Italy vs Spain

Old Apr 14th 2015, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Calimero_s_Eggshell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Italy vs Spain

Hi everybody,

I'm contemplating a move to either Italy or Spain.

Well, actually, I would be more attracted to Italy, but would appreciate some feedback from people who have lived in both countries, regarding cultural differences/mentality, friendliness of people, cost of living, healthcare, infrastructures, bureaucracy, crime, corruption,... Economy is of less concern as I won't be seeking employment for some time.

My understanding is that e.g. the overall cost of living is cheaper in Spain, but corruption is more rampant in Italy.

Any insight welcome!
Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italy vs Spain

I would go to the country where you speak the language and have more cultural references

I knew some Italians when I lived in Barcelona who had moved there because they were "sick of corruption and nepotism" in Italy, but I think they were from Naples which probably had something to do with it

Spain is a very big country. I would give you a very different answer depending on where you were thinking of living. Italy has a huge North South divide. North of Italy very expensive, South of Italy very cheap, even more so than in Spain
Old Apr 14th 2015, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

We did a Swat analysis to help us with the choice between Portugal, Spain and France. To do that we had to go and actually live there (caravan) and draw up strengths and weaknesses for our criteria.

This was after Internet research. Spain won out by a whisker.

On the corruption front, if you buy/rent a property that is all above board then you shouldn't be affected much by the corruption and jobs for the boys that seems to be endemic.

Economy might be a problem later. e.g. if you buy and Italy crashes out of the Euro and consequently has rampant inflation, currency controls and so on. Ten years ago we didn't see the crash that Spain is going through. Perhaps we should have.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you cricketman and olivefarmer for your replies.

Actually, my mother tongue is French. I have never studied either Spanish nor Italian; the linguistic proximity between French, Spanish and Italian and the fact that I have studied Latin at school should give me some advantage for either language, but I assume that learning either Spanish or Italian will still require a lot of effort.

I am somewhat more familiar with Italian culture, but of course I will do my homework to grab as much info on both countries as possible before deciding to make the move.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is a more homogenized country, is better distributed in terms of infrastructure and more things, for example, while Italy has a huge cultural and economic gaps depending if whether north or south where you live. So much so, that exists a separatist political party called " Liga Norte " (Northern League) who wants to split the northern Italy of the southern Italy

Certainly there is corruption in Spain (I think that as in all countries) but compared to the corruption of Italy, which in Spain is a joke. Also something that attracts attention in Italy, and is the sense of chaos that exists, especially in traffic

Italy also has the problem of the mafia, especially in parts of the south of the country, where or has not been eradicated or has a significant influence

Last edited by Relampago; Apr 16th 2015 at 8:22 am.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
Spain is a more homogenized country, is better distributed in terms of infrastructure and more things, for example, while Italy has a huge cultural and economic gaps depending if whether north or south where you live
Seriously?

Spain varies so much depending on the province and even town where you live, it is almost unbelievable

This is coming from someone who has lived in Catalunya, Andalucia and Asturias

Just take something like food. The 3 cuisines in those 3 areas are entirely different, and then you have Basque and Castillian cuisine which is different again.

And climate too, entirely different North, South, Central and East. Spain is essentially a mini-continent. Not to mention the many different languages
Old Apr 16th 2015, 10:35 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with cricketman.

Did I just say that?
Old Apr 16th 2015, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Seriously?

Spain varies so much depending on the province and even town where you live, it is almost unbelievable

This is coming from someone who has lived in Catalunya, Andalucia and Asturias

Just take something like food. The 3 cuisines in those 3 areas are entirely different, and then you have Basque and Castillian cuisine which is different again.

And climate too, entirely different North, South, Central and East. Spain is essentially a mini-continent. Not to mention the many different languages
I don't speak of kitchen or climate, I talk about other things, like infrastructure. And the climate, I don't not know what you mean. I'm from southeast, and here in winter is not hot
Old Apr 16th 2015, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you guys for this further insight!