Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

An Introduction

An Introduction

Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

sammy21 is on a distinguished road
Default An Introduction

I guess i was inspired by Splatts post and after reading the many posts about life here in Spain, the good and bad i thought id share my story

I came here nearly 5 years ago...for love....oh how cliche, after a 2 years long distance "relationship". I saw an opportunity for work and thought i could give it a go for 6 months. I took a quick TEFL course as a back up as
Im a dance teacher and choreographer and saw a little gap in the market.
I started teaching english but hated it. Probably manged around 3 months

so 4.5 years on...the mans dumped me, but the work has only gotten bigger and better.
Living in Madrid has been an experience. Luckily with dance, speaking the local langugage was not necessary initially and my first classes were in English. But of course i was in the mind set to learn, i remember being in tears in the street with frustration when i was told the flat i wanted to see for rent was gone......but i didn´t understand him.
I think it took me around 3 yrs before the lightbulb in my head went on and i could understand spanish tv (i hated studying though) and conversations properly. I actually enjoyed blocking out some of the inane conversations people around would have (generally shouting).i was proud of myself when i had my first argument with a taxi driver!

I obviously had to learn the language as im working with only spanish people and you know its been fun learning. I can teach totally in Spanish now but i do like to mix it up as its funnier for the students. sometimes i even forget the words in english....its a very strange feeling.

I have a group of American and other english speaking friends whom i love to hang out with. Its not really an ex-pat thing as such. Just a time to relax and not think about my grammar!

Im happy here, even without the boyfriend, and i´m excited about this comning year. Im creating projects and work which i guess is key here.

With regards to econmic crisis.....i am seeing the difference. When i first started it would be no problem to fill 60€ dance courses. Now all the dance schools are struggling. Being freelance helps me as i can create cheaper courses and classes as the people still do want to dance, just don´t want to outlay as much cash as before.
There are more art festivals happening every year and people are participating, so there is money out there.
It just being clever in ways to get to that money!

I don´t have plans for the future, not even thiking about returning to the uk (i thought about it all of 2 seconds when the relationship ended)

Its not perfect here, i do sometimes feel far away from family and friends and i guess although i know hundreds of people though work, i can probably count my good friends here in Spain on one hand.

who knows where ill be in 5 years time............
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:41 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Introduction

Originally Posted by sammy21
I guess i was inspired by Splatts post and after reading the many posts about life here in Spain, the good and bad i thought id share my story

I came here nearly 5 years ago...for love....oh how cliche, after a 2 years long distance "relationship". I saw an opportunity for work and thought i could give it a go for 6 months. I took a quick TEFL course as a back up as
Im a dance teacher and choreographer and saw a little gap in the market.
I started teaching english but hated it. Probably manged around 3 months

so 4.5 years on...the mans dumped me, but the work has only gotten bigger and better.
Living in Madrid has been an experience. Luckily with dance, speaking the local langugage was not necessary initially and my first classes were in English. But of course i was in the mind set to learn, i remember being in tears in the street with frustration when i was told the flat i wanted to see for rent was gone......but i didn´t understand him.
I think it took me around 3 yrs before the lightbulb in my head went on and i could understand spanish tv (i hated studying though) and conversations properly. I actually enjoyed blocking out some of the inane conversations people around would have (generally shouting).i was proud of myself when i had my first argument with a taxi driver!

I obviously had to learn the language as im working with only spanish people and you know its been fun learning. I can teach totally in Spanish now but i do like to mix it up as its funnier for the students. sometimes i even forget the words in english....its a very strange feeling.

I have a group of American and other english speaking friends whom i love to hang out with. Its not really an ex-pat thing as such. Just a time to relax and not think about my grammar!

Im happy here, even without the boyfriend, and i´m excited about this comning year. Im creating projects and work which i guess is key here.

With regards to econmic crisis.....i am seeing the difference. When i first started it would be no problem to fill 60€ dance courses. Now all the dance schools are struggling. Being freelance helps me as i can create cheaper courses and classes as the people still do want to dance, just don´t want to outlay as much cash as before.
There are more art festivals happening every year and people are participating, so there is money out there.
It just being clever in ways to get to that money!

I don´t have plans for the future, not even thiking about returning to the uk (i thought about it all of 2 seconds when the relationship ended)

Its not perfect here, i do sometimes feel far away from family and friends and i guess although i know hundreds of people though work, i can probably count my good friends here in Spain on one hand.

who knows where ill be in 5 years time............
Hi Sammy, good to hear about your experiences. I'm impressed that you've managed to keep the work coming in by being flexible. Good too that you've learnt the language - I know exactly what you mean about forgetting English words, I think it's quite normal (and frustrating). Do you give dance lessons in central Madrid, or all over the city/province?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:47 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear you're sticking with it and have a positive outlook on everything.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Hi Sammy, good to hear about your experiences. I'm impressed that you've managed to keep the work coming in by being flexible. Good too that you've learnt the language - I know exactly what you mean about forgetting English words, I think it's quite normal (and frustrating). Do you give dance lessons in central Madrid, or all over the city/province?
Yeah it was a leap of faith to come here, but i know it the best decision i ever made.
i teach all over spain :-) as my plan was not to have to be in any single city. ive travelled a lot of spain with an idea of seeing where i would eventually want to live. i love cadiz so far. Valencia is great but the humidity not great for my hair...hehehehe
and of the course the Islands i love...Tenerife/Ibiza/Lanzarote for example (although same problem with humidity and frizzy hair)
Im living in Madrid now i guess as its my base...but who knows. maybe im ready for another adventure.
I want to be positive about all this.....because i have no other choice now i guess. If i get negative its not going to help me.
Of course there are negatives...the field of dance is not the most welcoming...very fickle and the Spanish really know how to bitch if they don-t like you. dayum! It seems the negatives vibes are generally louder then the positive.
When i get good feedback its very warming. The spanish, mainly women of course really speak from their heart.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:08 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Of course there are negatives...the field of dance is not the most welcoming...very fickle and the Spanish really know how to bitch if they don-t like you.
But as a professional teacher, isn't it better to hear the complaints, rather than to have people drop out and you don't know why (I'm sure you get these too)? Anyway I'm still very impressed by someone from the UK who earns their living teaching dance to the Spanish!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
But as a professional teacher, isn't it better to hear the complaints, rather than to have people drop out and you don't know why (I'm sure you get these too)? Anyway I'm still very impressed by someone from the UK who earns their living teaching dance to the Spanish!
oh but they are not complaints. complaints are constructive and very important for me.

these are bitchy comments by people who think they know what they are doing. im have a lot of experience in dance...and im teaching a style which is new to most of these people...and so....when i hear their very rude comments....i ignore it. i dont mean to sound conceited in any way. art is very subjective and you either love something or you dont. its just the people who dont, are very vocal here in spain. im lucky in that i take my work less serieously then others and so these comments mske me smile as i guess im causing a reaction.

but its teachs me a lot. and im lucky that dance is still a passion here and i collaborate or work with some amazing people with very good intentions and are open to new ideas and fun stuff!

and im never going to hate on a country which has accepted me...im lucky.