Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ibiza property inheritance

Ibiza property inheritance

Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Phil evissa 66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ibiza property inheritance

Hi all my uncle sadly passed on last year and he left his flat to my mum .. I'm hearing that's its quite complicated to sort out and there's tax to pay which seems harsh .. Any advice .. I'm thinking we should just leave it & keep quiet !!

Last edited by Sue; Mar 8th 2013 at 2:19 pm. Reason: Moved to Spain Forum
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ibiza property inheritance

Welcome to BE.

I think the best forum to ask your questions in is the Spain Forums...maybe someone who posts in there may be able to help you. Perhaps you could give a little more detail...how much is the property worth...where does your mum reside?

Good luck.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Yes, there's a lot of little nasty wealth taxes in mainland Europe As Jerseygirl said, if Spain is the place where the property is, then take a look through the Spain forum and ask some questions. The folks on there are very helpful.

I suspect that doing nothing might not be the way to go. With a lot of countries, taxes can mount up if you don't pay them. There could be penalties. But do check out with the folks in Spain. Then you can decide what the best course of action is.

Last edited by bakedbean; Mar 8th 2013 at 2:10 am. Reason: added a bit
Old Mar 8th 2013, 9:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yes, there's a lot of little nasty wealth taxes in mainland Europe As Jerseygirl said, if Spain is the place where the property is, then take a look through the Spain forum and ask some questions. The folks on there are very helpful.
Not so much wealth tax in this case, but Inheritence Tax. In France it can be horrific, depending on what the relationship with the deceased is, and Spain is probably no better...
As suggested, ask on the Spain forum, they are a knowledgeable lot.
(And welcome to the Forum to the OP, by the way!)
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

And Spain normally likes the tax paid inside 6 months or they hit with large penalties...........
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:10 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi there and welcome to the forum

I suspect that doing nothing might not be the way to go. With a lot of countries, taxes can mount up if you don't pay them. There could be penalties. But do check out with the folks in Spain. Then you can decide what the best course of action is.
And of course, with things the way they are, inheriting / owning a flat certainly puts you in the "wealthy" category

If there is some way you can become legally "not wealthy" then you may be able to avoid the penalties imposed on being "wealthy". Of course, you may need to declare yourself insolvent (that's not considered "wealthy" yet, is it?).
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:19 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil evissa 66
Hi all my uncle sadly passed on last year and he left his flat to my mum .. I'm hearing that's its quite complicated to sort out and there's tax to pay which seems harsh .. Any advice .. I'm thinking we should just leave it & keep quiet !!
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Yes there is inheritance tax to pay. My husband died last year, we had joint ownership and a joint mortgage on the house that we lived in here in Spain and I had to pay inheritance tax on the half of the house that I inherited from him.

The amount payable depends on the value of the property and the ìnheritors relationship with the person who has left it to them.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Mar 8th 2013 at 5:23 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 2:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

That is worrying rosemary, as you are in Valencia prov as well. Here, people whos other halves have died have not paid any inheritance tax .. its when its left to non residents etc that it gets costly
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:00 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
And of course, with things the way they are, inheriting / owning a flat certainly puts you in the "wealthy" category

If there is some way you can become legally "not wealthy" then you may be able to avoid the penalties imposed on being "wealthy". Of course, you may need to declare yourself insolvent (that's not considered "wealthy" yet, is it?).
has Barcenas got to that stage yet??