Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ITV Cracked Windscreen! Pass/Fail?

ITV Cracked Windscreen! Pass/Fail?

Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

BriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant future
Default ITV Cracked Windscreen! Pass/Fail?

Hello Everyone!
A question about the ITV test!
Is a cracked windscreen a failure on the test? The reason I ask is we have a not too common American MPV and the crack in the screen doesn’t effect the vision. It is on the driver’s side but I don’t find it a problem.
There seems to be loads more vehicles with screen cracks in Spain, but maybe it's just that way because of the 2 years between tests.
Anyone have any experience of putting a vehicle in for a test with a crack like this?
Obviously I don’t want the expense of shipping a screen over from the US and having it fitted if I can help it!
Thanks
Keith
PS its a 1999 GMC Safari LWB if you are interested. The same as a Chevy Astro.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:52 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ITV Cracked Windscreen! Pass/Fail?

There is an element of the ITV that calls for an inspection of all glass but I've never seen any of the testers do this to any thorough extent...other than check that your windscreen washers work, that seems to be the only time they pay any attention to the windscreen. The outcome does sometimes vary though according to tester/testing station.
As vehicles get older they do have to be tested more regularly, every 6 months for some eg vans, my old landrover... it's a good thing but does mean you get to spend an awful lot of your life in ITV testing stations!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:55 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know the break points. I have an 12 year old car but it still seems to be on a two year ITV
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BriscasBetterHalf
Hello Everyone!
A question about the ITV test!
Is a cracked windscreen a failure on the test? The reason I ask is we have a not too common American MPV and the crack in the screen doesn’t effect the vision. It is on the driver’s side but I don’t find it a problem.
There seems to be loads more vehicles with screen cracks in Spain, but maybe it's just that way because of the 2 years between tests.
Anyone have any experience of putting a vehicle in for a test with a crack like this?
Obviously I don’t want the expense of shipping a screen over from the US and having it fitted if I can help it!
Thanks
Keith
PS its a 1999 GMC Safari LWB if you are interested. The same as a Chevy Astro.
I put mine thru the ITV @ Jumilla and it has a crack on the passenger side, they either didnt notice or its not a failure point.

Check ur insurance policy and see if they will pay, a lot do!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its only a failure in the UK if its in your line of sight isn't it
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Does anyone know the break points. I have an 12 year old car but it still seems to be on a two year ITV
Once the vehicle reaches 10 years old, the test becomes annual from the next test. I believe this goes on the date of registration or matriculation, so if you are talking about your FTO, then it's a very good question!
Tim
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:46 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Our car is over 10 years old and has to have the itv every year.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:53 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Once the vehicle reaches 10 years old, the test becomes annual from the next test. I believe this goes on the date of registration or matriculation, so if you are talking about your FTO, then it's a very good question!
Tim
Yes thats why I was confused as I was getting ready to take it for ITV and then I noticed the window sticker had 02 09

Given that the car was originally registered in Japan in 1995, and then registered in the UK in 1998, and then registered in Spain in Feb 2007, I think some confusion has ocurred
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:09 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Yes thats why I was confused as I was getting ready to take it for ITV and then I noticed the window sticker had 02 09

Given that the car was originally registered in Japan in 1995, and then registered in the UK in 1998, and then registered in Spain in Feb 2007, I think some confusion has ocurred
Well traveled car you have there mitzy!!!!!! How many kilometers does it have? Must be a good make!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:03 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Well traveled car you have there mitzy!!!!!! How many kilometers does it have? Must be a good make!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its got about 70,000 miles on the clock, 60,000 of them by me
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Have a question re ITV,have read diff advice on diff sites
If the car has been modified (body kits etc) will it still be able to go through an ITV test?,or if had suspension lowered etc?
Have read that it can only go through ITV if unmodifed,also is it true that the car is weighted
Sorry if this is a stupid question,but the advice out there does seem somewhat contradictory
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: ITV Cracked Windscreen! Pass/Fail?

Its only a failure in the UK if its in your line of sight isn't it
More like "zone of sight" there is a picture in the MOT leaflet which defines this.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:43 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcortez
Have a question re ITV,have read diff advice on diff sites
If the car has been modified (body kits etc) will it still be able to go through an ITV test?,or if had suspension lowered etc?
Have read that it can only go through ITV if unmodifed,also is it true that the car is weighted
Sorry if this is a stupid question,but the advice out there does seem somewhat contradictory
As far as we know you can put a car though the ITV modified (in Spanish TUNING). However all the changes must be noted on the registration document. Here is a link in Spanish, which may help. It has links to more information too.
http://tuning.deautomoviles.com.ar/a...ologacion.html
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:49 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
As far as we know you can put a car though the ITV modified (in Spanish TUNING). However all the changes must be noted on the registration document. Here is a link in Spanish, which may help. It has links to more information too.
http://tuning.deautomoviles.com.ar/a...ologacion.html

Well .... not quite.

My car has all kinds of modifications including induction airfilter, straight through de catted exhaust system etc etc ...... but when it came to the ITV I learned that they were concerned about was the uprated grooved brake discs, originally put on to improve the braking.

On the first ITV / reg the wheel & tyre sizes were noted as well, so I can't now change them to 18" wheels even if I wanted to. So there are mods that they wont allow but strangely they won't be the most logical ones!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:33 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

But your car is law until itself. It seems that it does not have to be tested every year.

Anyway having just spent the past half an hour or so searching for details of what is tested. Found zilch. However there were a lot of laws about the Homologation of vehicles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.