Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I need your property opinions

I need your property opinions

Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:35 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need your property opinions

I'm not qualified to give the OP the advice he is looking for, because I did what he may be about to do many years ago. And I'm still standing. But I haven't tried to sell.

I think if you're looking for the Anglo Saxon legality from back home, you want find it in Spain. According to our British ways, everything in Spain is illegal; according to their ways, we're a nation of compulsive worriers about stupid things - while they sit back and enjoy life without too many traumas and live longer than we do.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Hi
.....I want to legalise and purchase on the same day at the notary, the seller wants me to buy the house warts and all and legalise at my leisure. Taking the 1% risk with my 200k in cash.

The questions are:-
1) Would you take the risk?
2) Is the house mortgageable in this state? (worried about rival bidders)
Too many variables, too many risks for my taste. I would tell the vendor to get it legal then proceed to purchase. I don't have any knowledge re: mortgaging. Are you sure there are rival bidders?

If you really want the property leave your contact details with the vendor and ask them to call you when they have legalised everything - then check that it has been done properly. As previous posters have said: it's a buyers market!

Good luck.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Hi
As many of you may know I am negotiating on a property in Fuengirola.

The property has an illegal garage/pool area, and the square meterage of the house is incorrect.

The apparent cost is 4k to legalise with a 99% chance of legalisation.

The seller knocked 4k off the asking price to legalise, I want to legalise and purchase on the same day at the notary, the seller wants me to buy the house warts and all and legalise at my leisure. Taking the 1% risk with my 200k in cash.

The questions are:-
1) Would you take the risk?
2) Is the house mortgageable in this state? (worried about rival bidders)

Any advice or opinion would be welcome

Regards

Al
You are approaching the matter from the wrong perspective!

Use the irregularities to negotiate a rock bottom price. You should be knocking 10s of thousands off the price, not just the cost of fixing them.

Until all matters are made legal, you or anybody else doesn't know if it's possible.

You must be in the very early stages of negotiation if you are asking if it's mortgageable? Let the bank decide. When assessed the bank will send a valuer to get a valor tasacion price. A max mortgage of 80% of that figure will be given and that's if they decide to go ahead at all.
If paying cash, maybe get an independent valuation done. It'll be no more than 250 euros for a detailed report.

When we bought, we renegotiated the price lower twice more, even after a firm offer was agreed and after the mortgage had been arranged.

There is LEGAL, ILLEGAL and LEGAL ENOUGH. The latter is what I would aim for, when buying otherwise you'll end up with a dull boring box of a house withing a box of a plot, just like all the other sheep.

Matters in Spain can be fixed, not just with 4k, but with a tremendeous amount of TIME, PATIENCE and KNOWLEDGE. We resolved an issue at our house, that the previous owner failed to resolve, simply because of knowing what the rules are and presenting our situation to the relevant authorities in the correct way. Do you know the rules? Do you know the workings of the townhall?

Personally, despite what I've written, I don't like it when extra buildings, pools, etc. don't have proper planning permission. No good saying, "but none of the neighbours have permission either". I can go with differences in main building sqr metres, provided the total is within the % allowed for the plot. Boundaries, not too bothered if the plot is big enough.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:11 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

One solution is what my BIL did. The house he bought in Alhaurín didn't have the correct paperwork. Advised by his lawyer he bought but held back 50% of the price until said escritura was amended. After 5 years it still hadn't happened and he sold it but did not lose out. I still wouldn't do it though. As some have said there are plenty of legal houses around stand firm, no legalisation at notary or walk away and don't answer their calls.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for replying.

The reason I re posted this issue on its own thread was to hopefully gain more opinions rather than a few from the people reading my other thread.

I have read some excellent comments and some wise ones I knew you would not let me down!

I am quite angry that the agent did not know if the property was legal before we offered on it, I thought that was a pre requisite to selling these days in Spain.

I have played hard ball all along, knowing I hold a lot of aces, cash buyer, in no great hurry, who knows the local market.

