Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I don't believe it!!!

I don't believe it!!!

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default I don't believe it!!!

Hello everyone

Just in case anyone's noticed that I haven't been around for the past 5 days!........................................

O/H went to the UK last Thursday, which meant I was looking forward to the sole use of the one remaining working PC in our house.

Friday there was a car fire just outside the village, which burnt the telephone cables................but amazingly Telefonica were on the ball, and we were up and running again by Friday night.

Saturday morning, after having used the PC briefly.................it suddenly stopped working!
It was whirring and making promising noises, but then all I was left with was a blank screen and a little tiny message saying "no signal!" (Boy, did I come to hate that sign!)

I tried everything I could think of to rectify the problem - but that didn't take long, cos I'm not renowned for my technical ability!
Of course (being the skinflints that we are!) we have cheap rate phone calls and text services - all on the PC...................so I couldn't communicate with anyone

O/H was working, so I had to send him very expensive Orange texts from my mobile and let him know of my predicament.
He phoned me and made a few suggestions (like "don't be so blonde!!") but we couldn't figure out why the PC seemed to have suddenly died???

Personally, I reckon he hijacked it before he went away, so that it wouldn' t work - knowing that I'd have to do boring things like housework and (long overdue) spring cleaning!

So, here I've been, "stranded" with no-one to talk to!!
(Well, apart from a village full of people of course )

Here comes the unbelievable bit:
O/H walks in last night, turns the PC on and, guess what...........................
the bloody thing worked straight away!!!! :curse:
I was incredulous to say the least!
Keith hadn't done anything different to me; it just worked!

Anyway, obviously I'm glad everything's working again, but I still can't believe that the PC has been so miraculously resurrected

This morning, we've borrowed a spare monitor from the Ayuntamiento (our mayoress is very nice!) so that means we now have a PC each, so no longer have to take it it turns!

Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with what's been going on soon, but for now I just wanted to say "hi" and hope that you're all OK.

Sam Parky, how are you?
I hope you had a wonderful time with your Mum; I bet she was blown away to see you
I've been thinking about you, your Mum and Benny - and hope that his sad visit was bearable?
You may well have already put some info on here, so I shall have a look a bit later on.

Take care all, and look forward to chatting soon.
Do you know, something always goes wrong when Keith goes away!
Last time, we had the cable fire outside our house; this time it was the PC - I tell you, I'm dreading his next trip away (next month) when he'll be gone for 6 WEEKS!!!
(And he's flying on September 11th!!!!!!)

Catch you later peeps
Love Sam xx
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:19 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't believe it!!!

Poor computer just needed a little rest and decided as OH walked in the door that it was time to wake up again. Makes you sick when that happens.

Rosemary
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:50 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear Sam,are you sure you ought to be left alone every time Keith is away there is something or other happening to you,nice to see you up and running again..........
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:11 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should pop over for a visit Jean to make sure Sam's pc is running ok - you've become quite a whizz on the pc since you first joined the site with your new lappy
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Maybe you should pop over for a visit Jean to make sure Sam's pc is running ok - you've become quite a whizz on the pc since you first joined the site with your new lappy

Hey Lionda!
That's a really good idea

Jean is SO brave and clever; she just tries out things on her lappy and comes up trumps.
I, on the other hand, think I'm doing well to re-boot the flipping thing!
I'm just not a technical kind of person.......................and Keith is my "Mr Fix-It!"

Hope things are going well for you?
Have read a few snippets on various threads, and it certainly sounds like you are happy
Glad you've finally got all the UK house business behind you - that must be a huge relief.

How do you spend your days at the moment? Hope you're having lots of fun.

Take care,
love Sam x
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:59 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Morning Lionda and Sam, Mmmmmmmm sounds like a good idea to me I could do with a jolly.....Lol ooooooooops I am over in a couple of weeks or so
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:48 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca

Here comes the unbelievable bit:
O/H walks in last night, turns the PC on and, guess what...........................
the bloody thing worked straight away!!!!
:curse:
I was incredulous to say the least!
Keith hadn't done anything different to me; it just worked!
Hey Sam,

It's quite obvious your puter just needed a man's gentle touch!

Glad everything is sorted

Martha
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:15 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Sam............ I have a new hobby since we moved here - trying out the various tapas bars in Castalla Today we had a long conversation with a barman and another customer for over an hour - we spoke a little Spanish, they spoke NO English and when we left we still didn't have a clue what we'd been talking about BUT during the hour the barman offered us tapas (gratis) and ciggies (we don't smoke) and then proceeded to play cards with other customers (no-one left behind the bar as he was on his own!) and told Kev (hubby) to watch - he was none the wiser as the cards were not the normal suit of cards as we know it. Ohh - and during the game the barman left the room and came back wearing a brown curly wig ONLY IN SPAIN
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:17 pm
Popping in for a chat

Jean...........get over here as soon as you can - you will love it
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

How lovely to hear that you're enjoying your new life and your new "tapas hobby", Lionda!
It's certainly a different way of life here, isn't it?
The relaxed attitude to everything social is fantastic, isn't it!

I often marvel at our friend who runs the Churreria - I sometimes go and chat to her while she's clearing up (when there aren't 20 people all talking/shouting at once!)
She'll say to me, "are you OK here for a minute, while I go and buy my bread or look at the clothes in the market." Then off she goes, leaving me with all her money!!

We sit in our village bar, chatting to our friends that run it. Sometimes I play tag with their 6 year old grandaughter (in the bar!) or we'll get photos out, play Suduko, talk about football or whatever. Other people will just join in the conversation, and it's all so friendly and lovely.

It's interesting you talking about Spanish cards.
Every Saturday afternoon, there are groups of men playing card games in the bar - but like you, we haven't got a clue what they're doing!
A friend did teach us some variations of "patience" in Spanish, but we've yet to learn any actual card games.
However, we've had several really good games of dominoes!

It's amazing how we can all communicate, regardless of how little Spanish we might have available, isn't it? It's a huge part of the fun and the new adventure, I reckon

It's great to hear that you're happy and settled; do keep in touch.

Well, must take the dog out in a mo, so will say cheerio for now.
Take care,
Love Sam x