Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

if any one wants to live in mallorca let me know i lived there

if any one wants to live in mallorca let me know i lived there

Old May 29th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

sarah1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default if any one wants to live in mallorca let me know i lived there

hello, if u are thinkin of emigrating to sunny mallorca and have any questions then let me know, i lived there when i was younger so i no quite a bit im pleased to help anyone! and give u names of some wonderful places to visit live etc. x
Old May 31st 2009, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Tyzer33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: if any one wants to live in mallorca let me know i lived there

Hi my name is Tyronne, im more than likely going to be moving to Mallorca at the start of next year. Would you be able to give me some advice? Id be gratefull for it.

Thanks

Tyronne
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tyzer33
Hi my name is Tyronne, im more than likely going to be moving to Mallorca at the start of next year. Would you be able to give me some advice? Id be gratefull for it.

Thanks

Tyronne
hello,

where abouts are u lookin @ goin in mallorca, do you speak any spanish? if u are going to be working out there, then i would start leanring some spansih if u dont know any but if u go to a place like palma nova there are lots of english there who run bars but if you go to somewhere like palma you will really need to speak quite a bit of spanish because not many english are in the centre.

its a lovley country thou i would recommend you keep you bank a/c open in england and just put little drips and drabs in a spanish bank a/c.

x
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Im learning spanish at the minute but I have only started. I plan to stay in Palma nova for a bit when I first move out, while I try and get as fluent as possible with the language. Then I think i will move on to a different part of the island to settle. You mentioned about setting up a bank account, do you know if its possible to open an account from the UK before I move out?

Also do you think you could give me some advice on accomodation?

I really appriciate your help, thanks for your replys.

Tyronne
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tyzer33
Im learning spanish at the minute but I have only started. I plan to stay in Palma nova for a bit when I first move out, while I try and get as fluent as possible with the language. Then I think i will move on to a different part of the island to settle. You mentioned about setting up a bank account, do you know if its possible to open an account from the UK before I move out?

Also do you think you could give me some advice on accomodation?

I really appriciate your help, thanks for your replys.

Tyronne
well i mean barclays r out there, if u r going to go with a bank in spain go with the english banks but as i said be careful and only put drips and drabs in ur spansih bank a/c and the majority of ur money in ur english a/c.. palma nova is brilliant we lived there when we first arrived ryt across from mercadona was very handy i would recommend you rent first get use to the area because we rented for a couple of years then brought a house in a place called puig punynet (cant remember spelling) which was in the mountains but in hinse sight should of just rented oh i no a beautiful place called costa de blanes which is a little bit out but its stunning really nice houses. just get a cheap but nice apartment at first then see how it goes if u go to mercadona there is an estate agents on the top walk way who speaks english. oh and if you didnt know alot of ppl in mallorca speak catalan whcih u would hear alot of in palma centre

y la playa en plama nova es muy bonita! x
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah1990
well i mean barclays r out there, if u r going to go with a bank in spain go with the english banks but as i said be careful and only put drips and drabs in ur spansih bank a/c and the majority of ur money in ur english a/c.. palma nova is brilliant we lived there when we first arrived ryt across from mercadona was very handy i would recommend you rent first get use to the area because we rented for a couple of years then brought a house in a place called puig punynet (cant remember spelling) which was in the mountains but in hinse sight should of just rented oh i no a beautiful place called costa de blanes which is a little bit out but its stunning really nice houses. just get a cheap but nice apartment at first then see how it goes if u go to mercadona there is an estate agents on the top walk way who speaks english. oh and if you didnt know alot of ppl in mallorca speak catalan whcih u would hear alot of in palma centre

y la playa en plama nova es muy bonita! x
Barclays Esp are nothing to do with Barclays UK.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

An alternatibe opinion, I cant see any reason to go with a British Bank over a Spanish one whilst living in Spain.

As JDR points out Barclays in the UK have no connection with Barclays in Spain if you ask them. They distance themselves. I know some people have found good accounts though with Halifax with free transfers.

But in general Spanish banks dont charge for non cheque transactions, i.e. for paying in cash or transfers
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

lightbulb is an unknown quantity at this point

Long time lurker coming out!

I have lived in Mallorca over 15 years, in the Calvia area which includes the resorts of Palma Nova and Magaluf.

There are no jobs, nothing, nada, I'm lucky to work in a resort in a restaurant and there are a lot less tourists than other years here, speaking fluent Spanish is not enough to secure a job, unemployment is very high and as the tourist season fails to take off, prospects for the winter look bleak.

Sorry to be blunt but you'll need a lot of savings to make a go of it here right now, maybe in a year or so things might look a bit more positive, do a lot of research and have a back up plan.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Spanish Banks in my opinion.

Mallorca is a fantastic place to live......Good luck!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:50 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lightbulb
Long time lurker coming out!

I have lived in Mallorca over 15 years, in the Calvia area which includes the resorts of Palma Nova and Magaluf.

There are no jobs, nothing, nada, I'm lucky to work in a resort in a restaurant and there are a lot less tourists than other years here, speaking fluent Spanish is not enough to secure a job, unemployment is very high and as the tourist season fails to take off, prospects for the winter look bleak.

Sorry to be blunt but you'll need a lot of savings to make a go of it here right now, maybe in a year or so things might look a bit more positive, do a lot of research and have a back up plan.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Spanish Banks in my opinion.

Mallorca is a fantastic place to live......Good luck!!
Welcome lightbulb, thanks for the input
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replys, especially from Sarah 1990 i appriciate the advice. I know things are difficult economically there and theres unemployment but I have a number of skills, Im a fully qualified mechanical engineer, a fully trained tiler and I also have a good few counselling qualifications and several hundred counselling hours behind me. I will probably try to get work in a bar etc for the first while until im 100% confident with my spanish.

Thanks again

Tyronne