Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ID cards in Spain

ID cards in Spain

Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:33 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ID cards in Spain

With all the money the UK gov make on passports I can`t see them allowing people to use this card in the same way as a passport, it would cost them millions if everyone dumped the passport in favour of a 30 squid card.
You will def need both or just a passport.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:37 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
With all the money the UK gov make on passports I can`t see them allowing people to use this card in the same way as a passport, it would cost them millions if everyone dumped the passport in favour of a 30 squid card.
but if you're here & you can get the ID card - & it's accepted as legal ID by the Spanish govt. - & you don't leave the country - then you wouldn't need to fork out the 100+ quid for a new passport when it expires
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:39 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

If the government want the scheme to get off the ground, then they need to make it easy, efficient and of real advantage to the person carrying it. ie it could replace a driving licence, passport etc and be a lot cheaper than the old forms.

So. No hope there then.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:43 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Not according to the IPS. You do not necessarily need a valid passport to get one and it is a valid travel document within the EU/EEA.

A Spanish national can enter the UK with a DNI - a passport is not required.

The effect of the fact that the UK is not a Schengen member applies to border controls - ie you need an ID document to pass through the borders - it is not a requirement that it be a passport - a national identity card is acceptable and remember that 21 of the 25 countries already have ID cards.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 12th 2010 at 9:46 am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think a British ID card would be much use - barring having photographic ID to back up a credit card at the shop. I use a Spanish driving licence for this.
For proper ID, you need a Spanish ID card, called a DNI (Documento Nacional de Identidad) which is very useful - only of course you need to be a Spaniard to get one. Non-Europeans (those that are allowed to stay here) have a similar looking card called a 'tarjeta de residencia no-comunitaria' - a sort of non EU ID card. Very useful, it has the bearer's photo and thumbprint plus his ID number which is also his tax number.
Unfortunately, some idiots came up with an idea to create (much needed) extra work for Spain's four million strong army of bureaucrats in the shape of a new non-residence paper for Europeans - an A4 sheet (unfoldable if you want it to last) which must be carried with a passport - theoretically at all times. I've certainly had to go home a couple of times to fetch the damn thing. This piece of s*** legislation means that we Europeans no longer have a Spanish ID card or 'residencia' but are now merely 'registered with the foreign police department'. After almost 40 years, I'm no longer a resident here.
We do, of course, continue to have a tax number which is on the aforementioned A4.
It has been said that the Spanish Ministry of the Interior - which doesn't as a rule take any notice of what foreigners might think - was quite taken with this A4 wheeze: it could have left things alone, or gone with a French-style 'Carte de Séjour'. But, you know, foreigners hey?

BTW - you won't get into Gibraltar with a British ID card - or a Spanish one either.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Not according to the IPS. You do not necessarily need a valid passport to get one and it is a valid travel document within the EU/EEA.

A Spanish national can enter the UK with a DNI - a passport is not required.

The effect of the fact that the UK is not a Schengen member applies to border controls - ie you need an ID document to pass through the borders - it is not a requirement that it be a passport - a national identity card is acceptable and remember that 21 of the 25 countries already have ID cards.
Maybe right, I have seen Spaniards going into Gib with their ID cards, but everyone I have seen going into and out of the UK have held a passport out.
Maybe that was just the airline rules though ?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:07 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Maybe right, I have seen Spaniards going into Gib with their ID cards, but everyone I have seen going into and out of the UK have held a passport out.
Maybe that was just the airline rules though ?

You're right about Gib - the Spanish use their DNI cards but the Brits must use passports - a residencia card is not accepted.

You can definitely enter the UK with a Spanish DNI card - I have been with Spaniards who have done this.

For flying within the Schengen EU, airlines insist on proof of identity - a photo ID card - that could be a driving licence.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about Gib - the Spanish use their DNI cards but the Brits must use passports - a residencia card is not accepted.

You can definitely enter the UK with a Spanish DNI card - I have been with Spaniards who have done this.

For flying within the Schengen EU, airlines insist on proof of identity - a photo ID card - that could be a driving licence.
yes - I know a Spanish guy who has travelled into the UK several times with his ID card
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:38 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

One of the problems with using a Spanish DL (I believe with a UK DL too) as a a very unofficial ID, is that it does not show your address.

The ID issued to non EU residents, like the old Residencia Card does show the address, but it will nor get a holder into Gib.

As for the new UK ID card, I am sure it will be legally acceptable in the whole of the EU just like a Spanish DNI.

Some few years ago a friend of mine flew from Spain the Italic. He produced his valid Residencia on arrival and it was accepted without question (he did have his passport with him just in case).

Last edited by johncar61; Feb 12th 2010 at 11:21 am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:51 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by johncar61
One of the problems with using a Spanish DL (I believe UK too) an a very unofficial ID, is that it does not show your address.

The ID issued to non EU residents, like the old Residencia Card does show the address, but it will nor get a holder into Gib.

As for the new UK ID card, I am sure it will be legally acceptable in the whole of the EU just like a Spanish DNI.

Some few years ago a friend of mine flew from Spain the Italic. He produced his valid Residencia on arrival and it was accepted without question (he did have his passport with him just in case).
problem is, we can't get one
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:27 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I don't have a driving licence

a passport is an awkward size

obviously a card would just be so much easier to carry
You would use it instead of a passport (within the EU/EAA) as it qualifies as a National Identity Document just like a Spanish DNI card.

It also costs a lot less than a passport and is easier to carry.

They seem like two valid reasons.
Pretty much what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by jdr
I can´t see there being a need for both, the UK gov may charge a lot for these passports but I would also imagine they cost a lot of money to produce compared to a single plastic card.
Funnily enough I work at a printers in Madrid and we do a lot of security printing and special products printing for banks and the government and guess what we´re in the middle of printing 3 000 000 copies of at the moment.............the forms and paperwork for the new id cards.......anyone interested in a DIY job?

In the highly unlikely event of anyone from work reading this I´m joking about taking copies!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:32 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Pretty much what I was thinking.

I can´t see there being a need for both, the UK gov may charge a lot for these passports but I would also imagine they cost a lot of money to produce compared to a single plastic card.
Funnily enough I work at a printers in Madrid and we do a lot of security printing and special products printing for banks and the government and guess what we´re in the middle of printing 3 000 000 copies of at the moment.............the forms and paperwork for the new id cards.......anyone interested in a DIY job?

In the highly unlikely event of anyone from work reading this I´m joking about taking copies!

IF the cost of the materials is the reason for the high price of a UK passport, it must be that paper in UK is a lot more expensive than in Spain. A Spanish 10 year Passport costs €20
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:35 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
IF the cost of the materials is the reason for the high price of a UK passport, it must be that paper in UK is a lot more expensive than in Spain. A Spanish 10 year Passport costs €20
Paper prices in the UK are horrific but you also need to take into account the costs of administation as well. Just think about wages in the UK compared to those in Spain.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:48 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

And those Civil Service pensions
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
And those Civil Service pensions
Yes, and non-contributory too, I bet we all wish ours had been like that too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.