Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ive seen a house in Oliva. Do any of you live there?

ive seen a house in Oliva. Do any of you live there?

Old Jan 24th 2014, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

mckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant future
Default ive seen a house in Oliva. Do any of you live there?

HI Guys, We are now looking for our cheap property as we plan to have moved over within 2 years now. So i have seen a nice town house old town oliva thats only 49,000 or nearest offer. Looks quite spacious and i wondered if any of you guys live there, We will have a 2 years old with us and a 16 year old. So although we wanted to be able to drive to the sea at times we only have a small budget as we dont want a mortgage. I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me about the location and if any ex pat clubs to meet folk, also we are learning spanish very slowly i may add. Wondered if you coul recommend as a base for the first few years or so anyway,
Many Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2014, 4:42 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ive seen a house in Oliva. Do any of you live there?

Originally Posted by mckenzie1970
HI Guys, We are now looking for our cheap property as we plan to have moved over within 2 years now. So i have seen a nice town house old town oliva thats only 49,000 or nearest offer. Looks quite spacious and i wondered if any of you guys live there, We will have a 2 years old with us and a 16 year old. So although we wanted to be able to drive to the sea at times we only have a small budget as we dont want a mortgage. I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me about the location and if any ex pat clubs to meet folk, also we are learning spanish very slowly i may add. Wondered if you coul recommend as a base for the first few years or so anyway,
Many Thanks
There are a plethora of cheap townhouses in Oliva, it has a nice beach and is just up the road from Denia, which is very commercial but still nice.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

I live in Oliva. There are a lot of properties for sale in Oliva at the moment (like most spanish towns). So have a good look round. There's a Facebook community group called "The New Oliva Tattler" which you might find useful.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

mckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant future

Hi there thanks for that i will take a look now, thanks ever so .
Old Jan 24th 2014, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

found them, just waiting for them to accept me . It may be worth a trip out and have a walk round i think, seems good location wise and at prices we can afford as some other coastal towns are way out of our budget. cheers
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:13 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

think carefully............

toddler may grow up and need more space
toddler may be joined by other toddler(s)

what sounds to be a 2 up 2 down town house may well not have parking within a mile walk, will take all your money for heating, have no back garden just a small terrace with poor drainage, continual shade no sun
how much extra work will it need to make it what you can live with
does it have full electricity that actually has an earth without ripping it all out and rewiring

I'm sure many others will come on to add to the list

please think carefully..................
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:30 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
think carefully............

toddler may grow up and need more space
toddler may be joined by other toddler(s)

what sounds to be a 2 up 2 down town house may well not have parking within a mile walk, will take all your money for heating, have no back garden just a small terrace with poor drainage, continual shade no sun
how much extra work will it need to make it what you can live with
does it have full electricity that actually has an earth without ripping it all out and rewiring

I'm sure many others will come on to add to the list

please think carefully..................
Nothing different to a terraced house in the UK, at that price I'm sure that the OP expects to spend a few quid on it. Strangely enough I googled rightmove, Oliva and noted on villa adds that the same estate agent's car figured on many of the photos, also several photos on different adds appeared to be exactly the same.

The OP definitely needs to get out there and talk to some of the locals, I can't put my finger on it, but something is wrong.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with buying somewhere in Spain as a base for the first few years is the high costs attached to buying and selling property here. You pay at least 10% of the purchase price in tax and legal fees, then might (if you're lucky and can sell it) have to pay 5 or 6% in estate agent's commission and plus valia tax when you sell. Then you need to start all over again with another 10% on top of whatever next property you buy.

IMO it's better to wait until you can get somewhere that would suit your long term needs.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 6:52 pm
Banned

It's always your choice at the end of the day, what is right for one is wrong for another, IMHO there is only a right or wrong time with the benefit of hindsight. In my time I've dropped some right clangers by taking other folks advice and conversely done very well by following the courage of my own convictions.

Just take care and take what the agent says with a very large pinch of salt.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Regards meeting people in the area, try these.

http://www.gandiaareasocialclub.com/

http://www.u3aoliva.camp7.org/

Best regards

jonboy
Old Jan 25th 2014, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

If it's "cheap", it's for a reason. What does your up and coming 16 year old think about the idea? That's not a nice age to be moving to a new culture. In two years time, he wont be fluent in Spanish, and there's further education/ work to be considered. My advice would be to bide your time. A lot can happen in two years, and one thing for sure is that property prices arent going to shoot up in that time. I believe that whenever moving to a new country, you should always rent until you are sure where you want to live and know the area. I know renting and then moving again can be a hassle, but rather that than finding you made the wrong choice and its you that now has to offload the "cheap" place.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

HI Guys much appreciated all the feedback, there will be no more toddlers we are both 44 and little Sofia was a beautiful suprise but that will do lol. I do have a little knowledge of the pros and cons of the propety game as i worked in property for a few years both UK and overseas, but i do agree that this property does seem cheap , maybe not even for sale but a way to get you to the place so we can be shown stuff that we dont need " i know some agents do this" sounds a little negative but i never really take agents advice as given always do my homework after that, the house itself i would bid very low anyway with regard to any workds to be done, it does seem quite a handy location though. I think Oliva would be a good base. The main thing is we want no mortgage but dont want to rent with a small one as the mrs wouldnt feel very secure renting, but i do agree with all points here, i am going to nip over and get my ear to the ground. Feel a little lucky as my work is online and so i can take the small business anywhere as long as can have a connection, so we will be coming with an income which we feel lucky for in this climate. Keep the info coming im really interested and thanks johnboy for the links too. Many Thanks Guys, ill get a flight and do a few days on foot i think, to begin with. ps, crooksey, Ditto,
Old Jan 25th 2014, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

fogot to add,i have lived and worked in spain previously although quite a few years ago now and my stepson is italian and speaks a little spanish, english and italian of course, he really wants the move too, hates the UK weather and loves tapas a lot. so i have no worries there i think.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
If it's "cheap", it's for a reason. What does your up and coming 16 year old think about the idea? That's not a nice age to be moving to a new culture. In two years time, he wont be fluent in Spanish, and there's further education/ work to be considered. My advice would be to bide your time. A lot can happen in two years, and one thing for sure is that property prices arent going to shoot up in that time. I believe that whenever moving to a new country, you should always rent until you are sure where you want to live and know the area. I know renting and then moving again can be a hassle, but rather that than finding you made the wrong choice and its you that now has to offload the "cheap" place.
Agree, Spain is not the place to be moving to with a tight budget, great to retire to with loads of cash! Personally I would never ever consider making that move with a 16 year old in tow, they'll find it very difficult, and at that age, they can be very difficult! Why not hang on a year or two until the 16 year old is settled in UK, in a job or uni, then if he wants to go to Spain. OK.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:57 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mckenzie1970
fogot to add,i have lived and worked in spain previously although quite a few years ago now and my stepson is italian and speaks a little spanish, english and italian of course, he really wants the move too, hates the UK weather and loves tapas a lot. so i have no worries there i think.
That's it then...sorted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.