Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

irrigation problem.

irrigation problem.

Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:59 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default irrigation problem.

Don't know if this is any use, but it ocurred to me that there must be other people out there that have the same problem.

Drip feed irrigation is most susceptable to the weeps blocking with calcite if your water is hard. Mine of course being harder than nails, plus all the sand and clay in the water means that mine are blocking up at a hell of a rate. So, I wondered what I should do. Cleaning them is effectively impossible, and replacing them is a) expensive, b) time consuming, and c) futile, as any new weep lines will block up too.

I experimented with making small holes in the drip pipes with a very small brad awl. These holes come in two sizes, natch. Too small, or too large, whereupon the jet of water is a minor erosion problem. However, I did work out a solution. You take a section of pipe that would normally be thrown away because it is too short. You then cut it into sections about an inch and a half long, and then make a single cut lengthways in each one. That enables each section to open up like a huge 'C' clip. You then puncture the hole in the underside of the pipe, and when the water jets out, slip one of these clips over it. The jet effect stops dead, and turns into a drip flow. If you end up with all the pipes dripping a bit too fast, well, you just leave the water on for a shorter period. Alternatively, if one hole is waaaayyy too big, then you can use a small cable tie to clamp the 'C' clip tightly to the pipe. Usefully, the system can be done with the water lines working, so you can see with each hole how your modifications are working, rather that having to run to and fro checking it.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:10 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: irrigation problem.

why not just use permeable soaker hose?

Or is that too obvious for people on here?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:59 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Same problem. Calcite and so on will still block it in the end. Plus, I have an idea it's a whole lot more expensive. I'd need it by the hundred metre roll.

Some times the obvious, isn't.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:59 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Same problem. Calcite and so on will still block it in the end. Plus, I have an idea it's a whole lot more expensive. I'd need it by the hundred metre roll.

Some times the obvious, isn't.
and 100 meters of soaker hose is 50 pence a meter.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:08 pm
bil
Banned

What's its structure and sizes like?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:13 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by bil
What's its structure and sizes like?
Its black, the same thickness as a normal hose, I connect it with hozelock fittings although I have also used copper pipe with jubilee clips and have just fitted about 300 meters around an orchard.

I have always used it and have never heard of it calcifying up.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:14 pm
bil
Banned

How hard is your water?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:18 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by bil
How hard is your water?
Why don't we just say that its not suitable and be done with it?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:41 pm
bil
Banned

I was just curious if your water was hard or not. What's the problem with that?

I'll keep an eye out for the soaker hose. As yet I haven't seen any of it in the Cadiz region garden centres.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:17 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Some times Lidl sell this too
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:58 am
bil
Banned

Thanks. That's a really sensible suggestion. Lidl has some cracking deals on some things.