any outstanding debts on the property and make sure it is legally registered) none of the above applies. The land grab problem I think applies to those who bought properties in the countryside but the land has subsequently been urbanised - if you buy in a town or on an existing urbanisation this would not apply to you. Plus I always think with a resale you can see what you are actually getting, warts and all, rather than looking at a building site and an 'artists impression'.