Reload this Page >

Importing a 3 mo puppy to Spain

Importing a 3 mo puppy to Spain

Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Sofia11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Importing a 3 mo puppy to Spain

Hello everyone.

I am awaiting a new addition to the family, a puppy this spring. I am getting it from a lady in Poland. I have not imported or brought any pets abroad before, so I have read anything and everything I have come across regarding this. I know that the puppy has to be minimum 3 months old when brought in to the country, which it will be, and it has to be up to date on vaccinations. But what exactly does that mean? As far as I know, some vaccines are not recommended as early as at 3 months old. Can the puppy still be imported to Spain with all the vaccines that is recommended at their age, and then be given the rest at a later time? For example Rabies is not recommended before 16-26 mo, but is required for the dog to enter Spain?

Any experience or knowledge about importing a young puppy is highly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Sofia.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:57 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a 3 mo puppy to Spain

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 19th 2012, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 19th 2012, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Shame you couldnt have taken a puppy here in Spain so many homeless and they are put down usually after 7 days anyway, look at Defra site I have linked to, call them they will give you everything you need, dont forget puppy has to be chipped as well.

Good luck am sure you will get him or her sorted

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pwwm
Shame you couldnt have taken a puppy here in Spain so many homeless and they are put down usually after 7 days anyway, look at Defra site I have linked to, call them they will give you everything you need, dont forget puppy has to be chipped as well.

Good luck am sure you will get him or her sorted

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/
I am well aware of the tragic situation here in Spain, and I have looked at several of my local shelters for a dog that would be suitable for us. The fact that we have a very small space and both me and my husband are very allergic to most dogs, we have to get a dog that we know will be ok for us.

Thank you for the link. I will get in touch with them, as I can not find any information regarding my question. Not sure if they can help though, as it seems they only provide information about animals going to or from the UK.

Does anyone have any information or experience to share with me?
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Shame you couldnt have taken a puppy here in Spain so many homeless and they are put down usually after 7 days anyway,
Absolutely right.

The sale of dogs or cats should be banned in Spain and the same goes for buying one and importing it.

There are thousands of poor animals in Spain desperate to be homed.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Should have known I would not get the help I need in this forum. I have read on here for a while, and see rude and OT comments all over the place. Can you please respect that I have a few needs that can not be met by a rescue dog at this point, and that at least I am not supporting the puppymill business.

Thanks for looking at my post, I think I will move on to a different forum now. There must be someone out there who can help me
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:26 pm
ÂżDĂłnde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sofia11
Should have known I would not get the help I need in this forum. I have read on here for a while, and see rude and OT comments all over the place. Can you please respect that I have a few needs that can not be met by a rescue dog at this point, and that at least I am not supporting the puppymill business.

Thanks for looking at my post, I think I will move on to a different forum now. There must be someone out there who can help me
while I agree that it's a shame you want to import a dog when there are so many here in Spain desperately needing homes, this website should give you the info you need

http://www.mapausa.org/espana/vi_an.htm
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
while I agree that it's a shame you want to import a dog when there are so many here in Spain desperately needing homes, this website should give you the info you need

http://www.mapausa.org/espana/vi_an.htm
Thanks but as mentioned I am bringing the dog from Poland in Europe, not the USA. So this website will not help me.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I have read on here for a while, and see rude and OT comments all over the place.
Possibly, but not on this thread.

There seems to be some consensus among the posters so far that getting a rescue dog in Spain would be preferable to importing one.

I would be interested to know what needs cannot be provided by a rescue dog in Spain.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 19th 2012 at 5:51 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:56 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

There seems to be some consensus among the posters so far that getting a rescue dog in Spain would be preferable to importing one.

I would be interested to know what needs cannot be provided by a rescue dog in Spain.
As far as I know dogs are the same everywhere, food in one end and food out other end....
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

There seems to be some consensus that getting a rescue dog in Spain would be preferable to importing one.

Where I get it from is not the topic of discussion, that`s why these comments are OT. I am sure you can discuss this in a separate thread if you want to. I can not get a dog that will make me sick. Then it will end up in a shelter some day again. I am doing what is the best thing to do. Please read the post before you ask.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I don`t know why my first reply to this post was not published. I am getting quite frustrated with the forum giving me errors and "page not found" each time I try to post something. This would be a matter for the admin to look at.

Thank you for your link. I am bringing the puppy from Poland in Europe, not from the USA, so this page will not be of much help to me unfortunately.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:02 pm

Where I get it from is not the topic of discussion, that`s why these comments are OT. I am sure you can discuss this in a separate thread if you want to. I can not get a dog that will make me sick. Then it will end up in a shelter some day again. I am doing what is the best thing to do. Please read the post before you ask.
You haven't answered my question. Why would a Polish dog be better for your needs than a Spanish rescue dog?

It's a fair question and I am really interested to know the answer.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

You haven't answered my question. Why would a Polish dog be better for your needs than a Spanish rescue dog?

It's a fair question and I am really interested to know the answer.
I answered this before you even asked. I am, and my husband is very allergic to many dogs coats. We need a dog that will not make us sick. We have been to our local shelters, and none of them have any suitable dog for us.

Thank you for being concerned for the poor little 4-legged, but I am too, believe it or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.