Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

infant/primary schools in Torremolinos/Arroyo de la Miel?

infant/primary schools in Torremolinos/Arroyo de la Miel?

Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light
Default infant/primary schools in Torremolinos/Arroyo de la Miel?

Hi there, we have recently moved to El Pinillo, Torremolinos. We have a three year old son who had already started school nr Barcelona and loved it (he is already bilingual so no problem there). We have been told that most of the local schools have waiting lists for P3, so I am looking for other options. I have heard that there are nursery/infant schools that take children till the age of 6, this is definitely an option I would consider. I really don't mind what is the main language, as this isn't an issue for us, I just want him to start school and make friends here, and also the harsh facts are that I need to get on and work (I am a translator so moved my work with me, lucky me!). Can anyone recommend something please? It could be in Torremolinos or Arroyo de la Miel, either is convenient for me.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: infant/primary schools in Torremolinos/Arroyo de la Miel?

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Hi there, we have recently moved to El Pinillo, Torremolinos. We have a three year old son who had already started school nr Barcelona and loved it (he is already bilingual so no problem there). We have been told that most of the local schools have waiting lists for P3, so I am looking for other options. I have heard that there are nursery/infant schools that take children till the age of 6, this is definitely an option I would consider. I really don't mind what is the main language, as this isn't an issue for us, I just want him to start school and make friends here, and also the harsh facts are that I need to get on and work (I am a translator so moved my work with me, lucky me!). Can anyone recommend something please? It could be in Torremolinos or Arroyo de la Miel, either is convenient for me.
I'd say get your son on the waiting list of a local school and in the meantime go to a private nursary (waiting time cant be more than a few months surely?).

I thought the goverment had to provide a school place for every 3 year old?

Since you are in El Pinillo there is Sunnyview international school, but I wouldnt recommend it and I think they would start at 4 years old there anyway
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I wouldnt recommend it and I think they would start at 4 years old there anyway
No, they can start at 3
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Why wouldn't you recommend Sunnyview, Cricketman? We are going there on Monday. The private nursery idea is fine in theory, but I don't know of any that take children over the age of 3, any ideas? Thanks! We have put his name down at the state school nearby in the hopes that one of the children leaves due to the crisis (sorry, that sounds so mean-spirited but you know what I mean!).
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn't you recommend Sunnyview, Cricketman? We are going there on Monday. The private nursery idea is fine in theory, but I don't know of any that take children over the age of 3, any ideas? Thanks! We have put his name down at the state school nearby in the hopes that one of the children leaves due to the crisis (sorry, that sounds so mean-spirited but you know what I mean!).
Someone in the family went there. Him and all his friends spent years there, dont speak Spanish, know nothing about Spain and on top of that got pretty bad UK qualifications

Sorry to put a downer on it
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:42 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Someone in the family went there. Him and all his friends spent years there, dont speak Spanish, know nothing about Spain and on top of that got pretty bad UK qualifications

Sorry to put a downer on it
Just to balance it out, I have a friend who's two daughters go there and have done for many years. They are both fluent Spanish and are doing really well!

Sunlands in Cartama is better tho - thats where my son goes LOL - interestingly his Spanish is better than my daughters who goes to state school!!!

Jo xxx
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Expat_Family is an unknown quantity at this point

We just moved from Alicante to Benalmadena Pueblo a couple of month ago.

We have a 5 year old son who wasn't in a nursery before, so we wanted to let him start slowly, and to let him learn Spanish/English before going to a Spanish or International school.

For that reason we looked for a small, nice private nursery school a we luckily found "CostaKinderCare" in Benalmadena Pueblo.
They do accept children up to the age of 6 (and actually there are quiet a lot of kids in ALL age groups - from 0-6!)

We couldn't be happier with them. It's a really wonderful nursery school, and he's doing very well there.

They have either a bilingual teacher per class, or 2 teachers (1 Spanish native teacher plus 1 English native teacher). In his class he has 2 teachers for 14 kids. You could choose half days with/without lunch, or full days.

If you have a car to drive to Benalmadena Pueblo I would really recommend them. We do live in the Pueblo itself, and after visiting them the first time for us it was no question at all anymore.

If you have any other questions just let me know...
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Expat_Family
We just moved from Alicante to Benalmadena Pueblo a couple of month ago.

We have a 5 year old son who wasn't in a nursery before, so we wanted to let him start slowly, and to let him learn Spanish/English before going to a Spanish or International school.

For that reason we looked for a small, nice private nursery school a we luckily found "CostaKinderCare" in Benalmadena Pueblo.
They do accept children up to the age of 6 (and actually there are quiet a lot of kids in ALL age groups - from 0-6!)

We couldn't be happier with them. It's a really wonderful nursery school, and he's doing very well there.

They have either a bilingual teacher per class, or 2 teachers (1 Spanish native teacher plus 1 English native teacher). In his class he has 2 teachers for 14 kids. You could choose half days with/without lunch, or full days.

