Reload this Page >

IHT & Bank 'Bail Ins'?

IHT & Bank 'Bail Ins'?

Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

factseeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IHT & Bank 'Bail Ins'?

Hi,

I am considering buying a property and living in Spain with my wife.

I have spent some years now in self sustaining agriculture in SE Asia and notice some nice little farm properties for sale along the south coast of Spain.

Thing putting my off right now is the IHT situation in Spain - in particular should I die first.

But also the possibilities of a 'hit' ref any future 'bail in' - that in particular because there seems to be particular interest in 'global' assets at the present time.

Has anyone considered the possibility of a Bank 'Bail In' in Spain??

Any thoughts anyone from those already 'in situ'.

Best Rgd.
FS.

Last edited by factseeker; Sep 25th 2013 at 3:46 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:27 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IHT & Bank 'Bail Ins'?

Originally Posted by factseeker
Hi,

I am considering buying a property and living in Spain with my wife.

Thing putting my off right now is the IHT situation in Spain - in particular should I die first.

Best Rgd.
FS.
Hi

As was asked to me by my financial advisor - "Why do you want to own your own home when you are going to die before your children? Do you want to give the taxman your hard-earned cash rather than your children"?

In other words, why not let your children buy a property for you (with your own cash)?

Davexf
Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:59 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

As was asked to me by my financial advisor - "Why do you want to own your own home when you are going to die before your children? Do you want to give the taxman your hard-earned cash rather than your children"?

In other words, why not let your children buy a property for you (with your own cash)?

Davexf
I'd say you have a clever financial adviser. Others might say he's a tax cheat, but I'd argue he's just (perfectly legally) getting the most he can from a greedy tax system that aspires to take the most it can get.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:17 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
I'd say you have a clever financial adviser. Others might say he's a tax cheat, but I'd argue he's just (perfectly legally) getting the most he can from a greedy tax system that aspires to take the most it can get.
Blevins Franks back in 2002 !!!

Davexf
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:32 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Be nice to your kids, they will choose your care home.

I have read too many horror stories of kids who pack the parents off then squander the cash.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Inheritance tax is pure government theft.
It should be abolished the world over.

Capital gains tax on the other hand, crank that one up to 100% less inflation.

Capital gains is unearned income. Money for nothing. Justifiably taxed. Causes speculation and price bubbles.

Inheritance is more likely to be money your parents earned and saved through hard work. What right does a government have to steal it?

Just saying like.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I've nothing against purchasing a property in the children's name, but people do need to be aware of the fact that things can sometimes go awry even if they think it could never happen within their own family. Even if there isn't a serious falling out between a parent and child, if one of the children has an acrimonious divorce and the spouse demands their share of the asset, you could find yourself having to buy out their "share" of your own house. Also, of course, the children would need to submit a non-resident tax return and pay the non-resident tax every year, as they are the nominal owners of the property, and would be liable to pay CGT if they wish to sell the property after your death.

Last edited by Lynn R; Sep 26th 2013 at 7:55 am.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 7:30 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Be nice to your kids, they will choose your care home.

I have read too many horror stories of kids who pack the parents off then squander the cash.
Wow, someone else who uses this quote.

My eldest keeps threatening me with this one - "be kind to me or else ... after all, I'm the one who gets to choose your care home!"
Old Sep 26th 2013, 7:56 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Wow, someone else who uses this quote.

My eldest keeps threatening me with this one - "be kind to me or else ... after all, I'm the one who gets to choose your care home!"
LOL

Unfortunately for a significant number of oldies it is not so funny. On a UK forum, I frequently see heart breaking stories from those who have gifted all their assets to their offspring and are left penniless, with no home and dependent on state hand outs.

Last edited by missile; Sep 26th 2013 at 8:00 am.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 8:26 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates

Capital gains is unearned income. Money for nothing. Justifiably taxed. Causes speculation and price bubbles.

Inheritance is more likely to be money your parents earned and saved through hard work. What right does a government have to steal it?

Just saying like.
... not to mention that it's already been taxed. In some cases, taxed 2 or 3 times by the time the kids inherit it...
Old Sep 26th 2013, 11:29 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hola

Perhaps I should add that I have an usufructo - the right to live in the house for the rest of my days. Therefore should there be an acrimonious divorce, they canĀ“t get me out of the house to sell it BUT they can sell their "quarter?" off

Davexf
Old Sep 26th 2013, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Capital (and consequently the gains or losses made from letting other people use it) is what keeps commerce alive. If everybody just kept their money stashed under the bed, nobody would be able to borrow to start a business or to finance expansion. Nobody would be able to borrow to buy a house and there would be nothing for anybody to inherit.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

A usofructo is no use to a widow who needs all the assets left by her husband to move on with her life, buy somewhere else, downsize, go back to the UK etc
if the children buy or own the property they have all the problems Of taxes maintenance etc.The government should either raise the state allowance to a realistic level, or restructure the inheritance laws so that IHT is only payable on the estate, once the 2 joint owners have died, with a decent threshold, of course.
While IHT, especially in relation to expats, is such a goldmine to the Spanish tax office, I bet they'll do NOTHING!
Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Just saying like.
Yes and of course children work hard to earn all the money they inherit.

If your parents worked hard for it then they can spend it as they wish, or spend it on their children. But spare me the crap about inheritance tax. It's one of the fairest and most meritocratic taxes out there.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 3:25 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Neptuno
A usofructo is no use to a widow who needs all the assets left by her husband to move on with her life, buy somewhere else, downsize, go back to the UK etc
if the children buy or own the property they have all the problems Of taxes maintenance etc.The government should either raise the state allowance to a realistic level, or restructure the inheritance laws so that IHT is only payable on the estate, once the 2 joint owners have died, with a decent threshold, of course.
While IHT, especially in relation to expats, is such a goldmine to the Spanish tax office, I bet they'll do NOTHING!
Firstly I am single; but secondly, in the vast majority of cases, if a widow wants to move back etc., then it is usual for the kids to help

But I do agree, that one has to be sure that ones kids are reliable and trustworthy

Davexf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.