Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Insurance question

Insurance question

Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:54 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance question

I need to insure a ciclomoto (moped/scooter) for my son to drive but am hitting a brick wall ()

The issue seems to be that very few, if any, will insure a 15 year old.

I have contacted a few companies and had the following responses;
  • Linea Directa only insure vehicles for over 26's to drive
  • Mapfre (like many others) won't insure under 21's
  • Liberty Seguros suggest (like Mapfre) that I insure in my name only
The general suggestion made by a few insurance companies and subsequently confirmed by some parents is that, in Spain, one insures the vehicle in the parents name and the child simply drives it!!!

When I was told this by Mapfre, I pointed out the clause in the insurance showing that it was invalid for under 21's (or 25's can't remember) and so my son would be driving uninsured and was told that this was normal - the police don't care.

I was further told that they still paid out anyway and all the police wanted was for the vehicle to be insured.

Has anyone actually got insurance for their child? or can anyone suggest a company that I may not have tried?

Thanks
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance question

Can't help with anything other than a company name: Generalli. Good cover for my car. Good luck with the moto.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I need to insure a ciclomoto (moped/scooter) for my son to drive but am hitting a brick wall ()

The issue seems to be that very few, if any, will insure a 15 year old.

I have contacted a few companies and had the following responses;
  • Linea Directa only insure vehicles for over 26's to drive
  • Mapfre (like many others) won't insure under 21's
  • Liberty Seguros suggest (like Mapfre) that I insure in my name only
The general suggestion made by a few insurance companies and subsequently confirmed by some parents is that, in Spain, one insures the vehicle in the parents name and the child simply drives it!!!

When I was told this by Mapfre, I pointed out the clause in the insurance showing that it was invalid for under 21's (or 25's can't remember) and so my son would be driving uninsured and was told that this was normal - the police don't care.

I was further told that they still paid out anyway and all the police wanted was for the vehicle to be insured.

Has anyone actually got insurance for their child? or can anyone suggest a company that I may not have tried?

Thanks
You are right, most parents do the insurance on their behalf and that all the GC are interested in is that the vehicle has insurance.
Whether the insurace would pay out in a claim is a different matter.
BTW hasn't the law changed on the age limit to ride a scooter, is 15 still legal or is it down to engine size/type of moto?

Last edited by twistedmelon; Oct 28th 2011 at 11:58 am.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 1:19 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
You are right, most parents do the insurance on their behalf and that all the GC are interested in is that the vehicle has insurance.
Whether the insurace would pay out in a claim is a different matter.
BTW hasn't the law changed on the age limit to ride a scooter, is 15 still legal or is it down to engine size/type of moto?
Yes, it went up from 14 to 15 last year for ciclomoto (moped/scooter up to 50cc). You have to be 16 for up to 125 etc. etc.

Mapfre said they would pay out but I guess, coming from the UK, I'm just over cautious.

I think this is another case of doing what the locals do and not what one would have done back in UK