Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Info on long stay in spain

Info on long stay in spain

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

smartcar7272 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info on long stay in spain

Hi were retiring next year I will be 65 and Phil 60 we would like to spend the winter in Sept to April in spain.

Can we do that what are the rules please..

We need advice

Regards

Carol&Phil
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info on long stay in spain

You need to stay within 90 days. We do this every winter.
We go early January to the beginning of April. Just make sure you rent a property in a sunny position as it can be very chilly if you don't get some sun and you don't have heating.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go over 90 days you have to register and prove you can pay your rent and have enough money to support yourself. We find it easier going Sept abd Oct back home for Xmas then back again, saves the hassle.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Or rent nearer to Portugal or French end and take a weekend break in one or other as you near 90 days keep receipt for the stay.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 10:52 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother about registering. Tens of thousands of EU foreigners spend over 90 days here in the winter and the Police certainly don't want you clogging up the system by registering and deregistering every year. It's virtually impossible for them to expel you and I have never heard of anyone being fined.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
Don't bother about registering. Tens of thousands of EU foreigners spend over 90 days here in the winter and the Police certainly don't want you clogging up the system by registering and deregistering every year. It's virtually impossible for them to expel you and I have never heard of anyone being fined.
Hi Fred
Thanks so much for the reply you have put my mind at ease,just don't want to do anything illegal,all we want to do is have a long holiday and no more working
Regards
Carol

Last edited by Rosemary; Jul 4th 2017 at 1:08 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jul 4th 2017, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bobd22
Or rent nearer to Portugal or French end and take a weekend break in one or other as you near 90 days keep receipt for the stay.
Thanks so much for the advise

Regards
Carol
Old Jul 4th 2017, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bridie55
You need to stay within 90 days. We do this every winter.
We go early January to the beginning of April. Just make sure you rent a property in a sunny position as it can be very chilly if you don't get some sun and you don't have heating.
Thanks for the advise
Regards
Carol
Old Jul 4th 2017, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smartcar7272
Thanks for the advise
Regards
Carol
Mind you I totally agree with Fred's comment
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:47 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
Old Jul 4th 2017, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

As all above........ If you are really particular, the 90 days HAS to be a continuous period, you can stop and start the 'clock' as regards this aspect. For example 89 days in Spain, one day in Gibraltar or over the border to Portugal / France for a day (keep proof of this if worried!) and on return start the 90 day clock again! Alternatively, 89 days here, return to the UK for a week to catch up and come back for another 90 days.
Personally, I would be more concerned about staying for more than a CUMULATIVE 183 days in Spain in one year Jan to Dec as regards Tax Residency which is a different matter, I would avoid that one if possible. Again, loads of people are here 'under the radar', but the 90 days or any other 'free movement' aspect may well change after Brexit, so one to watch as things develop there. Until the UK are 'out' its 90 days CONTINUOUSLY in Spain for 'residency' matters, 183 CUMULATIVE for tax purposes.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Again some fantastic advice any other advice is very gratefully received
Carol
Old Jul 5th 2017, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lurchio
As all above........ If you are really particular, the 90 days HAS to be a continuous period, you can stop and start the 'clock' as regards this aspect. For example 89 days in Spain, one day in Gibraltar or over the border to Portugal / France for a day (keep proof of this if worried!) and on return start the 90 day clock again! Alternatively, 89 days here, return to the UK for a week to catch up and come back for another 90 days.
Personally, I would be more concerned about staying for more than a CUMULATIVE 183 days in Spain in one year Jan to Dec as regards Tax Residency which is a different matter, I would avoid that one if possible. Again, loads of people are here 'under the radar', but the 90 days or any other 'free movement' aspect may well change after Brexit, so one to watch as things develop there. Until the UK are 'out' its 90 days CONTINUOUSLY in Spain for 'residency' matters, 183 CUMULATIVE for tax purposes.
Good Advice...
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:02 am
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bridie55
Good Advice...
Do remember when you enter spain it is through an open border and again when you leave..the spanish are great at recording every aspect of things that happen.but not entry or exit of their country..nobody knows when you arrive or when you leave unless you deliberately tell them...I have friends from other parts of eu who stay 6.9..12 .18 months very regularly here..they have no padron..nei..just rent their house..then leave..
My best friend has lived in spain for 24years and has not bothered with the paper work..owns car..2houses etc...remember this is spain where maƄana was invented...
I lived here many years before deciding for totally different reasons to get on the paper work treadmill...
Many people on this site love to comply...no need..particularly in your case..it is just not needed
Old Jul 5th 2017, 11:28 am
Just Joined

senp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lurchio
Personally, I would be more concerned about staying for more than a CUMULATIVE 183 days in Spain in one year Jan to Dec as regards Tax Residency which is a different matter, I would avoid that one if possible.
Totally agree with this. If you do so you become, de facto, resident in Spain for tax purposes. It is all very well being under the radar, but things have a habit of catching up later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.