Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Immigration Lawyer? Or DIY

Immigration Lawyer? Or DIY

Old Feb 14th 2020, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

CanadianMomma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Lawyer? Or DIY

We'll be applying for a non-lucrative visa later this spring. Wondering if people used an immigration lawyer or some other sort of consultant to get their paperwork done or if they did it themselves. If you used someone I'd love your referral. If you did it yourself, would love for you to share your tricks and tips.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Lawyer? Or DIY

Originally Posted by CanadianMomma
We'll be applying for a non-lucrative visa later this spring. Wondering if people used an immigration lawyer or some other sort of consultant to get their paperwork done or if they did it themselves. If you used someone I'd love your referral. If you did it yourself, would love for you to share your tricks and tips.
EU Citizens wouldn't need a visa but you are best off talking to your local Spanish consulate:

Canadians, as all citizens of non-European Union (EU) countries, must obtain a visa from a Spanish consulate in their home country if they plan to:
  • Work in Spain;
  • Reside in Spain for more than 90 days or;
  • Study in Spain for more than 90 days.
It is not possible for a non-EU national to enter Spain as a visitor and change his/her status to that of an employee, student or resident from within Spain. Applications for visas must be made in Canada to the Spanish consulate with jurisdiction over one's place of residence.

The documents required for a visa application depend on the reason for coming to Spain and include:
  1. a valid passport
  2. application forms
  3. photos
  4. a medical certificate
  5. a police clearance certificate (issued by the RCMP)
  6. fees

Those applying for a visa to work in Spain will also require:
  7. a pre-contract

students will require:
  8. a letter of acceptance from an approved Spanish educational institution
  9. proof of private health insurance
  10. proof of financial resources for the length of their stay

Canadians requesting the Youth Mobility Agreement between Canada and Spain will also require:
  11. proof of residency in Canada (provincial health card or provincial driver’s licence)
  12. Return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase a return ticket
  13. Proof of financial reliability
  14. Other documents may be requested depending under what category you request the youth mobility visa.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 3:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You are unlikely to find members who are in a similar position as 99% are British and have no need to apply for visas as they are still EU citizens.

That will change of course at the end of this year. Hopefully someone will be able to help but the Spanish embassy will give you advice.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

fawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nice

Originally Posted by CanadianMomma
I wouldn't waste a penny in an immigration lawyer for a straightforward application like this. It's a non practising lawyer who's saying this.

I've seen people spending thousands of pounds in simple immigration applications that anyone can do. All a lawyer will do is quickly check the form for you, as it must be you in person who submits it at the Spanish consulate in Canada.

Only if your application is refused it might be worth to involve a lawyer who's knowledgeable about the appeal process.

Anyway feel free to PM me and I'll to help with any queries you may have.