Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Immigration - emmigration

Immigration - emmigration

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration - emmigration

Last night there was a report on UK TV about the number of immigrants coming to the UK at the moment, 1,500 a week, this was partially 'helped' by the fact that 1,000 people were leaving each week, mainly becoming Expats. No wonder they are complaining about the level of non UK born people in the UK
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:12 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration - emmigration

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Last night there was a report on UK TV about the number of immigrants coming to the UK at the moment, 1,500 a week, this was partially 'helped' by the fact that 1,000 people were leaving each week, mainly becoming Expats. No wonder they are complaining about the level of non UK born people in the UK
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here mikelincs?

The majority of those entering are other Europeans doing the same as we are all doing in Spain - looking for a lifestyle that suits us better.

1500 per week seems quite low - 78,000 per year, the UK has a natural increase of more than 100,000 per year (more births than deaths) so at that rate the foreign-born percentage would actually be going down (currently at around 10%)

I am often surprised that the Spanish don't complain more at the level of non-Spanish born people in parts of Spain. Outside of London I have never seen the sort of foreign-born densities in the UK that certain parts of the Spanish costas seem to have.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 7:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here mikelincs?

The majority of those entering are other Europeans doing the same as we are all doing in Spain - looking for a lifestyle that suits us better.

1500 per week seems quite low - 78,000 per year, the UK has a natural increase of more than 100,000 per year (more births than deaths) so at that rate the foreign-born percentage would actually be going down (currently at around 10%)

I am often surprised that the Spanish don't complain more at the level of non-Spanish born people in parts of Spain. Outside of London I have never seen the sort of foreign-born densities in the UK that certain parts of the Spanish costas seem to have.
Basically it would appear to me, that there are many people in the UK who just don't like the way the UK is going at the moment and just want to get out. As regards to the birth statistics, a lot of them are born to immigrants, who have a much higher birth rate than UK natives, so although they are UK born, they are of other ethnic groups. I think people are beginning to realise that the open door policy that the UK has is to the detriment of the native British, particularly as they powers that be do seem to be falling over themselves not to upset immigrants. Now they have in places banned the wearing of a simple cross, in case it upsets people of other religions, We don't say Happy Christmas, it's now Happy Holidays, because not every one is a Christian, and we mustn't upset those who aren't. Here in Spain, people coming in have to integrate into the society they come into, the government doesn't change the society for the sake of the immigrants
Old Nov 5th 2006, 7:50 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Basically it would appear to me, that there are many people in the UK who just don't like the way the UK is going at the moment and just want to get out. As regards to the birth statistics, a lot of them are born to immigrants, who have a much higher birth rate than UK natives, so although they are UK born, they are of other ethnic groups. I think people are beginning to realise that the open door policy that the UK has is to the detriment of the native British, particularly as they powers that be do seem to be falling over themselves not to upset immigrants. Now they have in places banned the wearing of a simple cross, in case it upsets people of other religions, We don't say Happy Christmas, it's now Happy Holidays, because not every one is a Christian, and we mustn't upset those who aren't. Here in Spain, people coming in have to integrate into the society they come into, the government doesn't change the society for the sake of the immigrants
There are many people in many countries who want to move, some to see something different, some due to weather, some hoping that the grass is greener. Perhaps the reason why so many people want to move to the UK is because it is a great place to live.

I was born & bred in Britain, but I'm not a christian - many of us Brits aren't. I say happy Christmas to people, most people in the UK do, there are no laws against that, contrary to the rantings of the Daily Mail. Not sure where these places are that have banned the wearing of a simple cross.

Immigrants make up less than 10% of the UK so I doubt that "a lot of them are born to immigrants". Many are in the UK for a short time period, to work, earn some money and move back to their original countries at a later stage.

My experience of a lot of the Spanish costas is that there is very little fitting-in - more a case of eggs & bacon, the Brit tabloid papers and around a million Brits, 99% of whom cannot speak a word of Spanish.

I honestly can't see what parts of British society is being made to change due to immigrants moving in - the same things have been said for over 50 years - when the Irish came, west indians, indians & pakistanis, africans etc and yet British society is no worse off and in many ways is far the richer for it.