Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

insurance for motociclo

insurance for motociclo

Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:47 am
Just Joined

javea342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default insurance for motociclo

My 17 year old has a scooter, passed the ciclomotor test and is waiting for the licence to come through.
I thought it was insured but when I have checked the policy it says only for 25year olds and older.
The insurance company have said that all young people have this kind of insurance as it's too expensive to get it in their own name. I have tried loads of companies but can't get cover for a 17year old.
What are other young people doing?
Thanks
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:52 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: insurance for motociclo

Originally Posted by javea342
My 17 year old has a scooter, passed the ciclomotor test and is waiting for the licence to come through.
I thought it was insured but when I have checked the policy it says only for 25year olds and older.
The insurance company have said that all young people have this kind of insurance as it's too expensive to get it in their own name. I have tried loads of companies but can't get cover for a 17year old.
What are other young people doing?
Thanks
Our car was for over 30 year olds, but we had to name two younger drivers and they were covered with an extra excess of about 200€`s if there was an accident with them driving.
See if the ins agent will do this.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:02 am
Just Joined

javea342 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. I've already checked with the company and they don't do that. They say the bike is insured and that is all the police would be interested in. I just wondered what all the other scooter riders are doing for insurance.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:58 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

Doing the same, my son is insured, allegedly, but the policy is in my name. I questioned this and the insurance agent said in case of an accident let us know and we will sort everything. It appears that it works like this over here.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

kayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nice

There is an insurance policy available to cover this situation. You need to have had refusals from 3 companies then you apply to them over the phone. I just wish I could remember the name of it!

Its a government funded type of thing, set up to insure riders who are unable to get cover. My kids were covered by it when they were younger. It is something like "consorcio de seguro". Any gestor who covers vehicules should be able to give you the details.

I would strongly advise against insuring in your name. An insurance company told me it was fine to do this as the police only require that there is insurance in place, but when I asked what would happen in case of an accident ..."well that's a different situation...."!