Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet via Telefonica

Internet via Telefonica

Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet via Telefonica

Just for those in the Malaga province who may be wondering what's happening with their ADSL connection today.

I have just been on the phone to Telefonica and was told that they have a massive problem in the Malaga province which their technicians are working on at the moment.

I the process of this phone call I’ve discovered that they have made a very beneficial change to the 1004 number, now after being connected if you want to speak to them in English you press 1 to be put through to an English speaking operator.

I was very impressed with the speed of connection and also the helpfulness of the man I spoke to, a massive improvement on Telefonica’s part.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet via Telefonica

Originally Posted by megmet
Just for those in the Malaga province who may be wondering what's happening with their ADSL connection today.

I have just been on the phone to Telefonica and was told that they have a massive problem in the Malaga province which their technicians are working on at the moment.

I the process of this phone call I’ve discovered that they have made a very beneficial change to the 1004 number, now after being connected if you want to speak to them in English you press 1 to be put through to an English speaking operator.

I was very impressed with the speed of connection and also the helpfulness of the man I spoke to, a massive improvement on Telefonica’s part.
Getting back to how it was then, in 2003 you could do that as well.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Getting back to how it was then, in 2003 you could do that as well.
But now the very first thing you now HEAR is a voice in English telling you to press one to speak to an operator in English....that most certainly is a new feature, at least in this part of Spain.

The Internet in this area is still almost unusable (two days now) they promised me it would be fixed by 6pm but it wasn't....but they didn't say which 6pm though.

Last edited by megmet; Feb 10th 2012 at 4:50 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 5:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

But now the very first thing you now HEAR is a voice in English telling you to press one to speak to an operator in English....that most certainly is a new feature, at least in this part of Spain.

The Internet in this area is still almost unusable (two days now) they promised me it would be fixed by 6pm but it wasn't....but they didn't say which 6pm though.
Here in the UK I'm gettting 35mbps using the new BT Infinity.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Here in the UK I'm gettting 35mbps using the new BT Infinity.
Well here with our rural connection it's only 1mb even when it's working....for the last two days it's been between 38kb and 50kb, it's virtually unusable worse than a dial-up.

For this rubbish speed I'm paying €40 plus line charge every month.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

For this rubbish speed I'm paying €40 plus line charge every month.
They have reduced their basic prices recently. The basic rate for 10mb as a new customer is now €24.90.

Give them a call and moan about it and they will reduce it. I know a number of people who have done that recently.

As I can only have 3mb in the campo I got them to reduce it to €20.40 including all national calls and calls to mobiles. (plus iva and land line of course).
Old Feb 10th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fred James
They have reduced their basic prices recently. The basic rate for 10mb as a new customer is now €24.90.

Give them a call and moan about it and they will reduce it. I know a number of people who have done that recently.

As I can only have 3mb in the campo I got them to reduce it to €20.40 including all national calls and calls to mobiles. (plus iva and land line of course).
I'll give it a try Fred once they sort the problem out....if they ever do!
Today I got one of those women in the call centre who said..."It's nothing to do with me", don't you just luv em?

Our daughter down on the coast got onto them to reduce her charge last year but they wouldn't budge, they wouldn't even let her have Wifi so she moved company....sadly out here I don't have that option.
When I signed up with them over four years ago they promised me 3mb, they were telling lies as it's only possible to get 1mb out here.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give it a try Fred once they sort the problem out....if they ever do!
Today I got one of those women in the call centre who said..."It's nothing to do with me", don't you just luv em?

Our daughter down on the coast got onto them to reduce her charge last year but they wouldn't budge, they wouldn't even let her have Wifi so she moved company....sadly out here I don't have that option.
When I signed up with them over four years ago they promised me 3mb, they were telling lies as it's only possible to get 1mb out here.
I'm 6 kms from the coast and they class me as rural as well. I get less than you, normally around .7 to .8 mb, and I pay the same as someone who gets much more
Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm 6 kms from the coast and they class me as rural as well. I get less than you, normally around .7 to .8 mb, and I pay the same as someone who gets much more
I'm getting....

