Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ice cold truth?

Ice cold truth?

Old May 26th 2012, 9:34 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ice cold truth?

Hi

We saw a TV programme this week in Belgium. Its one of those where they send an inspector into the kitchen of a resto... and we see the reality!

As a 'foodie' and regular resto user, and a sometime hygeine-nut, I tend to avoid watching these, taking the 'ostrich-option' of what you dont know you dont worry about!

However they were talking about Spain and in particular use of ice in drinks. Industrial ice (that you can buy in big packs) are OK. Making ice at home OK, as one washes the ice cube tray each time. So the problem is not the water per se.... Its resto's and in particular, bars, and their use and procedures for ice. Cleaning the pipes, hygeine control etc. where we find the problem.... and lack of time to do all this when there are high rates of drink going out in bars, with all the customers they get. The bacteria they found in several places was not good. The heat just amplifies the problem - and bacteria in ice are dormant of course and not killed by cold.

I certainly hate it when I see people putting ice into glasses with bare hands - ugh!

The strong recommendation - dont take ice. This is the advice in many 3rd world countries, but I actually hadnt considered it for Spain....

Also somehow I get the feeling - no proof - that Portugal has a better philosophy in the kitchen. The chefs wear hats and the kitchens always look good.

Would you agree re ice and Portugal?

Thanks

Jon

May be sleepy but dont like to 'yawn'.. in technicolour!!!

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 26th 2012 at 9:44 am.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ice cold truth?

Ice and rice two things I am dubious about when out anywhere, although recently have not been so bad about the ice, possibly not a wise idea.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:35 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ice cold truth?

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi

We saw a TV programme this week in Belgium. Its one of those where they send an inspector into the kitchen of a resto... and we see the reality!

As a 'foodie' and regular resto user, and a sometime hygeine-nut, I tend to avoid watching these, taking the 'ostrich-option' of what you dont know you dont worry about!

However they were talking about Spain and in particular use of ice in drinks. Industrial ice (that you can buy in big packs) are OK. Making ice at home OK, as one washes the ice cube tray each time. So the problem is not the water per se.... Its resto's and in particular, bars, and their use and procedures for ice. Cleaning the pipes, hygeine control etc. where we find the problem.... and lack of time to do all this when there are high rates of drink going out in bars, with all the customers they get. The bacteria they found in several places was not good. The heat just amplifies the problem - and bacteria in ice are dormant of course and not killed by cold.

I certainly hate it when I see people putting ice into glasses with bare hands - ugh!

The strong recommendation - dont take ice. This is the advice in many 3rd world countries, but I actually hadnt considered it for Spain....

Also somehow I get the feeling - no proof - that Portugal has a better philosophy in the kitchen. The chefs wear hats and the kitchens always look good.

Would you agree re ice and Portugal?

Thanks

Jon

May be sleepy but dont like to 'yawn'.. in technicolour!!!

Quite right.

I came across this many years ago in TF where many places had their own procedures for making ice from tap water.
Like many others I soon found out that it was best avoided.

In addition it's also something of a con to impress or fool punters regarding the size of their drink.