Reload this Page >

I hate Spain (bullying)

I hate Spain (bullying)

Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

dibyrne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I hate Spain (bullying)

I came across the following post:

I Hate Spain - I Hate Living in Spain & The Spanish...

Amongst some of the responses I came across a post by Sammy. He described quite a sad school life, in particular bullying of English kids. The way I read it it seems almost inevitable an English child will be bullied.

Of course, bullying can be a problem anywhere, but my 9 year old son is happy enough where he is and has no issues with bullying. Should I be concerned? Am I taking him from a relatively safe environment and putting him into a situation where there is a high likelihood he'll be subject to bullying and isolation?

I'm starting to wonder if we should delay our plans and wait until he's finished school, but in some ways that defeats one of our objectives which is for him to learn another language.

Any advice or thoughts would be very helpful.

Di

Last edited by dibyrne; Apr 20th 2016 at 1:03 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate Spain (bullying)

Originally Posted by dibyrne
I came across the following post:

I Hate Spain - I Hate Living in Spain & The Spanish...

Amongst some of the responses I came across a post by Sammy. He described quite a sad school life, in particular bullying of English kids. The way I read it it seems almost inevitable an English child will be bullied.

Of course, bullying can be a problem anywhere, but my 9 year old son is happy enough where he is and has no issues with bullying. Should I be concerned? Am I taking him from a relatively safe environment and putting him into a situation where there is a high likelihood he'll be subject to bullying and isolation?

I'm starting to wonder if we should delay our plans and wait until he's finished school, but in some ways that defeats one of our objectives which is for him to learn another language.

Any advice or thoughts would be very helpful.

Di

My eldest was about the same age when we came over and he did just fine.

We have been here for about 10 years now and in that time none of my 3 children have been bullied at all. Maybe we've been lucky but I don't think it's really a problem here - certainly no more than elsewhere.

BUT YOU MUST ALL TRY AND INTEGRATE.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
My eldest was about the same age when we came over and he did just fine.

We have been here for about 10 years now and in that time none of my 3 children have been bullied at all. Maybe we've been lucky but I don't think it's really a problem here - certainly no more than elsewhere.

BUT YOU MUST ALL TRY AND INTEGRATE.
I know of several families that returned to the UK because of their child being bullied. A lot of the problems is when the parents are unable to communicate with the teachers because they don't speak Spanish so nothing gets done.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 2:25 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

This is the very first I've ever heard of any such thing, but I don't have kids in school.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 3:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I have always found Spanish people to be welcoming. Far more so than Brits are to foreigners moving to UK.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 3:32 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill556
I know of several families that returned to the UK because of their child being bullied. A lot of the problems is when the parents are unable to communicate with the teachers because they don't speak Spanish so nothing gets done.
... but that doesn't prevent it happening in the first place.

If the parents don't at least try and speak Spanish, then yes, the children will feel more isolated and find it harder to integrate and so bullying may happen.

However, in my experience and others in this area, it simply doesn't happen.

Maybe it's more prevalent where there are more foreigners?
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

You get bullying every and anywhere, in every country. The catalyst doesn't have to be foreigners or immigrants, there are those that will be bullies no matter the circumstances. My two kids are at a local Spanish school and have never had an problems at all. Mostly the other kids have gone out of their way to help with language difficulties or any other problems.
I certainly wouldn't alter my plans as regards moving to Spain just because of the possibility of it.
In any case, if it did happen, me not speaking Spanish so well wouldn't stop me going to the school to sort it out in short order.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add - I've now read in full the article above and can only say I have a different opinion. I wonder how much influence living down on the coast where there are many expats has on their feelings compared with living quite a way (2 hours for me) inland.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:32 am
Banned

Silas Mickey is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone has different kind of thoughts and opinion. Not all men are same thought and thinking.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 9:40 am
Just Joined

dibyrne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mark604
Just to add - I've now read in full the article above and can only say I have a different opinion. I wonder how much influence living down on the coast where there are many expats has on their feelings compared with living quite a way (2 hours for me) inland.
We're planning on the costa blanca, inland a little from Javea. We're going for a look-see in three weeks and will visit some of the schools in the area.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 12:11 pm
Banned

Silas Mickey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dibyrne
We're planning on the costa blanca, inland a little from Javea. We're going for a look-see in three weeks and will visit some of the schools in the area.
That's very good idea. How much people in your team in total?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Liana12433 is an unknown quantity at this point

My eldest son is Russian, he loves school and has zero problems. In fact when he was daft crossing the road one day the other kids told the teacher to be aware as they were worried. I have had no negative things happen to me or my family, I work with Spanish guys and als and we have a great laugh. These things can happen anywhere, not just Spain. Just be observant and be in contact with the school regularly if anything untoward appears to happen. My two pennys worth any ways.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 8:19 am
Just Joined

JuliaStein is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't love in Spanish only one thing - they usually miss and break deadlines
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:17 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish like to refer to the Germans as "cabeza quadrato", at least in part because they have this funny way of doing everything on a precisely timed schedule. Not a minute too early, not a minute too late. And expect everyone else to be the same.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
The Spanish like to refer to the Germans as "cabeza quadrato", at least in part because they have this funny way of doing everything on a precisely timed schedule. Not a minute too early, not a minute too late. And expect everyone else to be the same.
cabeza cuadrado

It is a common trait for us Northern Europeans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.