Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Importing a UK registered Motorcycle

Importing a UK registered Motorcycle

Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Impish will become famous soon enoughMr Impish will become famous soon enough
Default Importing a UK registered Motorcycle

[F]Will I need to change anything on the bike to get it registered in Spain?
Will I need to do anything to it to get the ITV?
I’m thinking the speedo might be a problem, it shows MPH in big numbers and KPH in small, am I right in thinking this will cause a problem?
Any advice from anyone on this and anything to look out for in the registration process much appreciated!
Regards
Mr I[/FONT]
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a UK registered Motorcycle

Headlight for sure ,speedos that show both are not usually a problem, what bike do you have? Is it a grey import?
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:05 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Many modern bikes do not need any modification . The speedo with small kph is acceptable. The headlight will probably dip down i.e. not to the left like a car. You can easily check your own headlight at night.

You can diy, but I would check your local free paper for adverts from those who will arrange registration for you.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Many modern bikes do not need any modification . The speedo with small kph is acceptable. The headlight will probably dip down i.e. not to the left like a car. You can easily check your own headlight at night.

You can diy, but I would check your local free paper for adverts from those who will arrange registration for you.

Headlights do dip left or right since about 1940! Whether the ITV check this I dont know ,headlights on big modern bikes can very very expensive.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:09 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I was not born in 1940

If OP would like to PM me details of his bike, I shall be pleased to confirm if his headlight unit needs replcement. I can check price for the part(s) required and advise a reliable service for bike re-registration in Alicante.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

I was not born in 1940

If OP would like to PM me details of his bike, I shall be pleased to confirm if his headlight unit needs replcement. I can check price for the part(s) required and advise a reliable service for bike re-registration in Alicante.
It will , I used to import bikes into the UK ,headlamp replacement was the biggest expense for UK registration.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:44 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Rotor
It will , I used to import bikes into the UK ,headlamp replacement was the biggest expense for UK registration.
Was that in 1940? Things change dude
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Was that in 1940? Things change dude
1990 til around 00 , over 2000 new bikes
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:36 am
Started off with nothing

From my own rather more limited experience, not all cars / bikes require replacement headlights.

However, I do not want to argue, just offering to help a fellow biker. Sorry for my sarcastic reply.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

From my own rather more limited experience, not all cars / bikes require replacement headlights.

However, I do not want to argue, just offering to help a fellow biker. Sorry for my sarcastic reply.

Accepted, you usually find that the only type that can be adjusted for both LHD & RHD are xenon type , not so common on bikes .
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:31 pm
Started off with nothing

For your info, as copied from a re-registration company website >
If your vehicle is right-hand drive, then your lights are designed to point towards the left hand kerb, these are not acceptable in Spain, so headlights designed to point to the right are obligatory. This applies to all vehicle types including motorcycles, however with bikes, although the ITV station will often accept a “flat-lined” headlight, there is no guarantee that they will do so Some cars (though very few) can be adjusted in order to comply with the regulations
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I believe any motorcycle since 2000 and has clear headlamp lens dip neutrally, ie neither to the left or to the right. Missile, if thats your sportbike in the avatar you should know that.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:10 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

The VFR 800i 98-2001 had a flat beam (neither left or right) and the VFR V-Tec 2002 on does dip.

Just one example, but whatever bike there are a lot of parallel imports into the Uk that need a new light, so check for an item on E-Bay.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:56 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
I believe any motorcycle since 2000 and has clear headlamp lens dip neutrally, ie neither to the left or to the right. Missile, if thats your sportbike in the avatar you should know that.
I took my SP1 round the TT circuit, but it took me a little longer than Joey Dunlop. Please read my post # 3

Last edited by missile; Sep 21st 2010 at 7:58 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Impish will become famous soon enoughMr Impish will become famous soon enough

I was not born in 1940

Thanks for all your replies, sorry i don't get on here as often as i would like.

Bike is a 2003 GSF 600S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.