Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

HSBC UK Debit Card fees in Spain

HSBC UK Debit Card fees in Spain

Old Dec 6th 2013, 10:51 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC UK Debit Card fees in Spain

Originally Posted by Tinky
Unfortunately no, we only have an address in Spain.

sister, brother, son, daughter or just a plain postal address - there's lots of businesses do them, even solicitors, but all will charge for a) holding your box b) forwarding on mail to you

I use my sister's address where necessary but all my banking is on-line so don't get the usual statements etc from them.

We know that Unicaja charge for sterling deposits and changing to euros, but AFAIK Santander don't.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tinky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
sister, brother, son, daughter or just a plain postal address - there's lots of businesses do them, even solicitors, but all will charge for a) holding your box b) forwarding on mail to you

I use my sister's address where necessary but all my banking is on-line so don't get the usual statements etc from them.

We know that Unicaja charge for sterling deposits and changing to euros, but AFAIK Santander don't.
That is food for thought, never knew you could get a plain postal address! Thanks for the idea Domino, just need to get UK phone number as well, and that could work very well
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinky
That is food for thought, never knew you could get a plain postal address! Thanks for the idea Domino, just need to get UK phone number as well, and that could work very well
You can get numbers that divert to your Spanish number either 0843 or 0207/8
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I just paid for two, one-way trips on Ryan Air.

Due to their stupid web site (or my incompetence) I paid for one trip in sterling and the other in euros.

Just seen the direct debit statement from Santander (UK) and noticed that the euro transaction was at a poor exchange rate PLUS they charged £1.25 for the transaction!

When did they start doing this?

Have a look at https://www.norwegian.com/ I booked a trip in Jan return for €20

It goes to Gatwick, but its daytime and train is one stop to Essex for £14 !
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I use 'Transferwise' to transfer money from Barclays to my Sabadell non-residents account. They charge £1 for up to £200 transfer then a % after that.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Fionan is an unknown quantity at this point

I travel a lot with work and have started to notice this charge come into effect from Nov 18 2013 onwards. In my case it covered five countries. I was up in arms and angry as all hell so I prepared a spreadsheet to make my case when I called my bank HSBC. However, the guy on the phone knew what I was calling about before I even really started!

It is like a previous poster has suggested. The overall fee to you to use your UK debit card abroad is the same as before but the UK Office of Fair Trading has ruled that all banks must how split all bank foreign transactions into two lines on a statement....one for the actual transaction and one showing the adjustment they make. It is a reporting issue more than a cost issue

Actually calling it a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee is what misled me as I have a particular account (and relevant charge) that does not charge me this. It costs more but I travel a lot so I figured it was worth it.

Bottom line: the guy from HSBC on the phone gave me the impression that I was one of many many callers with the same query/complaint. I think the banks will change their nomenclature somewhat as people are getting very uneasy but The Office of Fair Trading has ruled.

It is hard to do anything but trust the banks (very hard I know) as since the exchange rate keeps changing I cannot compare a transaction in say, Peru in May to a similar transaction in Peru in December.

Note: I am not British or an Expat (living in the UK) but I figured my many hours of investigation today could be shared to save people wasting their Sunday like I have just done. A google search led to you fine people.

Good luck.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:50 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fionan
I travel a lot with work and have started to notice this charge come into effect from Nov 18 2013 onwards. In my case it covered five countries. I was up in arms and angry as all hell so I prepared a spreadsheet to make my case when I called my bank HSBC. However, the guy on the phone knew what I was calling about before I even really started!

It is like a previous poster has suggested. The overall fee to you to use your UK debit card abroad is the same as before but the UK Office of Fair Trading has ruled that all banks must how split all bank foreign transactions into two lines on a statement....one for the actual transaction and one showing the adjustment they make. It is a reporting issue more than a cost issue

Actually calling it a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee is what misled me as I have a particular account (and relevant charge) that does not charge me this. It costs more but I travel a lot so I figured it was worth it.

Bottom line: the guy from HSBC on the phone gave me the impression that I was one of many many callers with the same query/complaint. I think the banks will change their nomenclature somewhat as people are getting very uneasy but The Office of Fair Trading has ruled.

It is hard to do anything but trust the banks (very hard I know) as since the exchange rate keeps changing I cannot compare a transaction in say, Peru in May to a similar transaction in Peru in December.

Note: I am not British or an Expat (living in the UK) but I figured my many hours of investigation today could be shared to save people wasting their Sunday like I have just done. A google search led to you fine people.

Good luck.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary