Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Jags - 'Business case?'

Jags - 'Business case?'

Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jags - 'Business case?'

Just a quick postscript on the subject of Jags bistro. The most controversial subject on the various threads on the AC - eliciting many heated discussions! We have now heard from enough people 'in the know' to assume that the place is closed and wont re-open under the same management. This is just my personal opinion not an official statement of any kind. But I'm comfortable enough to post, and bet, on it. I'm not at all surprised, just sad that we have lost such a huge chunk of social activity on an already hugely depleted CE. Most BE/AC people know my views on the whole subject... so 'nuff said'

I dont have any financial information, but I believe it was/is a going concern. In high season any event needed booking to get a table - and was packed.
Even in low season the events were busy. It was the only place on CE with a 'proper' resto and bar that would e.g stay open late for those that wanted a drink. This means that from a business perspective there is a customer demand and, hence, money to be made here. Also a wonderful location.

I look around other places in the area and don't see that level of custom. So I hope that someone will come and try and break any 'logjam' in getting the place officially running.

We were in Monte Francisco the other day, many of the homes were closed, so it is also a 'seasonal place'. But they have 4 restos and 3 bars, not very full but still, in the least, scraping by. CE must be several times bigger (size and population-density) and we only have a golf club and a small shop. Its gotta be worth looking at!! There IS a demand here, I believe.

Add to that there is:
  1. No bus service (thanks to the Mayor - who favours Isla Canela as the bus goes there - and its empty in low season)
  2. Not much competition
  3. You need a car to get anywhere means that there is a 'captive audience' to make money from.
  4. Please note, any potential investor, that people will e.g pay +/- TWICE the price for a beer than some local bars in town, or a few minutes away in Portugal.
The right model would also attract people from TWO countries, many of whom are easily willing to drive 15 - 30 minutes to e.g have nice meal. I often ponder what I call the 'O Infante (1) formula': Their resto is well out of town you have no choice but to drive there... yet is always packed .. and have even extended their car park to accommodate coaches. (Oh yes - and they opened another bigger place 5 mins away!!) BTW the golf club has a huge car park.... and one of the best sized and equipped kitchens in the area with e.g walk in fridges etc. I reckon Gordon Ramsey would be effing happy to work there! Someone told me that their contract is up for renewal around May-time, and perhaps someone else will make a bid.

I heard that Villablanca has TWENTY restos/bars! Is Villablanca that much bigger? If TWENTY of them can make money - surely a new and only 'proper' bar/resto would rake it in here in CE!

So I hope there is an enterprising person out there willing to take the risk and open a social place in CE... I believe the right 'formula' would result in
this place becoming the social centre of Costa Esuri. Thus giving a wonderful opportunity to get a great return on investment.

The golf club is a nice place, with 2 of the nicest people we know running it - but I (and many friends) believe that it could be so much better. The bar
above the shop is an amazing location, it will need a reasonable investment. But could well work. Ex-Jags bistro is 'nearly there' but needs some time invested with the authorities to ensure that they can start up and operate properly.

I suppose in this awful crisis, money is hard to come by - but lets live in hope that there is someone out there - with the right vision and experience and the investment potential to make some good money for him/herself and create a much needed + wonderful place in Costa Esuri and its thousands of residents.

Multiply that by their guests = many people who have money to spend and WANT to do it locally.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jan 12th 2013 at 9:13 am.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:14 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jags - 'Business case?'

Gutted doesn't even cover it but I suppose you can't blame Jag for his decision - like you say hopefully someone will come in and carry on where he left off - does he still have the place in town does anyone know xxxxx
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Jags - 'Business case?'

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Gutted doesn't even cover it but I suppose you can't blame Jag for his decision - like you say hopefully someone will come in and carry on where he left off - does he still have the place in town does anyone know xxxxx
NO!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:35 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
The story here is that he has left Spain, unfortunately - they are a lovely family. Any new owner has an uphill struggle to get all the paperwork through the town hall and will not want a repeat of what happened... so will be very cautious.

Lets hope that there is a way to do this and we have a new local bar/resto.... also that someone realises the potential of the bar/resto above the shop. Might be a while though sadly....

