Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Insuring a Gibraltar Registered Car, in Spain.

Insuring a Gibraltar Registered Car, in Spain.

Old Nov 30th 2021, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insuring a Gibraltar Registered Car, in Spain.

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I have legally driven a Gib registered vehicle in the UK
I didn't say it was illegal to drive a Gib registered vehicle in the UK, I said it was illegal for a UK resident (like the OP) to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
I didn't say it was illegal to drive a Gib registered vehicle in the UK, I said it was illegal for a UK resident (like the OP) to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK.
What Matthew has not indicated is where he is normally resident, but there I am probably nitpicking.

I like Matthew am in the UK but this is not my country of residence

Therefore if the car has an up to date MOT I could possibly insure and drive it.

But unless Matthew has residency in Gib he still would not be able to drive it in Spain.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

What a mess !

I guess they didn't provide you with any evidence that the HMRC was paid or it was declared as a temporary import when the car was brought into the UK ?

Your best course of action will depend not just on this but also the value of the car, when you bought the car, if you can contact the previous owner, if you are going to declare residency when you move to Spain, if you intended to move by driving the car to Spain etc etc.

If you can provide some more details it would be a great help.

Best
Loco

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by MatthewT
Hi Loco, no I haven't been able to register it in my name in Gib as I don't have a Gib address. The current registered owner is no longer a Gib resident.
Old Dec 1st 2021, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that the OP has got the visa situation sorted as he has managed to get into a muddle with a car if he has got into a muddle with a visa that could have far reaching consequences
Old Dec 1st 2021, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
I assume that the OP has got the visa situation sorted as he has managed to
get into a muddle with a car if he has got into a muddle with a visa that could have far reaching consequences
Thats a pretty catty remark and uncalled for.......
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

No it was not "catty" it is just pointing out that if the OP has not got a Visa then he/she will have serious problems when they rock up in Spain which could result in large fines and/or a ban from entering the Schengen area As I understand it the Spanish authorities are not exactly being sympathetic to Brits who have not done the right thing.There is plenty of info out there about re registering cars and getting a Visa and some research and/or asking on a forum before leaping into a situation such as this will mean a stress free move
I have explained how the OP can try and resolve the car situation which is doable and the last thing I would want is for them to sell up in the UK move over and suddenly find they have to go back to the UK with nowhere to live
A friend tells you what you need to hear NOT what you want to hear
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
No it was not "catty" it is just pointing out that if the OP has not got a Visa then he/she will have serious problems when they rock up in Spain which could result in large fines and/or a ban from entering the Schengen area As I understand it the Spanish authorities are not exactly being sympathetic to Brits who have not done the right thing.There is plenty of info out there about re registering cars and getting a Visa and some research and/or asking on a forum before leaping into a situation such as this will mean a stress free move
I have explained how the OP can try and resolve the car situation which is doable and the last thing I would want is for them to sell up in the UK move over and suddenly find they have to go back to the UK with nowhere to live
A friend tells you what you need to hear NOT what you want to hear
I don't recall the OP asking anything about a visa.....