Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

inspection trips

inspection trips

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute
Default inspection trips

Hi again folks,,
I know this one will stir up a hornets nest but what are Inspection Trips. as you know I want to come over and live (rent) and someone mentioned an inspection trip. can you walk me through the process of one, and the pitfalls if any.
Also, how do I go about arranging a trip.
Thanks again.

Jan
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: inspection trips

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
Hi again folks,,
I know this one will stir up a hornets nest but what are Inspection Trips. as you know I want to come over and live (rent) and someone mentioned an inspection trip. can you walk me through the process of one, and the pitfalls if any.
Also, how do I go about arranging a trip.
Thanks again.

Jan
There two types of inspection trip.

The only one to do is to arrange your own travel etc, visit estate agents and get them to take you to places that are available. This way you stay a free agent and are not pressurised into signing on the dotted line.

The other type of inspection trip is a cheap get away arranged by someone who is trying to get you to sign on the dotted line. This would not be appropriate for you as you are intending to rent not buy but my advice is to never, repeat never go on this type of inspection trip because it is run by pressure salesmen/women.

Rosemary
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rosemary, once again I value you advice.
Jan
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

As Rosemary said inspection trips are for buyers only, you could lie I guess. Only a few agents will offer these now. There is no free lunch and you may pay extra on the house price for the privelidge.

During the inspection trip I went on, the agent was very helpful and there was no pressure to buy.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:35 pm
Just moved to Valencia

susanalberti is an unknown quantity at this point

Just been through the process of finding a place to rent in Valencia and hope to sign the agreement shortly. First thing to note is that not all Spanish seem to believe in email enquiries and they will ask you to phone them if you are interested. That's if they reply you. Maybe they don't take the enquiry as serious being from abroad or maybe they are being careful. It's rare for the ads to show exact location too which is a problem if you are looking within a very particular area.

I speak some Spanish and it was still tough, luckily I had help from Spanish friends otherwise I don't think I would have had much luck. A drive around the area meant they found various boards advertising places by rent by the owners which we had not seen advertised on the internet. It appears that this can be cheaper than going through an agency as agency charges are around 1 months rent + VAT at 18%. There are other considerations to look out for, the gastos de comunidad for example. Not always included in the rent, but most usually is.

Looking at places in the flesh is very different than online and some of the houses that looked possibles, for sure we not what we had hoped them to be. The long and short of it is that its essential to get out there and look!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that,, I think I will definately be coming over for a break and look around while I'm there..
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Guardamar4me is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Oddities
my advice is to never, repeat never go on this type of inspection trip because it is run by pressure salesmen/women.

Rosemary
Spot on. These companies (those left) rely solely on commission - if you dont buy, they dont earn. They are not remotely interested in your 'wants/needs', their sole interest is selling you something on their books that pays the highest commission.