Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I'm soooo bored.

I'm soooo bored.

Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

andie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really nice
Default I'm soooo bored.

Hello all, my family and I just moved to Alicante 3 weeks ago, my family consists of me 25 year old mother of a 3 month old girl and my 26 year old boyfriend, and I am bored, there doesn't seem to be many english people around, I cant find any mother and baby things to do either. Any suggestions??
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:18 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm soooo bored.

I don’t know if this is helpful, but I noticed from another thread that you’re living in a totally Spanish area and don’t speak the language. You would probably be better off in an English area and if you’re able to relocate, then that may help. You wouldn’t have to move far.

On the other hand, if you’re here for the long term, and learn the language, you won’t be bored because Spanish people of your age certainly know how to enjoy themselves and the opportunities in Alicante City are boundless.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

andie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really niceandie.po is just really nice

Originally Posted by HBG
I don’t know if this is helpful, but I noticed from another thread that you’re living in a totally Spanish area and don’t speak the language. You would probably be better off in an English area and if you’re able to relocate, then that may help. You wouldn’t have to move far.

On the other hand, if you’re here for the long term, and learn the language, you won’t be bored because Spanish people of your age certainly know how to enjoy themselves and the opportunities in Alicante City are boundless.
I will be here for quite a while, the language must be learned but till i get the hang of it i am just kinda wandering around while my fella is in work.

You seem to know Alicante quite well, can u direct me to the english area?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 6:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andie.po
I will be here for quite a while, the language must be learned but till i get the hang of it i am just kinda wandering around while my fella is in work.

You seem to know Alicante quite well, can u direct me to the english area?
There isn’t one, as such, in the city. If you stand at the port and look towards the castle, the area on the right and behind the castle is totally Spanish. Between where you’re standing and El Corte Ingles, where the consulate is, you will find some English people, but their presence isn’t obvious, I can’t think of any obviously English places there.

JLFS, on this forum, lives there and knows it much better than I do.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Do you live in Alicante itself or outside? Start going to a friendly cafe regularly, choose one where you see other mothers congregating and simply say hello and then tell them that you do not speak the language but want to learn, by learning how to say this you will have started to learn the language. Find out where you can have lessons and make sure that you study for a least an hour a day when the baby is sleeping. This will all help to change your focus and lessen the boredom. What are your interests, look for your house of culture to see what is available. Be open to new ideas and do not let your lack of language skills stop you from mixing because it is better to be on the fringe of something than not there at all.

Rosemary
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:13 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Do you live in Alicante itself or outside? Start going to a friendly cafe regularly, choose one where you see other mothers congregating and simply say hello and then tell them that you do not speak the language but want to learn, by learning how to say this you will have started to learn the language. Find out where you can have lessons and make sure that you study for a least an hour a day when the baby is sleeping. This will all help to change your focus and lessen the boredom. What are your interests, look for your house of culture to see what is available. Be open to new ideas and do not let your lack of language skills stop you from mixing because it is better to be on the fringe of something than not there at all.

Rosemary

Yeah, better yet, find someone there who wants to learn English, and do an intercambio with them.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:21 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Also remember that the people here tend to be much friendlier and inclusive rather than stand offish and exclusive. Becoming a regular somewhere will encourage friendships. Did your husband move because of his job or did you move here because he found a job? How about trying to get to know the people that he works with by having a little get together at a restaurant or cafe, some of the other wives may be equally as bored as you are. You have only lived here for a few weeks so I quess some of the boredom is down to missing things from your previous place and spending a lot of time at home with your little one. As you are so new here you have the wonderful experience of getting to know your particular new area and the surrounding area, enjoy.

Rosemary
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

Are you familiar with the forum Mumsinspain Seem to be others in Alicante on that
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andie.po
Hello all, my family and I just moved to Alicante 3 weeks ago, my family consists of me 25 year old mother of a 3 month old girl and my 26 year old boyfriend, and I am bored, there doesn't seem to be many english people around, I cant find any mother and baby things to do either. Any suggestions??
OOH I could use the lives of all the people who are bored and fill them all!
But seriously I do remember being a little bored with very young children.
That won't last long.