Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Income Tax is much higher than in the UK

Income Tax is much higher than in the UK

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Spain Bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income Tax is much higher than in the UK

I know I shouldn't have been, but I was horrified by the amount of income tax I have had to pay as a resident! Be aware. Spain is not as cheap as you might think, and I don't think this point is pushed home enough.

You have to declare ALL your income, pensions paid from ex-employers in the UK, State pension from the UK, also, if you have them, income from any savings, ISA's, Tessa's. The lot!

They are ALL taxed at the Spanish Rate which is a lot higher than the UK rate (ISA's and Tessa's aren't taxed at all in the UK so there's a huge difference to start with.)
Then they subtract the tax you have already paid in the UK from what they want in Spain, and you pay the difference. And what a difference!

Obviously all this depends on your own circumstances. But work it out. It's not hard.
My understanding of the Allowances for 2005:
Tax Free: Spain -the first 3400 euros. UK-the first 4895 POUNDS
After that: Spain first 4000 euros taxed at 15%. UK first 2090 POUNDS at 10%
Then: Spain next 9800 euros taxed at 24%. UK next £30,000 (approx) at 22%
Then: Spain next 12000 euros at 28%
Then: Spain next 19000 euros approx taxed at 37%

Let's say you earn 10000 pounds pension a year. Say that's 14400 euros.
In UK you will have paid £872.30 (say that's 1256€) in tax.
In Spain you will be charged 2280 euros in tax.
That works out as YOU HAVE TO PAY 1024 euros to the Spanish taxman!

Imagine what is is if you earn more.

I suppose it's not in the interest of some groups to be very up front about this, but be warned. Work it out. And all this about "...you don't have to declare this or that..." Really? Who says?

Bottom line is I'd still rather live here though!
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income Tax is much higher than in the UK

Originally Posted by Spain Bound
Bottom line is I'd still rather live here though!
That says it all really.

Yes, income tax in Spain can be higher than the UK - it depends on your circumstances, but other taxes are lower such as the equivalent of council tax and water rates, car tax etc.

There are also some tax breaks in Spain that are not available in the UK. Personal annuities are hardly taxed at all and there is mortgage relief for the whole (capital + interest) payment which can be worth over 4000 euros for a couple who both have income.

Duty on booze and tobacco is very much lower and even VAT is marginally lower. It just depends on what you spend your money on.

Taking into account the lower cost of living, then living in Spain on an average UK pension, even paying the higher Spanish income tax, you can have a much higher standard of living that you would in the UK on the same income - that's why there are so many retired Brits in Spain.

As you said - I'd rather live here (and pay the tax!)

Fred
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 5:24 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

From a wage slave point of view taxes are at similar levels to Northern Europe, and a bit lower than the Scandinavian counties.

I remember reading somewhere that certain pensions were tax free when received by a resident of Spain. Unfortuanately as I'm a few years away from that part of my life I didn't really pay attention to it.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
From a wage slave point of view taxes are at similar levels to Northern Europe, and a bit lower than the Scandinavian counties.

I remember reading somewhere that certain pensions were tax free when received by a resident of Spain. Unfortuanately as I'm a few years away from that part of my life I didn't really pay attention to it.
I wonder if you are thinking of (UK) government pensions, eg if you were a civil servant. I understand they are exempt.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 9:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if you are thinking of (UK) government pensions, eg if you were a civil servant. I understand they are exempt.

Yes A civil service pension is tax paid UK, not taxed in Spain.

I worked out my taxes and if you have a good gestor you can learn the angles. Theres not a massive difference, and when you take into consideration I won't be paying £1600 a year council tax and £300 a year water rates ...............
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 12:25 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

I don´t know if its true or not, but someone told me that you can deduct certain things from your income (such as mortgage repayments) before you are taxed on it, thereby significantly reducing the amount of income tax you pay.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:45 am
Just Joined

merlino is an unknown quantity at this point

From next year when I move out to Spain ( Oliva ), the annual personal tax allowances are due to rise significantly as shown in this article from expatica :-

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...efit+families+

Phil
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes A civil service pension is tax paid UK, not taxed in Spain.

I worked out my taxes and if you have a good gestor you can learn the angles. Theres not a massive difference, and when you take into consideration I won't be paying £1600 a year council tax and £300 a year water rates ...............
Hi Mitzyboy,
Yes you are quite right we do save a lot on council tax, water rates, petrol and so on. No question about that. I was concerned though that there are people who (like me) should already know, but don't, that the income tax is a lot higher here than in the UK. I don't have a civil service pension, nor a mortgage (I know you can get tax relief on a mortgage.) But I'd love to know what other angles there are... I thought I had a good gestor but he didn't come up with any. I'll be trying another, but do you have any advice?
Old Jul 4th 2006, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

Originally Posted by keithwalters
I don´t know if its true or not, but someone told me that you can deduct certain things from your income (such as mortgage repayments) before you are taxed on it, thereby significantly reducing the amount of income tax you pay.

Yes you can - We do it on our rent - It is called "salary sacrifice" - So our rent is deducted directly from my Husband's salary and then he pays tax on what's left. It is a brilliant benefit and you can do the same thing with a mortgage - similar to the old tax relief system in England - ah the good old days!!
Old Jul 4th 2006, 3:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlino
From next year when I move out to Spain ( Oliva ), the annual personal tax allowances are due to rise significantly as shown in this article from expatica :-

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...efit+families+

Phil
Well thats good I can certainly arrange for my income to be less than 9000 euros

Where are you settling in Oliva Phil? I'm at Tossal Gros in the hills
Old Jul 4th 2006, 3:32 pm
Senior Moment

Hi Mitzyboy,
Yes you are quite right we do save a lot on council tax, water rates, petrol and so on. No question about that. I was concerned though that there are people who (like me) should already know, but don't, that the income tax is a lot higher here than in the UK. I don't have a civil service pension, nor a mortgage (I know you can get tax relief on a mortgage.) But I'd love to know what other angles there are... I thought I had a good gestor but he didn't come up with any. I'll be trying another, but do you have any advice?
Where abouts are you settling Spain Bound?
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Does this also apply to a Local Government pension as well as civil service? Strictly speaking they are not quite the same although most people consider them to be.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Where abouts are you settling Spain Bound?
Already there! In Quesada, near Torrevieja. But I don't pay rent, so I'm still looking for an angle to reduce my tax!
Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
Does this also apply to a Local Government pension as well as civil service? Strictly speaking they are not quite the same although most people consider them to be.
If the signature on the cheque is Paymaster General its a Crown pension. If its the local authority it isnt.

Fred
Old Jul 4th 2006, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Income Tax is much higher than in the UK

Hi Gray C,

Yes the LG pension is a fully funded contributory pension but good news for you it is taxed at source in UK and you cannot get it paid untaxed in Spain.

It is therefore not considered by the Spanish Tax-man even though if it was it would push you into a higher tax bracket and bring more income to the Hacienda. See Blevins Franks "Living in Spain" para 4.8 page 49

Regards,

John.
Originally Posted by Gray C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.