If you have a car to drive to Benalmadena Pueblo I would really recommend them. We do live in the Pueblo itself, and after visiting them the first time for us it was no question at all anymore.

If you have any other questions just let me know...

Hi Expat_family. I'm glad you've found a nursery that works for you.

I just want to add, that I live next to the state nursery in Benalmadena Pueblo - I kind of look over it

The kids are very happy there, have lots of toys and have loads of space to run around and play. The teachers are also very kind and loving. Plus they speak 100% Spanish which can only be a bonus for children that speak English at home. I know people with children around this area and they all seem to rule out the state nurseries and I dont know why.

If we have kids in a few years, I'd definitely send mind to a state nursery, if they are like the one we live next to.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Expat_Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Expat_family. I'm glad you've found a nursery that works for you.

I just want to add, that I live next to the state nursery in Benalmadena Pueblo - I kind of look over it

The kids are very happy there, have lots of toys and have loads of space to run around and play. The teachers are also very kind and loving. Plus they speak 100% Spanish which can only be a bonus for children that speak English at home. I know people with children around this area and they all seem to rule out the state nurseries and I dont know why.

If we have kids in a few years, I'd definitely send mind to a state nursery, if they are like the one we live next to.

Hey, Great. We are almost neighbors!
We live straight in the old town center of the Pueblo

You are right. We would definitely do so too, IF we were British.

As we are Germans and we speak German at home, we want our son learn and speak well both, good Spanish and good English, but the English language education in the local state schools isn't really good.

That's was the individual reason for us why we chose to go the way of "International Education".
(CostaKinderCare teachers are either native Spanish or bi-lingual speaking, so they are teaching perfect spanish and perfect English.)
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Expat_Family
Hey, Great. We are almost neighbors!
We live straight in the old town center of the Pueblo

You are right. We would definitely do so too, IF we were British.

As we are Germans and we speak German at home, we want our son learn and speak well both, good Spanish and good English, but the English language education in the local state schools isn't really good.

That's was the individual reason for us why we chose to go the way of "International Education".
(CostaKinderCare teachers are either native Spanish or bi-lingual speaking, so they are teaching perfect spanish and perfect English.)
Yes that complicates things

Sounds like you've done the right thing..
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are going to send him to Los Peques in Arroyo de la Miel, it looks lovely and he can stay until he is 6 (obviously then comes the problem with schools but we'll cross that bridge...). I like the idea of a nursery school for him instead of "school". He has already spent three months at "proper" school near Barcelona, which was not a bad experience by any means but I like the idea of this kind of place so much more, more like the British style, he can concentrate on learning but having fun too without the rigidness of a school. It seems to turn them into little adults so young, and the days are so long, bless. Thanks for the comments, I liked the look of Costakindercare but it's too far for me to travel. Anyone go to Los Peques? It would be nice to make a friend! He's going to go in the afternoons to start with.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

KatieLou1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi SaritaBarcelona,

Is Los Peques a private or public nursery?? Is it very expensive?

Thanks!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are delighted with Los Peques, it is just what we wanted for our son. It is private but I believe that up to 3 years old there is a way of sending them there and paying very little, depending on family income. We pay 225 euros a month for afternoons, and I think it is the same price for the morning session. Personally I think it worth every penny, and our little boy is soooo happy there and learning loads whilst having fun. Send me a private message if you like. Do you live here now? We still haven't met many people in the area yet so would be pleased to find playmates for our 3 year old.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

KatieLou1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we live inland just past Antequera on the road to Sevilla but are looking to move to Torremolinos area at the end of the year. My baby hasn't been been born yet...........due in July but am sussing out areas and nurserys, schools etc so that my child/ren will have plenty of activies on offer.

Do you live in El Pinillo? What's the area like?

x
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katie Lou, feel free to call me if you would like to chat some day, I can send you my number via a private message. We moved to El Pinillo from Barcelona and are enjoying the change! The neighbourhood itself is a fairly quiet, residential area with all the facilities you could ask for within walking distance. If I walk 15 minutes one way I get Arroyo de la Miel, down the hill the beach and Puerto Marina, and the other way is the centre of Torremolinos, great sports facilities with baby swimming I believe!, shopping centres, gorgeous parks, nurseries, schools (public and private)... There are also good bus services and El Pinillo has its own railway station on the Málaga-Fuengirola line (also stops at the airport) so very convenient. Property prices are quite reasonable too in the area (well, at least compared to Barcelona!). I have been very surprised at how nice and "normal" the area is. There are mainly Spanish people living nearby, so I feel like I really am in Spain. I speak Spanish but if you don't it is quite a good area as you will not be in an exclusively English environment which will be good for learning. Let me know if you fancy a chat! Good luck with the baby and let me know if you move here, I would be pleased to be a point of contact for you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.