Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is inflation on the turn?

Is inflation on the turn?

Old Aug 24th 2023, 8:06 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is inflation on the turn?

Maybe someone posted this link already but here's a link to the Ministry's of Energy's* website and an Android app which uses the same data. You can find the cheapest petrol stations in an area.

* I shortened the name a bit...
Old Aug 30th 2023, 7:45 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
In that list, these foods are particularly British and are expensive in Spain:
  • Cheddar Cheese (Mature) – 300g
  • Instant Coffee – 200g
  • Tomato Ketchup – 500g
Chedder is more British? I do know that Lidl sell Irish cheddar.
Also Instant coffee and ketchup a British thing?
Images from one of the local Spanish supermarkets near to us.

There are hardly any Brits in this area of Spain.

Old Aug 31st 2023, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Since when was Tomato Ketchup "particularly British", it's available - and used - all over the world and was invented in the US!

I was always a firm 'Heinz or nothing' man but a couple of years ago I tried Mercadonas's own Hacendado brand and now use nothing else.

Some folk really need to get out of the groove they are stuck in
Old Aug 31st 2023, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Chedder is more British? I do know that Lidl sell Irish cheddar.
Also Instant coffee and ketchup a British thing?
Images from one of the local Spanish supermarkets near to us.

There are hardly any Brits in this area of Spain.
You are right and all 3 things are very common across Europe, cheddar is also very popular in Germany and we have Irish cheddar in the Republic of Ireland (not Britain:-)
Old Aug 31st 2023, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Since when was Tomato Ketchup "particularly British", it's available - and used - all over the world and was invented in the US!

I was always a firm 'Heinz or nothing' man but a couple of years ago I tried Mercadonas's own Hacendado brand and now use nothing else.

Some folk really need to get out of the groove they are stuck in
The Spanish seem to love ketchup. I have commented to the wife you see them eating a camperos or similar which usually already has mayo on and they literally squeeze ketchup on with every bite. As for brands like you I prefer some supermarket brands to Heinz these days. That said I am not a huge lover of ketchup or similar sauces. I have a small amount of ketchup with chips sometimes and if I have a pork pie I like a bit of brown sauce or mustard and that is about it for me with sauces.
Old Aug 31st 2023, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I have a small amount of ketchup with chips sometimes and if I have a pork pie I like a bit of brown sauce or mustard and that is about it for me with sauces.
A man of similar tastes to my own, problem is finding that authentic pork pie replete with gobs of gelatin.

Yum yum!
Old Aug 31st 2023, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
A man of similar tastes to my own, problem is finding that authentic pork pie replete with gobs of gelatin.

Yum yum!
Very true it seems most have done away with the gelatine. I originate from the West Riding of Yorkshire, back in the day 60s 70s you couldn't beat the pork pies in the working men's club. Served hot lovely crisp edge to the pie crust served with proper mushy peas and mint sauce. Delicious the gelatine melted and would run down your chin. I can get pork pies now and again in the English shops here but they can't match the pies I grew up with.
Old Sep 2nd 2023, 12:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The gelatine is only added after the pie is cooked. It is added to keep the air out of the gaps in the filling, to extend the shelf life.

They are not difficult to make at home and they can then be seasoned the way you like it.