Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

import tax for 20 year old car in spain

import tax for 20 year old car in spain

Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

luke mersh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question import tax for 20 year old car in spain

i was wondering if anybody can tell me the cost of importing an english car 20 years old into spain.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: import tax for 20 year old car in spain

Originally Posted by luke mersh
i was wondering if anybody can tell me the cost of importing an english car 20 years old into spain.
Import tax 12% the value
Registration tax 4% the value.
Both worked out by Hacienda
Total cost including changing lights etc will be around the 1200 euro mark depending on the car.

If the car is a bit special then lights might be a problem.

I have done this exercise myself twice once with and once without a 'gestor'.

If you have time, patiance and a smattering of Spanish you can do it yourself and save around 200 euros. If not then this is an expense worth paying.

Good luck if you go ahead.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

i was lead to believe that if you have owned the car for more than 6 months prior to entering spain, you dont pay import tax?

i wonder if someone would clarify that.

....oh and i wonder if anyone know if i am self employed in spain, which i will be, can you claim it, or part of it, against tax?

Last edited by painterhombre; Aug 28th 2009 at 2:35 pm. Reason: forgot
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

luke mersh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: import tax for 20 year old car in spain

Originally Posted by finca steve
Import tax 12% the value
Both worked out by Hacienda
Total cost including changing lights etc will be around the 1200 euro mark depending on the car.

If the car is a bit special then lights might be a problem.

I have done this exercise myself twice once with and once without a 'gestor'.

If you have time, patiance and a smattering of Spanish you can do it yourself and save around 200 euros. If not then this is an expense worth paying.

Good luck if you go ahead.
thanks for that steve,
so if i have owned the car for more than a year and i am fluent in spanish and do all the leg work, what do you reckon the savings will be?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:17 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
i was lead to believe that if you have owned the car for more than 6 months prior to entering spain, you dont pay import tax?

i wonder if someone would clarify that.

....oh and i wonder if anyone know if i am self employed in spain, which i will be, can you claim it, or part of it, against tax?
The other criteria, however, is that you have to do the matriculation within 30 days of signing on the Padron (that is, the FIRST signing on!). I think you may also need lots of additional documentation.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The other criteria, however, is that you have to do the matriculation within 30 days of signing on the Padron (that is, the FIRST signing on!). I think you may also need lots of additional documentation.

yes i thought so, but amanda will be going on the padron, i wont be until the end of the year as i have unfinished busienss to attend to here in the UK. I planned to register the car around the end of december, coinciding with paying the years SUMA in january. If i can get away from the import tax then its cool as a spanish registered LHD BMW will fetch a far higher price in spain on Spanish plates than what i bought it for!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finca steve
Import tax 12% the value
There is no import tax, only the registration tax. If you start the process within 30 days of becoming resident this can be avoided as has already been mentioned.

The registration tax varies from zero to 14.75% depending on the CO2 emmissions and is based on the written down value of the car.

After 12 years all cars are valued at 10% of the current value based on the lists held by Hacienda.

The biggest problem will be getting a certificate of conformity for a 20 year old car and also getting through the ITV.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
There is no import tax, only the registration tax. If you start the process within 30 days of becoming resident this can be avoided as has already been mentioned.

The registration tax varies from zero to 14.75% depending on the CO2 emmissions and is based on the written down value of the car.

After 12 years all cars are valued at 10% of the current value based on the lists held by Hacienda.

The biggest problem will be getting a certificate of conformity for a 20 year old car and also getting through the ITV.
hey fred, can i ask, is there a SUMA rating for classic cars in Spain?? EG, certain cars in the UK get a free tax disc when they are considered "classic". Would the OP's car be old enough for something like that? Just a thought.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:55 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

When I imported my old car we did not have to pay anything..it was just over 40 years old then but the problem was there was no tax listing for it. It is the only one in Spain!
Rules are always being broken are they not?
Good luck with the paper chase it is relatively easy just take plenty of copies of all the "other" bits paperwork you have.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
When I imported my old car we did not have to pay anything..it was just over 40 years old then but the problem was there was no tax listing for it. It is the only one in Spain!
Rules are always being broken are they not?
Good luck with the paper chase it is relatively easy just take plenty of copies of all the "other" bits paperwork you have.
cheers. You have the "only one in spain" ?!!!!!! Blimey, do you mind me asking what it is that you drive?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:26 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

cheers. You have the "only one in spain" ?!!!!!! Blimey, do you mind me asking what it is that you drive?

Austin Westminster..it was my only car when i moved here. but it was bit too much for the wallet, 3 Litre and six cylinders etc etc.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Austin Westminster..it was my only car when i moved here. but it was bit too much for the wallet, 3 Litre and six cylinders etc etc.

cool! Is that one of the ones with a roller Engine?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:12 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

cool! Is that one of the ones with a roller Engine?
No that was the Vanden Plas (sic)

Brian
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by playamonte
No that was the Vanden Plas (sic)

Brian
oh ok, well both cool cars in their time.......
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:22 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

oh ok, well both cool cars in their time.......
No the Citreon DS was cool

Brian
Attached Thumbnails import tax for 20 year old car in spain-citroen-ds.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.