Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

IVA on Electricity to rise to 10% from 1 January 2024

IVA on Electricity to rise to 10% from 1 January 2024

Old Dec 27th 2023, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default IVA on Electricity to rise to 10% from 1 January 2024

Pedro Sánchez has announced today that from 1 January, IVA on electricity bills will go up to 10% and stay at that level until the end of next year (which is better than it going back up to the pre-cost of living crisis level of 21% in one go). The reduction in IVA on gas bills will only continue until next Spring, however. Reduced IVA on basic foodstuffs, and help with public transport costs, will continue for now.

El Gobierno mantiene la mayoría de las ayudas a hogares pese a la caída de los precios energéticos | Economía | EL PAÍS (elpais.com)
Old Dec 27th 2023, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IVA on Electricity to rise to 10% from 1 January 2024

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Pedro Sánchez has announced today that from 1 January, IVA on electricity bills will go up to 10% and stay at that level until the end of next year (which is better than it going back up to the pre-cost of living crisis level of 21% in one go). The reduction in IVA on gas bills will only continue until next Spring, however. Reduced IVA on basic foodstuffs, and help with public transport costs, will continue for now.

El Gobierno mantiene la mayoría de las ayudas a hogares pese a la caída de los precios energéticos | Economía | EL PAÍS (elpais.com)
It is what it is unfortunately, but we here in Spain are still massively better off than in the Uk and other places.
Our electric bill averages around €48, my son pays nearly £200 a month...
Old Dec 27th 2023, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
It is what it is unfortunately, but we here in Spain are still massively better off than in the Uk and other places.
Our electric bill averages around €48, my son pays nearly £200 a month...
I had a look at my latest bill on the Iberdrola website today, and very helpfully the total I have spent in 2023 was displayed - €668. I remember that just before I left the UK towards the end of 2006 I had been paying 60 pounds a month for gas and electricity on a dual fuel tariff, so an annual total of 720 pounds. So I am still, after 17 years, paying less now for domestic energy than I was then.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 4:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The cost in Spain has stayed reasonably static compared to the UK where it is now almost three times more expensive per unit. Our bill has been the same for the last 10 years, to some extent due to suitably timed changes of supplier.

I’m pleased that the IVA is going to continue to be at a reduced rate. Until a few months ago I was paying the full 21% as my potencia was over 10kw. I have reduced it to 9.9kw so it is now at the lower rate.

I have also just installed 10kw of solar panels so it will soon cost me zero! The subsidies are now so huge that it seems silly not to go solar.

Old Dec 28th 2023, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lynn.

My average Iberdrola bill was 37,68€ in 2023 - I have electric water heating and usual appliances but use butano for my main heating.
Old Feb 29th 2024, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Consumers are going to see their bills rise again from today onwards as IVA will go up from 10% to 21% - because the cost of electricity in the wholesale market has dropped below €45 per mwh (even though those of us paying a fixed unit cost for electricity won't see any reduction in that).

El IVA de la luz subirá al 21% desde el viernes tras descartar el Gobierno mantener la rebaja (elconfidencial.com)
Old Feb 29th 2024, 9:44 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

To clarify the UK/Spain cost difference, A unit of electricity in the UK has just been reduced to 27p. In Spain it is now 11 centimos - about a third of the price.
Old Mar 1st 2024, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Consumers are going to see their bills rise again from today onwards as IVA will go up from 10% to 21% - because the cost of electricity in the wholesale market has dropped below €45 per mwh (even though those of us paying a fixed unit cost for electricity won't see any reduction in that).

El IVA de la luz subirá al 21% desde el viernes tras descartar el Gobierno mantener la rebaja (elconfidencial.com)
Yep got mine last week and it was around 12 euros more. Plus on 1st the new price for the Iberdrola plan estable changed and is higher so my bills are definitely going to be higher. Can't be escaped.
Old Mar 1st 2024, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
Yep got mine last week and it was around 12 euros more. Plus on 1st the new price for the Iberdrola plan estable changed and is higher so my bills are definitely going to be higher. Can't be escaped.
I do think it's misleading for the energy companies to claim that their rates won't increase when you take out this type of contract, when it is stated in the terms and conditions that they can apply an increase in line with the IPC on 1st January each year. It's not just Iberdrola (I am with them too), all the companies I have checked say the same. The unit cost the energy companies are now offering is 5 cents per kwh lower than what I am now paying (which doesn't sound much but could add €10 to the monthly bill, then there is 21% IVA and the 5% electricity tax on top, so over a year it might be worth switching again. However Iberdrola have been a lot better at issuing the bills on time than my previous supplier, Naturgy, was and I am always reading horror stories about the problems people have trying to get bils out of Energia XXI (Endesa) so maybe better the devil you know.
Old Mar 1st 2024, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I do think it's misleading for the energy companies to claim that their rates won't increase when you take out this type of contract, when it is stated in the terms and conditions that they can apply an increase in line with the IPC on 1st January each year. It's not just Iberdrola (I am with them too), all the companies I have checked say the same. The unit cost the energy companies are now offering is 5 cents per kwh lower than what I am now paying (which doesn't sound much but could add €10 to the monthly bill, then there is 21% IVA and the 5% electricity tax on top, so over a year it might be worth switching again. However Iberdrola have been a lot better at issuing the bills on time than my previous supplier, Naturgy, was and I am always reading horror stories about the problems people have trying to get bils out of Energia XXI (Endesa) so maybe better the devil you know.
Yes I agree. I thought the Iberdrola estable plan fixed mine but as you say it is only fixed until the next revision. Still it doesn't really matter who you use- after the usual offer to attract you expires you get the same conditions as everyone else and as Iberdrola is the big one they are easier to deal with than some of the others.
Old Mar 1st 2024, 11:53 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

From experience Endesa has some IT problem with its billing, once you miss a bill you could go for six months without anything then six bills are generated one day after the other. And you have to be on top of them reminding them from time to time.

Last edited by DLC; Mar 1st 2024 at 12:03 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2024, 3:18 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been told by my company (Gana Energia) that the prices are coming down substantially on 1st April. This will far outweigh the increase in IVA
Old Mar 1st 2024, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I've just been told by my company (Gana Energia) that the prices are coming down substantially on 1st April. This will far outweigh the increase in IVA
Thanks for that, I guess it is logical that prices (for new contracts presumably, and existing customers would have to switch suppliers to take advantage of the lower prices if they were paying a fixed rate) would come down if the wholesale price of electricity has dropped so much. I will hold fire on making a decision on whether to switch and see what happens. Are Gana Energia a good company to deal with?
Old Mar 2nd 2024, 7:28 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I guess it is logical that prices (for new contracts presumably, and existing customers would have to switch suppliers to take advantage of the lower prices if they were paying a fixed rate) would come down if the wholesale price of electricity has dropped so much. I will hold fire on making a decision on whether to switch and see what happens. Are Gana Energia a good company to deal with?
I am an existing customer not on a fixed deal
Old Mar 31st 2024, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just got my March bill and it's 64 € for 180 kWh. I live in around 50m flat and have no electric heating just water heater. Normally since the pandemic etc I was around 37€ a month. I guess the new amount is that IVA is now back to a whopping 21 %
​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.