Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Idea for bussines

Idea for bussines

Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:01 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Idea for bussines

Just a thought, have you consdered opening a Bank? Can't fail Cos if you do you would get bailed out.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

there's a few empty ex bank properties around - did they remove the safe before leaving ??
Old Jun 8th 2012, 7:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bed and breakfast
Guests would be mainly people visiting relatives or friends in the area. In some cases relatives could have no rooms available in their house in other cases people could prefer be more independents.
Hi, butting in from the France forum, but it's a general question for anywhere.
I think most people who have visitors make sure that there aren't too many at the same time, since they usually want to avoid paying for accommodation!
Personally speaking, in all the years I've been living in France, the only times I've ever had to put family in a B&B were when the two families came for important family events. For the rest of the time, esp. in the summer, I plan visits to ensure that there's enough room, and I imagine most people do so too.
Sorry to put a damper on your idea, but you must do a lot of research!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:58 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

I´m thinking on buying a property in Hondon de los Frailes (Alicante-Spain) in order to built a small hotel/B&B with 4 to 6 bedrooms.
I live in the area and the general comments on here are about right. It is very rural and no tourist traffic outside of the summer / friends / relatives visiting or like yourself looking to 'test' / buy in the area. It's a nice place to live in the Hondon Valley, but it is quiet and that's the main attraction for the ExPats here.

I do think there is business to be had in the area during the visiting season but there are many here already doing B&B (legally and illegally). So you'd have to have a USP and be good at marketing to get your new venture noticed. As someone else said - if you can do this almost as a hobby and not have to rely on the income then it might be worth a try, but if you want to make a full time income from B&B in this area - no way José!!

However to be positive, you might find combining B&B with other rural activities / trading might get you some supplemental income (e.g. one B&B here puts on art classes twice a week.... another does Spanish classes... maybe you can be inventive.

I would suggest you come over and rent yourself for a while to see how the land lies before committing to anything so risky in these austere times. There are some Hondon rentals available www.hondonvalleyrentals.com
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

I´m thinking on buying a property in Hondon de los Frailes (Alicante-Spain) in order to built a small hotel/B&B with 4 to 6 bedrooms.

Guests would be mainly people visiting relatives or friends in the area. In some cases relatives could have no rooms available in their house in other cases people could prefer be more independents.

What do you think about the possibilities of this idea ¿Have you miss this type of accomodation the past?.

Thank you for your help: Pedro
Its been done before and everyone I know in my limited experience has been through the mill with paperwork for licences and Health and Safety etc then closed within two years because of lack of business, too high costs and too much red tape. Sorry but you did ask!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't think now is the time to be setting up any business in Spain ,hang on 18 months to 2 years ,a lot is going to happen in this time and sadly I don't think it will be positive.

If you could build and open legally in less than three years I`d be amazed, will your finances support this time scale?

Have you ever dealt with Spanish bureaucracy ? Its obstructive and corrupting.

If you're hell bent on doing this I would say lease an existing business that already has the necessary permissions/paper work in place ,get an out of town lawyer to check it all (a local lawyer may well have an interest in your potential venture but wont declare it), then get another out of town lawyer to check it again , you`ll be amazed by their different views !

Anyway, Good Luck.