Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Importing a Motorhome into Spain

Importing a Motorhome into Spain

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Hashers2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a Motorhome into Spain

We are looking to import and register our Motorhome in Spain. For all sorts of reasons it suits us better to keep our current Motorhome rather than buy a left hand drive in Spain.
I understand that importing RHD cars is possible although the Spanish authorities aren’t keen and tried to ban all imports of RHD vehicles in 1991 on safety grounds. They were subsequently over ruled by the European Courts following an objection by the Brits. I believe it is now possible to import a RHD vehicle if you are moving to Spain, but this option is not available to Spanish nationals.
We have heard that importing a RHD Motorhome is more difficult and that the Spanish will fail it at the ITV (MOT) on safety grounds as the habitation door opens out into traffic.
Does anyone have any experience of importing a Motorhome or know anyone who does or could point us to a definitive discussion on the topic.
All info would be gratefully received.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 2:27 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a Motorhome into Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 5:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It is generally accepted that it is almost impossible to import a RHD motor home, pickup or van.

They all fail the ITV on the grounds of reduced rearward visibility.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Second Fred on this, unless its a type approved car, they won't ITV or allow a successful technical inspection for matriculation for a RHD motorhome (and lately vans/ small goods vehicles) based on visibility issues literally from all angles!

Bitter experience I'm afraid.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

i was reading the same cant do it i was looking to bring over a van i cant on safty grounds and visibility
Old Jan 5th 2015, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a LHD motorhome in UK at a very good price, and imported it into Italy. Basically RHD has same issues in Italy as Spain; mainly habitation door opening into traffic rather than roadside. Just had to rejig headlight dip and rear light clusters. The actual paperwork to get Italian plates was of course mind boggling. Took me 5 months and about 1500 eurines; wouldn't do it again.
Buena suerte,
'o nonno