Jon
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

mark donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Jon
Just a couple of points i would like to put my views on
Jags
The sad part of this is now what becomes of jags i can only see the building and pool falling in to disrepair over the next few years similar to some of the adjacent unoccuppied houses now, the idea of a private club for the 50 villas will now never work so what can happen to it,
maybe it needs to be sold as a private dwelling it could possibly made in to a decent B and B if planning and neighbours would allow, does anybody know who actually owns it if you buy 1 of the villas do you then own a percentage of the club if so then it becomes very complicated as to what can happen next

Shop
The shop is making a living by selling everyday groceries but predominantly by being able to use the shop and terrace as a bar,now if someone was to spend a lot of money fitting out a proper bar would they be happy to see next door selling cheap bottled beer and would you the customer sit on the terrace of the shop and pay 2 euros a beer or the terrace of the bar were it would be 3 euros a beer, the result will be the bar owner will say the shop is not licensed to sell alcohol due to not having the proper licences and with out the revenue the shop will close.
Maybe the answer is Manolo expands his empire to nip any competition in the bud that way when he is quiet he can just shut the bar and when he is busy stop the selling of alcohol in the shop, if that makes sense
Old Jan 15th 2013, 6:04 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by mark donna
Jon
Jags
The sad part of this is now what becomes of jags i can only see the building and pool falling in to disrepair over the next few years similar to some of the adjacent unoccuppied houses now, the idea of a private club for the 50 villas will now never work so what can happen to it,
maybe it needs to be sold as a private dwelling it could possibly made in to a decent B and B if planning and neighbours would allow, does anybody know who actually owns it if you buy 1 of the villas do you then own a percentage of the club if so then it becomes very complicated as to what can happen next

Shop
The shop is making a living by selling everyday groceries but predominantly by being able to use the shop and terrace as a bar,now if someone was to spend a lot of money fitting out a proper bar would they be happy to see next door selling cheap bottled beer and would you the customer sit on the terrace of the shop and pay 2 euros a beer or the terrace of the bar were it would be 3 euros a beer, the result will be the bar owner will say the shop is not licensed to sell alcohol due to not having the proper licences and with out the revenue the shop will close.
Maybe the answer is Manolo expands his empire to nip any competition in the bud that way when he is quiet he can just shut the bar and when he is busy stop the selling of alcohol in the shop, if that makes sense
Hi Mark - thanks got me thinking:

Jags. In order to have Jags 'go public' it needed a vote from the villas as they own a %age of the freehold. I dont know if the vote was to have 1) Jags specifically, or 2) to make it a public place generally. If it is 1) then another vote will certainly be needed if someone wants to take it. I suspect that even if it was (2) there may be another vote needed so that the villas can agree on the new formula. It was easier before as the developer had a block vote. This will be more diffcult now as I heard that the banks have taken over and getting a decision from them is going to be a different approval model. I don't have all the details here - but it is clearly going to be more difficult to do this with an extra admin/decision layer to go through. THEN there is also the approvals process at the town hall. This could be off-putting for any potential investor. However I still believe its a going concern, and I hope the investment up front and going through the hassle will be worth it. How many businesses have it really easy at the start? I hope it wont go into disrepair as I am sure that along with the freehold there are charges the villas pay for maintenace of the grounds, as we appartment holders have to do for community owned property. The advantage for the villas is that if there is a business there, there are no charges AND money coming in in rent.

Shop: We love the shop and call it 'the local' we always get a wonderful welcome from the owners, who we are VERY fond of. I would hate it if they were put out of business or badly affected by competition. However its a totally different business model than a proper bar. I know people who wont go there - especially in the winter when you can't really sit on the terrace. We live 'in hope', but I hope that they could live together. As the local, club and Jags did previously. But - yes - a bar they would be a few feet away from the shop. Then there's the business reality of the shop being in a commercial centre with more than 1 bar planned there. And the need in CE for more businesses. Both the club and local enjoy a monopoly - but there is a customer need to improve CE - and I would have to vote for that. There's thousands of people who have invested in CE and they should come first. We need more businesses in CE and we live in a world of business reality..... = ..... competition, which I think is what we need to improve. I'm a capitalist obviously.

I sneaked upstairs a couple of times last year when they were working there and I was excited that there may be a new business... On one occasion the shop owner himself came with me and showed me around, we were both wowing the location of this bar.

My 'business case' above was to highlight how other areas survive with competition, how we have a captive audience here - and the need here - and should be able to support multiple businesses. Like everywhere else.

Looks tough though in this crazy crisis. More disrepair may be on the cards

What is it with unlicensed businesses, is it that the town hall are not business friendly with too many hurdles making people try and get around it..... or is it too costly to get permissions..... or are people just taking shortcuts? I don't know. But all countries suffering this crisis need to make their systems more business friendly to encourage investment ..... and thus .... jobs!

It's a shame that we are having this discussion

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jan 15th 2013 at 6:22 am.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:07 am
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you posted this Jon and it would be great if somebody would take it on; you hear of so many people investing in resto's in Spain and failing BUT this does seem to be a one with good prospects if the right person takes it on, can cope with the town hall red tape, esentially provide good food, drinks at fair prices, entertainment, quiz nights etc ........and dove-tail in with neighbours !! Lots to do BUT the trade is there and we want the business on CE, I am sure we are all keen for it to be up and running otherwise it will become an eyesore.

