Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

If you did it all again... where would you go?

If you did it all again... where would you go?

Old Jun 19th 2007, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

bigfred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you did it all again... where would you go?

For all you lucky people out in spain somewhere Already... Now you have the life, or not, that you were wishing for. If you knew then what you know now would you do it all again...

Where would you go? or would you not bother?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 2:20 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you did it all again... where would you go?

Big question Big Fred!

For Spain, I think we made the right decision, although I do feel a bit isolated sometimes. However thats made up for by the teriffic views.

Seems to me that any expat moving anywhere faces challenges and problems, its just that here you have the added language barrier

Having said that, given the choice again I probably would move here BUT our next choice would be Florida
Old Jun 19th 2007, 2:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

we would come to the same area, BUT we would come out on long rentals only, just so that we could move around if we wanted, and were not tied by a mortgage. Which is the very reason that we are trying to sell our house.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:00 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

It's not always the dream you think it'll be. Life doesn't suddenyl become perfect and in many ways it can be much harder.

But I'd make the exact same choices and come to the exact same place. No doubt whatsoever!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:21 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

This may sound strange, but I would go to somewhere where there were less Brits! Actually, it's not the British I mind, it's the kind that seem to be moving into this area. None of them want to make any kind of effort to get involved with the community, whenever there's trouble at the fiestas you can guarantee it's the idiot Brit who is involved. Sometimes I feel ashamed and embarrassed to be British. At least I have my Irish ancestry to fall back on.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeoc
This may sound strange, but I would go to somewhere where there were less Brits! Actually, it's not the British I mind, it's the kind that seem to be moving into this area. None of them want to make any kind of effort to get involved with the community, whenever there's trouble at the fiestas you can guarantee it's the idiot Brit who is involved. Sometimes I feel ashamed and embarrassed to be British. At least I have my Irish ancestry to fall back on.
If that's Orba on the N Costa Blanca, it's where I had my first experience of that area. I was surprised at the number of British in the village then - this was four and a half years ago.

A Spaniard in the village said that the English upset the locals by trying to alter timetabled events to suit the English way of life, instead of adapting to the Spanish way.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
A Spaniard in the village said that the English upset the locals by trying to alter timetabled events to suit the English way of life, instead of adapting to the Spanish way.
Numpties!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:57 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

There was a news report on the costa blanca a couple of months back regarding the amount of foreigners moving there. They interviewed a guy and asked him if he thought there were many foreigners moving to the area. Not really he said, there are a few Danes and Swedish but the rest of us are Brits.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 3:59 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

There are far too many here, unfortunately a lot of them are morons
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:55 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lochy
It's not always the dream you think it'll be. Life doesn't suddenyl become perfect and in many ways it can be much harder.

But I'd make the exact same choices and come to the exact same place. No doubt whatsoever!
Lochy you are man/woman after my own heart....I wonder what people would do if life was perfect.... get bored and do something to spoil it or make it difficult
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:55 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

There was a news report on the costa blanca a couple of months back regarding the amount of foreigners moving there. They interviewed a guy and asked him if he thought there were many foreigners moving to the area. Not really he said, there are a few Danes and Swedish but the rest of us are Brits.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:26 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Originally Posted by poollounger
Lochy you are man/woman after my own heart....I wonder what people would do if life was perfect.... get bored and do something to spoil it or make it difficult
Exactly. Problem is it's easy to make decisions that make your life harder (but potentially better in the long run), it's living through the decisions which is tough. Nice when you come through the other end though...
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigfred
For all you lucky people out in spain somewhere Already... Now you have the life, or not, that you were wishing for. If you knew then what you know now would you do it all again...

Where would you go? or would you not bother?
As I am only a part time visitor to Spain, I am not the best qualified to answer. However, I have now spent many many months over the last four years in Denia and love it more each time I go. If I did it again, I would buy into a more established development rather than brand new as I love well established plants and, in the case of an urbanisation, you can see how well everything is being maintained.

My area just gets better all the time: improved infrastructure and more amenities. No regrets.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:51 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

exacto!!

& we'd do it all again, too.........though maybe not get through quite as much dosh in the first year as we did...especially the money spent putting the kids into International school
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:11 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubts that I would do it all over again, except that I would do it sooner. I was 30 when I came here but could have done it younger if I´d had the balls.

We moved around a bit before finding Jerez and we are not budging. EVER!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.