Download 0.07 mbs
Upload 0.19 mbs

It really is unusable, I get I'm going to have to get used to watching TV until they fix it!
Attached Thumbnails Internet via Telefonica-no-speed-all.png  
Old Feb 13th 2012, 12:13 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

have a Cablesur Jetnet as we cannot have a telephone line in the middle of the town cos the cabling cannot be completed - the plot next door to us is undeveloped so we have no connection to the home of the abogado next door.
good reception/transmission, no loss of signal, can see the mast from the house

getting 3.5mb down and 0.5mb up
Old Feb 13th 2012, 2:37 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

According to some here, this doesn't ever happen, and is against the law, and therefore it must be assumed your tests are simply wrong. You're getting full speed. You just don't realise it.

In our entire history with Telefonica, we have only been able to get .6Mb or less download speed (we were previously stuck with a very expensive 4Mb contract for a whole year despite this pathetic speed), and it never works when it rains, yet we still have to pay €52 per month 1Mb base rate regardless of whether we receive the service or not. On one occasion, it was out for 6 weeks, which of course we still had to pay for. But according to some, I am also just making this up.

We are now installing a (wireless) WiMax system which guarantees full 4Mb download speed for €30 per month. But we'll have to spend €250 one-time for the equipment and installation. We'll see how that goes...
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by amideislas
According to some here, this doesn't ever happen, and is against the law, and therefore it must be assumed your tests are simply wrong. You're getting full speed. You just don't realise it.

On one occasion, it was out for 6 weeks, which of course we still had to pay for. But according to some, I am also just making this up.
No you're not making it up!

I am now on day five, I've spoken to Telefonica on three of those days and been lied to!

I spoke to the tech department today on 1002, the man there said they don't speak to customers in English and I would have to call 1002....the number I was calling him on.
When I told him that was the number I was talking to him on (in English) he said they don't speak to customers on the Tech line in English and that I would have to get a translator and call 1002...."have a nice day Bye"....

So I called 1004, I tell the nice lady there about the problems I'm having and that they have also been fobbing me off with a story of a major fault in our area... which is not true.....
Nice lady says I can have 3mbs for 24€ a month instead of the 40€ I pay now, and they will send me the new router (I asked for last week) within seven days.

Now I think I've done very well over the last five days not to throw my dummy out of the pram, I'll wait for the seven days but....if it's not fixed by then I'm changing company for my Internet, even if it has to be a radio connection!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=megmet;9899834]No you're not making it up![QUOTE]

The problem was amideislas was suggesting the level of service she receives applies to everyone

I am also in Málaga province and have only had the internet down for 3 hours in the past 3 years - and get the full 10MB I'm contracted for, from Telefonica

When I reported the problem, Telefonica came straight out and solved it within a few hours

That's not to say that other people dont have problems - and I'm sure it is much worse in the country than in or close to the towns/cities

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 13th 2012 at 5:26 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:33 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricketman;9899846][QUOTE=megmet;9899834]No you're not making it up!

The problem was amideislas was suggesting the level of service she receives applies to everyone

I am also in Málaga province and have only had the internet down for 3 hours in the past 3 years - and get the full 10MB I'm contracted for, from Telefonica

When I reported the problem, Telefonica came straight out and solved it within a few hours

That's not to say that other people dont have problems - and I'm sure it is much worse in the country than in or close to the towns/cities
Funnily enough, we've just changed to O2 here in London,, because the internet service provided by BT was rubbish, and cut out at regular intervals. It was a complete waste of time trying to get Youtube or the tele channels. Talking to others in the vicinity this is not unusual. It does feel strange that the service was so bad in a big city like London. Even stranger that O2 (owned by Telefonica) can provide such a better service at a lower cost, yet they use the same phone lines.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=cricketman;9899846]
No you're not making it up!

QUOTE]

Your not wrong there!

Initially four years ago I was promised 3mbs for 40€ plus iva and line charge on my rural connection....they lied then too as it's 1mb.
For the next seven days I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not for a moment expecting to get the 3mbs that the 'nice lady' told me today that I will now get.

Until or unless they send the new router or fix the problem if that's not what it is, I'm only getting 29 kbs... which is struggling to even cope with opening my emails.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.