Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

IBI Responsibility for payment?

IBI Responsibility for payment?

Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default IBI Responsibility for payment?

When we were selling our old house we had 2 possible completion dates one in December last year and one at the beginning of January this year. Our lawyer advised us to sell in December otherwise due to recent legislation we would be liable to pay IBI for the whole of 2016. Is this correct?
Old Feb 28th 2016, 8:38 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IBI Responsibility for payment?

I didn't know it was recent legislation but it's what I had always assumed.

It's like car tax, whoever owns the asset on January 1st, is responsible for the charges in that year.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

I am not so sure re car tax. Whenever I have sold a car and not replaced it, the tax was charged on a quarterly basis. Whether this differs for other areas of Spain I couldnĀ“t say.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:34 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcbernard
I am not so sure re car tax. Whenever I have sold a car and not replaced it, the tax was charged on a quarterly basis. Whether this differs for other areas of Spain I couldnĀ“t say.
You can make a claim for car tax that you personally don't "use" - and yes, this is done in quarterly chunks.

... but it's not a given. If you don't claim it back, you have to pay the entire year.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

When we bought our house we exchanged contracts etc on the 14 Jan. The seller kept putting the IBI bill through my door. I was confused and told the seller that I would enquire with the solicitor as I had paid him to ensure all outstanding bills etc were paid. The solicitor said that bill was not mine because we signed it over etc after 31 Dec which made it the sellers responsibility. Had we signed it over pre 31 December it would have been our bill. They did say you could agree to pay half each but legally 31 December is the magic date.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Bo S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
When we were selling our old house we had 2 possible completion dates one in December last year and one at the beginning of January this year. Our lawyer advised us to sell in December otherwise due to recent legislation we would be liable to pay IBI for the whole of 2016. Is this correct?
Surely when you agree on the price of the property it includes an adjustment for the IBI paid pro rata or about to fall due. It is then built in to the sale contract prior to signing. This is poor negotiating all round if not so.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 6:25 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Bo S
Surely when you agree on the price of the property it includes an adjustment for the IBI paid pro rata or about to fall due. It is then built in to the sale contract prior to signing. This is poor negotiating all round if not so.
I'm not sure I agree.

From the buyers perspective (in this case), if they know that it's law that the person owning the property on 1st Jan is responsible for paying it, then why should they negotiate.

Perhaps poor negotiating on the part of the seller though not to have spotted this.