The "local" is very good and I do feel it could run side by side (or below/above in this case) with another business above it. I feel sure a beer or wine taken in front of the shop would not be a threat to a resto/ bar above serving meals, having entertainment etc. The new business would have to be sure it offers something different - importantly a varied menu, ambience and good food and service. It should be a different type of meeting place all together - not a "pop -in" like the local but more an evening out.

Mel
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:53 am
V.S
Joined a short while ago

V.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant futureV.S has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mark donna
Jon
Jags

Shop
I agree Mark, if someone was to invest money and open a bar or restaurant LEGALLY above the shop, the new owners would rightfully be disgruntled at the shop owner serving beer ILLEGALLY at discounted prices.

The shop owner is running the same risk as Jags did by trading outside of the law and could face the same consequences at any time. Not only from a licensing prospective but as the local is licensed as a shop, I would be very surprised if he has public liability insurance for people sat drinking on his terrace!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 10:10 am
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Let's keep our heads down IF the "local" is illegally selling beer etc then we really do not want to draw attention to the fact. He provides a good service and we don't want him to have town hall problems.Ssssshhhh !!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

¡Hola!

How about turning Jag's into a spa?

Massage rooms (legally), mud baths (especially once they drag the Guadiana), pool (already there), silent staff (no language problems), zen like music drifting over the golf course (entranced golfers, contented neighbours)...

Seriously, a spa was one of the features of the proposed hotel.

Next...

Shop above the "local". How about a fitness suite? You know, them places with running/rowing machines etc. All facing the beautiful river, golf course through panoramic windows...
Thirsty customers will need a drink somewhere.

Next!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:01 am
MEL & JOHN

WOW !! now that is a great idea, the gym would be popular ( have to say I wouldn't go but great potential as so many people are keen to keep up their excercise EVEN on holiday) BUT jags into a spa would be brilliant. I have a good friend who lives on CE who does really good "pamper" treatments and she would be just the type gal to run that side of it. We would still want a bar and resto as well as quiz nights, entertainment etc. All there, potentially a good business with somebody with the money to invest, drive and enthusiam.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
WOW !! now that is a great idea, the gym would be popular ( have to say I wouldn't go but great potential as so many people are keen to keep up their excercise EVEN on holiday) BUT jags into a spa would be brilliant. I have a good friend who lives on CE who does really good "pamper" treatments and she would be just the type gal to run that side of it. We would still want a bar and resto as well as quiz nights, entertainment etc. All there, potentially a good business with somebody with the money to invest, drive and enthusiam.
Hi Mel & John, I notice that you have mentioned 'Quiz Nights' a couple of times. Since Jags closed the one that used to be held there is now Thursday nights at the Clubhouse. It has been running since the Summer and is well attended even in the Winter. There is also a monthly one at the Cinnamon Bar which is run to help with funding for the care of stray dogs. Regards Bryony
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Carol&John
¡Hola!

How about turning Jag's into a spa?

Massage rooms (legally), mud baths (especially once they drag the Guadiana), pool (already there), silent staff (no language problems), zen like music drifting over the golf course (entranced golfers, contented neighbours)...

Seriously, a spa was one of the features of the proposed hotel.

Next...

Shop above the "local". How about a fitness suite? You know, them places with running/rowing machines etc. All facing the beautiful river, golf course through panoramic windows...
Thirsty customers will need a drink somewhere.

Next!
Hi Carol+John

OK OK OK obviously its the New Year and you are flush with health and fitness resolutions

If we have a gym, could we also have a tapas bar and bar - like at the Ayamonte gym??

You can see I didn't make any resolutions this year, and still have a one track mind re food and drink!

Seriously ANY new business on CE has my vote... especially any that involve upping the social options on our huge site....

Thanks
Jon getting fatter!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:07 am
MEL & JOHN

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi Mel & John, I notice that you have mentioned 'Quiz Nights' a couple of times. Since Jags closed the one that used to be held there is now Thursday nights at the Clubhouse. It has been running since the Summer and is well attended even in the Winter. There is also a monthly one at the Cinnamon Bar which is run to help with funding for the care of stray dogs. Regards Bryony
Many thanks Byrony, have been to the Cinnamon and really enjoyed it- we do love a quiz night; it was so friendly and good fun! We came last but did win 6 bottles of beer in the raffle so winners after all ! Will definately try the club house when next in CE. See you there ?

Mel
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the double standards ! IF Jags did not have the proper permissions and was closed down why is the one that appears NOT to have the right permissions not closed also ?

In all this Jags business gossip and half truths, not many mention that a whole family have lost their business plus their staff were made unemployed by this. Some may have found new work some just get more shit piled on them. I wish them nothing but better luck for the future.

Costa Esuri needs business but I doubt anyone would want to take one on there given the apparent unfair playing field and ever changing goal posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.