I do not fully understand the process in Spain, so I am so glad of this wealth of knowledge on tap.

The state of play at present is I have told them that if the property is not legalised at the same time at the notary as when I buy, and the 10% deposit is refundable on the property being found to be unable to be legalised then I walk away.This is not acceptable to the owner for some reason and the agent is in a spin trying to patch the deal. He is trying to get some certificate or other from the town hall to prove something, but I feel it will end in nothing.

I am considering as the bil of Jacktoo, pay a very low price with a full balance on legalisation.

The agent keeps saying he is marketing the property still which he is, and I keep saying well carry on! I do not care. The next person will only hit the same dilemma. The scandis are buying at present and perhaps represent the biggest number of purchasers at present, and are maybe the unknown dilemma in my situation

I asked about mortgage-ability because if the house is NOT mortgageable I think I am in a check mate position and will negotiate harder.

The house by the way is a good price for what it is, and is what we are looking for, namely a villa within 25 mins walk to the front, needing work, and in our cash price budjet.

The old lady just wants to go back to the Uk without giving away her former marital home, but as she is 84 she needs to move sooner rather than later.

Regards
Al
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for replying.

The reason I re posted this issue on its own thread was to hopefully gain more opinions rather than a few from the people reading my other thread.

I have read some excellent comments and some wise ones I knew you would not let me down!

I am quite angry that the agent did not know if the property was legal before we offered on it, I thought that was a pre requisite to selling these days in Spain.

I have played hard ball all along, knowing I hold a lot of aces, cash buyer, in no great hurry, who knows the local market.

I do not fully understand the process in Spain, so I am so glad of this wealth of knowledge on tap.

The state of play at present is I have told them that if the property is not legalised at the same time at the notary as when I buy, and the 10% deposit is refundable on the property being found to be unable to be legalised then I walk away.This is not acceptable to the owner for some reason and the agent is in a spin trying to patch the deal. He is trying to get some certificate or other from the town hall to prove something, but I feel it will end in nothing.

I am considering as the bil of Jacktoo, pay a very low price with a full balance on legalisation.

The agent keeps saying he is marketing the property still which he is, and I keep saying well carry on! I do not care. The next person will only hit the same dilemma. The scandis are buying at present and perhaps represent the biggest number of purchasers at present, and are maybe the unknown dilemma in my situation

I asked about mortgage-ability because if the house is NOT mortgageable I think I am in a check mate position and will negotiate harder.

The house by the way is a good price for what it is, and is what we are looking for, namely a villa within 25 mins walk to the front, needing work, and in our cash price budjet.

The old lady just wants to go back to the Uk without giving away her former marital home, but as she is 84 she needs to move sooner rather than later.

Regards
Al
Unless it is your dream home, you have the ball in your court with those words highlighted.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

The agent would not offer that information willingly.....agents are only interested in getting their eight percent commision!

Sounds dodgy to me, there is no logical reason for the owner not to have it legalised in order to make the sale....unless she knows it's something that's not possible to do.
And as for the agent, he's in a spin because he sees his commision slipping away.

Even more reason why she should be willing to legalise if it is possible.

I would say walk away from this one, there are many houses here that would be your dream home and are within your budget and legal. You really don't need the hassle and possible heartache that this property could bring.

Last edited by megmet; Jun 7th 2012 at 11:00 am.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet

I would say walk away from this one, there are many houses here that would be your dream home and are within your budget and legal. You really don't need the hassle and possible heartache that this property could bring.
Perfect answer
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

I would see that it is all sorted and 100% legal before you buy. So you think it is a good price, you think someone will jump in to buy it before you, let them. your illegal good price may cost much more to put right, if not you may never sell it in the future or if you do someone will only take it off you for a bad price. It is a buyers market, something better and in order is out there.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

You should price the house as per what is on the title deeds so if it all goes bang the money you saved can be used to deconstruct the illegal elements, which as other have hinted is probably unlikely.