Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Insuring my stuff in Spain

Insuring my stuff in Spain

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insuring my stuff in Spain

I wish that were so but we recently discovered that if you move abroad before retirement age then they take 5 years off you when you get to retirement aqge, so in effect if you do this you will need 35 years to get a full pension.

Of course they never told me this, and I have 34 years! That gives me something like a 78% pension

Originally Posted by missile
If you think you will have paid sufficient NHI contributions during your career to gain full pension (I believe this is 30 years for a 40 year old male), there is no point in making voluntary contributions.
As a.n.other poster has suggested a UK insurer may cover your possessions whilst overseas, but I think this could be expensive. I too have annual travel insurance but please check the small print as many have restrictions re the duration of your "holiday".
It is all about risk and your own situation. Insurance is not compulsory, it would be horrendously expensive to insure oneself against all of lifes unfortunate events.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

emsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Helpful-Bob
Try gap year insurance such as Endsleigh...it may cover your needs

http://www.endsleigh.co.uk/gap-year-insurance.html
Aha, interesting, thanks. Though I notice that the list of occupations you are allowed to take up under it doesn't cover what I'll be doing. It mentions it but says it has to be organised by a UK company, which it won't be! But that's a great link and I will be giving them a call. I didn't try Googling "gap year insurance".

Thanks Bob - lived up to your username!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:25 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I wish that were so but we recently discovered that if you move abroad before retirement age then they take 5 years off you when you get to retirement aqge, so in effect if you do this you will need 35 years to get a full pension.

Of course they never told me this, and I have 34 years! That gives me something like a 78% pension
Actually, they don't take 5 years off your record, they just do not give you the 5 years of free credits that you might need if you retired early.

Normally the clock starts at 16 and by 60 you should have the requisite 44 years - if not you get up to 5 years credits. Why on earth you don't get them just because you live abroad is beyond me! I had to pay 11 years voluntary contributions to get a full pension.

It's all changing next year when you only need 30 years for a full pension.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Actually, they don't take 5 years off your record, they just do not give you the 5 years of free credits that you might need if you retired early.

Normally the clock starts at 16 and by 60 you should have the requisite 44 years - if not you get up to 5 years credits. Why on earth you don't get them just because you live abroad is beyond me! I had to pay 11 years voluntary contributions to get a full pension.

It's all changing next year when you only need 30 years for a full pension.
This is where it does get confused for me ...... I'm told I do need just 30 years, but I'm also told I will only get 78% pension because of the 5 years .... anyway we digress
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:26 am
Keep smiling

Helpful-Bob will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by emsr2d2
Aha, interesting, thanks. Though I notice that the list of occupations you are allowed to take up under it doesn't cover what I'll be doing. It mentions it but says it has to be organised by a UK company, which it won't be! But that's a great link and I will be giving them a call. I didn't try Googling "gap year insurance".

Thanks Bob - lived up to your username!
You're welcome...I had a late gap year at nearly 50 and thats how I got insured.
I'v just remembered that I used Crispin Spears, but I'm not sure if they are still active.

Last edited by Helpful-Bob; Feb 23rd 2009 at 7:30 am. Reason: extra info
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:02 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Please note, my comment was aimed at the OP who intends to take a gap year in spain. Hence even if you were right, there is still no point in him paying voluntary contribution.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:20 pm
Senior Moment

Please note, my comment was aimed at the OP who intends to take a gap year in spain. Hence even if you were right, there is still no point in him paying voluntary contribution.
I know that ... I was commenting on my own lamentable situation
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:04 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I know that ... I was commenting on my own lamentable situation
It could be a lot worse, we are too old to die young
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:20 pm
Senior Moment

It could be a lot worse, we are too old to die young
I guess
It will get better
It will get better
It will get better
It will get better
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:54 pm
Started off with nothing

My FIL saved all his working life for his pension plan and died before he got any of the benefits.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:46 pm
Senior Moment

My FIL saved all his working life for his pension plan and died before he got any of the benefits.
You're right ..... it could be worse