Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

inspire me with food!

inspire me with food!

Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

hellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant future
Default inspire me with food!

Does anyone have any good tips for new foods I can try in Spain, the kind of things you can buy in eroski or local shops.....??

Been here a few months but I don't seem to have any inspiration when I go shopping and always end up buying the same things

To start off I will say that Eroski sell a baguette called 6 Cereales which is really gorgeous....especially when they are all warm and fresh from the oven, yum!

Would love to hear anyone else's tips though before I end up turning into a baked bean from eating so many....
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

helen17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: inspire me with food!

I presume you have had fresh tuna crusted with black pepper and griddled? Roasted stuffed peppers, gambas pil pil, local fish, the list goes on .....
It is a matter of sourcing local butchers, fish mongers, bakeries and markets for vegetables and asking their advice. Many products grown locally in Spain are seasonal and very good value and taste.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:18 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Look HERE

Last edited by jdr; Sep 17th 2007 at 4:02 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit that we tend to buy pretty much the same items whenever we go shopping - but that's not so different to life in the UK really, is it?

However, I do understand what you mean about sometimes needing inspiration!
Unfortunately for me, I don't eat meat - and neither will I contemplate even trying anything that doesn't look nice!!
I admit I'm rather strange when it comes to food
If I don't like the look of the texture, I couldn't contemplate putting it in my mouth!!
So, for me, that discounts rather a lot of food here!! (No offence meant to Spanish food - just my own weirdness)

However, I've just eaten a very tasty "revuelto" (basically a "scrambled omelette!) which had eggs (obviously! ) mushrooms, peppers, onion, tomato and potato in it.
Just chuck it all in the pan, add the egg mixture and swish it all round a bit until the egg is cooked.

There's a thread on here called "Cooking helpline for Ex-Pats" that you will find loads of recipes and inspiration from, I'm sure.
Just do a search for the thread - there are a fair few pages to read through
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Look HERE
It might just be me Lionda but I can't get that link to work??

Have you been very clever and helpful, and given the link to the Cooking Helpine thread?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:31 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
It might just be me Lionda but I can't get that link to work??

Have you been very clever and helpful, and given the link to the Cooking Helpine thread?
Mmm you're right Sam - it won't work for me Yes it is the link to the cooking thread - can you do it for me - please
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mmm you're right Sam - it won't work for me Yes it is the link to the cooking thread - can you do it for me - please
Well, I'll try................but I'm not very good at this computer lark you know!
Where's Jean when you want her!!?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:34 pm
Popping in for a chat

Well, I'll try................but I'm not very good at this computer lark you know!
Where's Jean when you want her!!?
Swanning around in Spain
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

hellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant future

Thanks for your help, I couldn't get the link to work either but I have found the cooking helpline thread and you are right, there is lots of ideas on there.

Brisca, like you I am fussy too with food and don't eat meat. I have recently started eating fish though and I like tuna and cod....have had a look in the fish counters at the supermarket but it all looks a bit scary!! Would have no idea what to do with a whole fish, head and all.....

The hubby is no help as he will only eat english frozen pizza, frozen english burgers or a baguette with cheese....!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, let's see if this works!?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...lp+for+Ex+Pats

Hmm, well the link seems to work, but I can't remember how to do the HERE thingy!!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Swanning around in Spain
Damn inconsiderate, I say!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:42 pm
Popping in for a chat

Sorry it didn't work - I'll have to get some professional advice to see what I did wrong
Try this - http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Seafood/Fish/Main.aspx
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:44 pm
Popping in for a chat

I tried that one - and it worked
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:45 pm
Popping in for a chat

OK, let's see if this works!?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...lp+for+Ex+Pats

Hmm, well the link seems to work, but I can't remember how to do the HERE thingy!!
You and me both ------come back Jean we need you
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hellokittty
Thanks for your help, I couldn't get the link to work either but I have found the cooking helpline thread and you are right, there is lots of ideas on there.

Brisca, like you I am fussy too with food and don't eat meat. I have recently started eating fish though and I like tuna and cod....have had a look in the fish counters at the supermarket but it all looks a bit scary!! Would have no idea what to do with a whole fish, head and all.....

The hubby is no help as he will only eat english frozen pizza, frozen english burgers or a baguette with cheese....!

Oh, we sound like we're quite alike!
I went out for lunch with 20 Spanish friends on Saturday, and we had this HUMUNGOUS paella.
However - food heathen that I am - I had to pick out absolutely everything, apart from the rice and the eggs!!
My friends were very forgiving of my strange little foibles (especially as they were the beneficiaries of all the "goodies!" )
I do actually like prawns, but as I explained to my friends, they have to be cooked, peeled and ready to eat!
Oh my goodness, there's no way I could even look at them in their shells, with their little eyes staring at me!!
There were even whole baby crabs in this paella, would you believe!
I like my crab in crab stick form!

There's a fish that I recommended to Lionda (have you tried it yet Lionda?) called PANGA.
It's a white fish, with no skin, no bones and a not particularly "fishy" taste!!
It's really nice and takes only a few minutes to grill or fry (although it can be a bit delicate and breaks up easily, if you're not careful)

I'm absolutely with you.............I couldn't entertain eating a fish that had its head or tail on still!!
I won't even eat sardines unless all the bones have been removed, and all that silvery skin taken off!
Here, I eat tuna (I find Eroski's own "atun claro al natural" is by far the nicest), salmon fillets, cod fillets (although they seem expensive?) and panga - and that's it.
I'm afraid some of the offerings on the fish counter leave my stomach churning and my eyes bulging!!
Each to their own and all that, but they're not for me

Incidentally, did you know that most fresh cod needs soaking in water for 24 hours before eating, as it's full of salt!?
I didn't know that, but Spanish neighbours advised me.
I tend to buy frozen cod, so it doesn't seem to be an issue - but it's worth knowing about the fresh stuff.

Crumbs, your hubby sounds worse then mine when it comes to food!
I'm afraid my poor O/H is only given chicken, bacon or ham to eat - as I won't touch or cook any other type of meat.
If he wants a spag bol or anything, he has to cook the mince himself - while I'm out!!
I suppose he deserves a medal really, putting up with me

One last thing; glad you found the cooking helpine thread
That link I put on wasn't much use, because it had all the key words highlighted - which could become a bit annoying!
I noticed there's also another useful thread called "What's your favourite Spanish food". You might like to do a search for that one too?

Happy hunting, cooking and experimenting!
Sam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.